It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can you bend or arc straight text?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:07 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Hi there,

So I've extracted the Sons Of Anarchy Logo into a transparent background, and removed the original words so I can put my own in there.

I want to curve the new words I'm using with the custom font around the Sons Of Anarchy Logo, like in the original but with my text obviously, at the right angle.

What's the best/easiest way to do this? I've read how you're supposed to put curve around a path, but this sounds more complicated than just bending a word or layer? Can a straight word or object be bent or distorted like that- that would seem logically the easiest way to do this, but I don't know how. Unless the only way is doing an ellipse/layer/ select then putting the text around this?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Can you bend or arc straight text?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:22 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

maybe you can use Filters>Distors>Curve Bend (see help) like this exemple

PS the fonte name is DRAGON

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:48 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Interesting function! Only thing is, it appears to distort the text, which I don't necessarily want to do- do you know how to do it without the distortion so it follows a near circle?

Marcello wrote:
maybe you can use Filters>Distors>Curve Bend (see help) like this exemple

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

PS the fonte name is DRAGON

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:53 pm  (#4) 
Script Coder

Your must avoid bitmap-oriented transforms on text, because it makes it look blurry very fast.

The canonical technique is to use "Layer>Text along path" on a text layer, providing a path to follow. This generates a new path which is the outline of the curved text. Then you use it to generate a selection to bucket-fill. On the same principle; but with more control over the text layout, there is my tex-along-path script.

An easy way to get a circular or ellipse path is to make an ellipse selection and then "Select>To Path"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:07 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Yes I came to that conclusion just now. I'm just watching a video to learn it, and playing around with it. Once you set the ellipse path, can it be moved? I've just done a test it's done it but the text is in the wrong position- it's inside the skull as opposed to being on top of it which is how I want it. Can it only be set at the start or can it be altered later on?

I just downloaded your plugin. However- your instructions refer to a directory I can't find- when I go to the root directory- I have GIMP 2.8 there is no plugin folder- only 32, bin, etc, lib, libexec, pythin, share, uninstall ?!

ofnuts wrote:
Your must avoid bitmap-oriented transforms on text, because it makes it look blurry very fast.

The canonical technique is to use "Layer>Text along path" on a text layer, providing a path to follow. This generates a new path which is the outline of the curved text. Then you use it to generate a selection to bucket-fill. On the same principle; but with more control over the text layout, there is my [url=[/url] script.

An easy way to get a circular or ellipse path is to make an ellipse selection and then "Select>To Path"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:15 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

I'm baffled as to how I'm supposed to select the ellipse path I created, it's not listed in the layers box to my right, I clicked on where is it? Or is it not a layer?

And why when I click on layers in the box the right does it not make that current layer active? Which is the default select tool?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:20 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Founder

Another method..

Download Script

Support Thread

Also, see Curved Text

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:00 pm  (#8) 
Script Coder

dragonsfire wrote:
Yes I came to that conclusion just now. I'm just watching a video to learn it, and playing around with it. Once you set the ellipse path, can it be moved? I've just done a test it's done it but the text is in the wrong position- it's inside the skull as opposed to being on top of it which is how I want it. Can it only be set at the start or can it be altered later on?

On the standard Text-along-apth, the text is left-justified. My script has more option (left/right/centered/spread). The position of the text (normal or upside-down) depends in which direction the path runs. Where you found my script there is also a reverse-strokes script that will swap path strokes end-for-end.

Attachment:
ReversedText.png
ReversedText.png [ 16.25 KiB | Viewed 13470 times ]

See the Path list in the attached XCF for details.

dragonsfire wrote:
I just downloaded your plugin. However- your instructions refer to a directory I can't find- when I go to the root directory- I have GIMP 2.8 there is no plugin folder- only 32, bin, etc, lib, libexec, pythin, share, uninstall ?!

The .gimp-2.8 directoryhas a leading dot. On Linux on OSX, this makes it non-displayed by default. Tell you file explorer to display hidden files and directories.

Attachments:
ReversedText.xcf [31.95 KiB]
Downloaded 172 times

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:28 pm  (#9) 
Script Coder

dragonsfire wrote:
I'm baffled as to how I'm supposed to select the ellipse path I created, it's not listed in the layers box to my right, I clicked on where is it? Or is it not a layer?
"Windows->Dockable Dialogs->Paths". The Paths dock will show a list of an image's paths, similar to how the Layers dock shows its layers. Also similarly, one of the paths will be the active path. You can change which path is active by clicking on its thumbnail preview.

dragonsfire wrote:
And why when I click on layers in the box the right does it not make that current layer active? Which is the default select tool?
If you click on the thumbnail preview, the layer will become active. Clicking on other parts of the layer info (name, visibility, linkage, etc) will not result in a change of the active layer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:05 pm  (#10) 
Global Moderator

dragonsfire wrote:
I want to curve the new words I'm using with the custom font around the Sons Of Anarchy Logo, like in the original but with my text obviously, at the right angle.

What's the best/easiest way to do this? I've read how you're supposed to put curve around a path, but this sounds more complicated than just bending a word or layer? Can a straight word or object be bent or distorted like that- that would seem logically the easiest way to do this, but I don't know how. Unless the only way is doing an ellipse/layer/ select then putting the text around this?

Another way here.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6720

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:22 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Okay thanks will check it out...

ofnuts wrote:
dragonsfire wrote:

On the standard Text-along-apth, the text is left-justified. My script has more option (left/right/centered/spread). The position of the text (normal or upside-down) depends in which direction the path runs. Where you found my script there is also a [url=[/url] script that will swap path strokes end-for-end.

Attachment:
ReversedText.png

See the Path list in the attached XCF for details.

dragonsfire wrote:

The .gimp-2.8 directoryhas a leading dot. On Linux on OSX, this makes it non-displayed by default. Tell you file explorer to display hidden files and directories.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:30 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Okay I've had a mess around with the boxes and starting to understand it now. I've managed to create the text as I wanted it.

One thing I don't understand still is I created the text which curved around the path- but how am I supposed to remove it or move it? I tried deleting the path but the text remained. What is the curved text classed as? If it's not in the layer or path box where is it? Or do I just use the eraser tool?

saulgoode wrote:
dragonsfire wrote:
"Windows->Dockable Dialogs->Paths". The Paths dock will show a list of an image's paths, similar to how the Layers dock shows its layers. Also similarly, one of the paths will be the active path. You can change which path is active by clicking on its thumbnail preview.

dragonsfire wrote:
If you click on the thumbnail preview, the layer will become active. Clicking on other parts of the layer info (name, visibility, linkage, etc) will not result in a change of the active layer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:38 am  (#13) 
Script Coder

If you use the standard text-along-path, the layer with the original straight text can be deleted or just made invisible. Path outlines can be made invisible the same way in the Paths list.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:32 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Okay everyone, thanks for all your contributions

I managed to figure it all out now. One thing that confused me was that the text when applied to the path along layer no longer becomes text and becomes an object onto itself. That I didn't know before. And also you can't rotate or move it until it's been filled in and becomes an object. Nowhere is that really explained and the only way I figured it out was just messing around with it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:17 pm  (#15) 
Script Coder

dragonsfire wrote:

I managed to figure it all out now. One thing that confused me was that the text when applied to the path along layer no longer becomes text and becomes an object onto itself. That I didn't know before. And also you can't rotate or move it until it's been filled in and becomes an object. Nowhere is that really explained and the only way I figured it out was just messing around with it!

Not right... What you obtain is a path. And you can apply the usual transforms (scale/rotation/shear/perspective...) on it, by setting these tools in "Path" mode (rightmost icon in the "Transform" line in the tool options). Actually you get better results if you transform the path as a path and fill it afterwards. This is especially visible with text.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:05 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Right,

But can you explain why for instance, I can't move the text along path until it's filled? Before I fill it I can select it but it can't be rotated etc. Once I put a colour in to make it solid I can, whih is why I made the original point.

ofnuts wrote:
dragonsfire wrote:

Not right... What you obtain is a path. And you can apply the usual transforms (scale/rotation/shear/perspective...) on it, by setting these tools in "Path" mode (rightmost icon in the "Transform" line in the tool options). Actually you get better results if you transform the path as a path and fill it afterwards. This is especially visible with text.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:36 am  (#17) 
Script Coder

Because you don't know how to... Use the Move tool in Path mode:

Attachment:
MovePath.png
MovePath.png [ 48.57 KiB | Viewed 1859 times ]

Incidentally, there is no such thing as a "filled path" in Gimp. There are paths, and there are layers that have been bucket-filled using a selection from some path, that are just like all other layers... All the transform tools apply to paths in addition to layers (they also apply to the selection mask... (middle icon above))..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:43 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Where did that dialogue box come from? it doesn't appear when you go to tools> paths nor is it in the layers box on the right hand side.

ofnuts wrote:
Because you don't know how to... Use the Move tool in Path mode:

Attachment:
MovePath.png

Incidentally, there is no such things as a "filled path" in Gimp. There are paths, and there are layers that have been bucket-filled using a selection from some path. All the transform tools apply to paths in addition to layers (they also apply to the selection mask... (middle icon above).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:46 am  (#19) 
Script Coder

This is the Tool options dialog for the Move tool, once you have clicked the "Path" icon (circled in red). This "Path" icon is available in most transform tools....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:08 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Okay, I've found it. But when I try to move the path it cannot move, going back to my original points. I created the path using the ellipse select tool, and creating a vertical+horizontal centred crosshair guide and then a selection from centre. When I pull up the move path it gives me a symbol showing I can't move it. The path is not locked or linked to anything else. So tell me, what's going on here?

ofnuts wrote:
This is the Tool options dialog for the Move tool, once you have clicked the "Path" icon (circled in red). This "Path" icon is available in most transform tools....