It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MyPaint 0.9.1 released
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:53 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

http://mypaint.intilinux.com/

From the release info:
This is a bugfix release without any new features. Several problems with non-ASCII file names, directory names, and layer names have been fixed, as well as a number of other minor issues. Integration with the Windows platform has been improved.

(If you are moderately versed with computers, I recommend you track MyPaint's GIT repository instead, it's very stable, and you get new features immediately.)
Griatch

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: MyPaint 0.9.1 released
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:54 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Is MyPaint only for Linux? I use Vista unfortunatly...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:58 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Willy wrote:
Is MyPaint only for Linux? I use Vista unfortunatly...

No, while made for Linux originally, MyPaint is available for both Windows and Mac too. Got a nice Windows installer and everything.
Griatch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:01 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Would you recommend MyPaint with GIMP? or is it really only useful for making Comics...

To me it looks like it would not be very useful for me... what are some of the useful features if you don't mind, I would rather trust someone who uses it, as opposed to someone who made it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:13 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Willy wrote:
Would you recommend MyPaint with GIMP? or is it really only useful for making Comics...

To me it looks like it would not be very useful for me... what are some of the useful features if you don't mind, I would rather trust someone who uses it, as opposed to someone who made it.

MyPaint is a highly specialized painting program optimized for use with a graphics tablet. So if you are not interested in painting or don't have a tablet it is probably not for you.

MyPaint is actually intended to be used with GIMP since it has (intentionally) no "image manipulation" features of its own. It uses an "infinite canvas" - it grows as you paint, only limited by the memory of your computer. MyPaint is built around a powerful brush engine that is superior to GIMP's brushes in some ways, and inferior in others. For example MyPaint's brushes are all procedural which allows for very powerful customization and speed. On the other hand it has no support for "image brushes" (so nothing like the "GIMP pepper" for example).

The way I work is that I do the painting work in MyPaint, then export it into GIMP for cropping, detail work, texturing, colour adjustments etc. MyPaint gives me much more freedom and brush configuration options than GIMP (or GIMP-painter) can do, and that suits me well. It's no doubt a matter of taste though.

MyPaint is certainly not only useful for comics, see the screenshot section for some examples. I use MyPaint together with GIMP for all my painting work these days.
Griatch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:16 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Ahh, I don't have a graphics tablet... thanks for all of your help mate :D, sounds like a very nice program though for people how have the Tablet or the Money to get one

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:18 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Willy wrote:
Ahh, I don't have a graphics tablet... thanks for all of your help mate :D, sounds like a very nice program though for people how have the Tablet or the Money to get one

A graphics tablet is relatively cheap these days ... and there are usually used ones to find on places like eBay too. :)
Griatch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:30 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the update news Griatch. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:31 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the update Griatch. :)

I got my graphics tablet today and it cost me about $75. I read lots of reviews and the one I chose (Hanvon 6x4 graphic tablet by Telbac technology) also had a page telling about all the open license software such as gimp, mypaint, inkscape, etc. That to me was a plus if they even mention those software probably meant they made their tablet to work with them also.

It also has other features that are useful editing in word, signatures on items, etc so my partner and I decided to give it a try. I have been playing with it. :)

Liana

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:37 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Lianam are you running it with Windows XP, and if so can you let me know how this works for you?
I was checking out this one -
http://www.thenerds.net/TRUSTIN.Hanvon_ ... ml?affid=4

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:25 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

@ Rod..I have Windows Xp SP3. So far so good. I have never owned a tablet before and then I am learning all the programs too like GIMP and Mypaint for now. I am able to adjust sensitivity of pen I think that will take some time for me to get the hang of since I am use to using a mouse. But mine does allow you to use mouse and pen. :)

Mine came with a bundled software program they have to use with the tablet, 5 pen tips, a CD with drivers and manual. The manual is helpful in learning some about their software. I have played a little on GIMP with it it seems functional at this point. Like I said I am not sure what all I am suppose to be able to do or not do at this point. :lol
Hope this helps.
Liana

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:29 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Opps forgot...I have been playing in mypaint with it too. Here is the link to the company where I bought mine and other info. I believe your tablet is also there. http://www.telbak.com/index.php

Liana

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:51 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Never heard of Hanvon before, but it looks like an unusually neat clone of the Wacom tablets - even down to not needing batteries in the pen. Will be interesting to hear how it behaves with GIMP/MyPaint.
As far as I can tell (reading some threads), Linux support is near non-existing though compared to linux-wacom which is supported by Wacom themselves, this is the only Linux driver I can find: http://linux.fjfi.cvut.cz/~taxman/hw/hanvon/
Griatch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:31 am  (#14) 
Global Moderator

I love MyPaint, more so than Corel Painter. I just wish the "very hard to read" brush labels were a tad easier to read without me having to magnify the monitor screen and lose drawing space.

Is there a way to make the mouse hover text larger without effecting screen resolution?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:08 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Sweet i ordered it - doesn't look like it supports any other system than Mac or windows drivers wise but the tablet is pretty nice and for 75 dollars -and a 1 year warranty not bad.

Thank you, your order has been placed.
An e-mail confirmation has been sent to you.
Order Number:
* 1 item will be shipped to Rod ****** by Telbak Technology LLC. Estimated delivery March 29, 2011 - April 1, 2011

YAY! :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:46 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
I love MyPaint, more so than Corel Painter. I just wish the "very hard to read" brush labels were a tad easier to read without me having to magnify the monitor screen and lose drawing space.

Is there a way to make the mouse hover text larger without effecting screen resolution?

Mahvin i believe whatever you set your gtkrc file in your user folder (must be in your my documents folder)
That is what it will be in all your gtk themed apps for that particular user.You can try it.
I have mine set to 10 and comic sans and all my apps including myPaint use it.Inkscape was dif though i had to change that one inside Inkscape itself and add some engines to it.

The code for my GTKRC file in my documents folder - you can change the theme name to fit your current one though.
# Auto-written by gtk2_prefs. Do not edit.

gtk-theme-name = "Aurora-Midnight"
style "user-font"
{
   font_name="comic sans ms 10"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"

I am not guaranteeing it will work but it might. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:58 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Before you actually tried it - I thought it was anything worthy of attention.
I was very wrong - the possibilities are amazing brushes !

Slava
Ukraini!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:10 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

@ Rod Yay!! :) I hope it works for you. I painted some more in mypaint and it seems functional and I am starting to get use to it. I will try in GIMP today again and see what it does. I seen photomaster mentioned something about a setting in GIMP when another tablet user lost function of their pen. I will look into that and see.

@Griatch. yes, I noticed it only supports windows and Mac when I bought it; maybe that will change over time. I am thinking about setting up my partner's laptop with mint10 and see how it works. We do not use the laptop currently so it is a good way to learn without losing computor usage. :rofl Maybe I will ask the company for help in using their tablet with linux mint and see what they will do once I get to that point.

@Mahvin I wished I really understood all the functions of the brushes I am still learning. So I doodle and scribble then wipe the slate clean and start over again. :paint

Liana

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:47 pm  (#19) 
Global Moderator

I'm considering following a Bob Ross video using my tablet. The problem I foresee is comparing the paint brushes he uses, as well as putty knives. I don't see big flat brushes or a putty knife. Is it possible to create them in MyPaint as it is done in GIMP?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:01 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

@Mahvin

MyPaint has much more flexibility to create (procedural) brushes than GIMP, really. It doesn't support image-brushes however, as mentioned. There are several flat brushes in the default distribution, and also at least one knife-brush. I don't know about the video you refer to though, there are a large amount of brush packages for MyPaint you can install and which he might be using (I've always been happy with the defaults myself though).

As far as I know there is no way to enlarge the brush image in the brush selector. What you CAN do however is to open the brush edit window and (if I remember correctly), the expandable lower part. This will show a much larger thumbnail of the brush currently selected.
Griatch