It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Color slopping outside of selection
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:03 pm  (#1) 
Retired Staff

GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Linux
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

I was going to make a pdf of the Paint with a Gradient tutorial for Gimp 2.8 and I am not having very good luck. Here is a path to the tutorial.
viewtopic.php?p=2281#p2281

First, the Foggy Circle brush does not work well, I had to enlarge it to 17 to get it to work at all.

Second, the paint is not confined to the selection. I zoomed in to 400% and you can see the color slopping between the selections.

Third, the colors don't flow. I had practically all red in the squares. Moving the brush in different directions helped some.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Color slopping outside of selection
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:28 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Oregonian wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Linux
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

I was going to make a pdf of the Paint with a Gradient tutorial for Gimp 2.8 and I am not having very good luck. Here is a path to the tutorial.
viewtopic.php?p=2281#p2281

First, the Foggy Circle brush does not work well, I had to enlarge it to 17 to get it to work at all.

Second, the paint is not confined to the selection. I zoomed in to 400% and you can see the color slopping between the selections.
[ Image ]

Third, the colors don't flow. I had practically all red in the squares. Moving the brush in different directions helped some.

This may or may not be a silly question, but is the layer mode set to RGB?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:30 pm  (#3) 
Retired Staff

Wallace wrote:
Yep. I think you meant Image Mode when you said Layer mode, Wallace.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:00 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

If it paints outside the selection area this means only one thing - the selection has feathered edges.
Are you sure you used Alpha 2 Selection, not Color Select tool with Feather Edges enabled?

As for the color flow, what brush dynamics did you use? You might need to adjust the Fade length.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:03 pm  (#5) 
Administrator

Oregonian wrote:
Wallace wrote:

Yeah, image mode. :hehe
I've experienced this too. I haven't found a cause for this, but I usually have to work around this manually however I can. It seems to happen more often with small selections of a few pixels or so.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:41 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
Oregonian wrote:
Wallace wrote:

Yeah, image mode. :hehe
I've experienced this too. I haven't found a cause for this, but I usually have to work around this manually how ever I can. It seems to happen more often with small selections of a few pixels or so.

Wallace, are you implying that the image mode defines how the selection and the brush dynamics behave, or that they don't work as expected?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:40 am  (#7) 
Script Coder

You need to disable Anti-aliasing in the Text Tool Options dialog when performing Step 2 of your tutorial.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:58 am  (#8) 
Administrator

K1TesseraEna wrote:
Wallace, are you implying that the image mode defines how the selection and the brush dynamics behave, or that they don't work as expected?

Only if one tries to paint with a gradient while the image mode is other than RGB. I've also notice when trying to fill very small selection that sometime it ventures outside the given selection. This could have something to do with anti aliasing being enabled.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:10 pm  (#9) 
Retired Staff

OK, this has taken me some time to put together:

@ k1te: I used alpha to selection on the text, shrank it 2 pixels.

@ saulgoode: How would turning off antialiasing in the text tool change the shrunk selection using the paintbrush on it? I did not turn it off in either version.

I no longer have gimp2.6, but have 2.8.6 on one hard drive and 2.8.14 on the other so I tried it with those two versions; Incremental was checked in v2.8.6; I accidentally cut it off. Here are my results:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:42 pm  (#10) 
Script Coder

Oregonian wrote:
@ saulgoode: How would turning off antialiasing in the text tool change the shrunk selection using the paintbrush on it? I did not turn it off in either version.

Short answer: Try it!

Your problem occurs before you shrink the selection. It occurs before you perform Alpha to Selection. The problem arises because the text is being scaled before it is drawn on the layer. Since you don't have antialiasing unchecked, the pixels of the scaled text do not align exactly with the pixel locations of your layer and fractional components of the text coordinates get interpolated. (For example, while a fully opaque pixel in the scaled text may be located at x=1.5, with antialiasing it would get drawn as a 50% opacity pixel at location x=1.0)

In the following screenshot, the upper text was drawn without anti-aliasing; the lower text with it. As you can see the anti-aliasing results in pixels around the edges being various shades of gray. These pixels end up becoming partially selected when you perform Alpha to Selection, and will become partially drawn on when you paint with your brush.

Attachment:
SS-aa-text.png
SS-aa-text.png [ 7.31 KiB | Viewed 5679 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:34 pm  (#11) 
Global Moderator

Yes, you can sure see the difference, cool

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:35 am  (#12) 
Retired Staff

saulgoode wrote:
Oregonian wrote:

Short answer: Try it!
OK, I tried it and it worked. Interestingly, in v2.8.6 I didn't need to change the aliasing, it worked fine without going over the selection boundaries.

Painting the selection in 2.8.14 with a gradient is just not as nice as it was in .6 or (I believe) in 2.4x that the original tutorial was written with.

This tutorial is definitely not suitable for 2.8.14. The only difference in it and .6 is that I am using Fedora 20 in 64 bit as opposed to Fedora 17 in 32 bit which may or may not make the difference.