It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rotating Brushes
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:39 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 8.1
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Okay, so for my first trick...

Just kidding. For my first question, it has to deal with the brushes. The current project which brought me to the idea of trying GIMP is the creation of a map. I would like to create a map for a story I have been fiddling with in my head for some time.

I have the water and the general land mass. Now I would like to start adding trees and mountains and such. I figured the best way would be to create some brushes.

The creation part wasn't too much trouble; I had only run into a "Permission denied" error that I worked around for now. Using them is the problem. I've exported them into both the gih and gbr format types but it still hasn't worked right for me. Well, I guess that's not completely true as it worked the first time when I tried my first brush to see if it worked.

Sorry, rambling. :oops: The problem I've come across since then is the rotation of the brushes. I'd like to use it like stamps to put trees whereever I want on this map without sketching them ALL out. (I'll save that for another project.) But now they rotate randomly and are rarely upright.

How can I fix a brush in a specific way so that it won't rotate while I'm using it?

Sorry it's long but this has been frustrating me for a few days and I've only seen tutorial to rotate said brushes and even these don't work. :gaah

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Rotating Brushes
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:08 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
MixedPassion wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 8.1
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Okay, so for my first trick...

Just kidding. For my first question, it has to deal with the brushes. The current project which brought me to the idea of trying GIMP is the creation of a map. I would like to create a map for a story I have been fiddling with in my head for some time.

I have the water and the general land mass. Now I would like to start adding trees and mountains and such. I figured the best way would be to create some brushes.

The creation part wasn't too much trouble; I had only run into a "Permission denied" error that I worked around for now. Using them is the problem. I've exported them into both the gih and gbr format types but it still hasn't worked right for me. Well, I guess that's not completely true as it worked the first time when I tried my first brush to see if it worked.

Sorry, rambling. :oops: The problem I've come across since then is the rotation of the brushes. I'd like to use it like stamps to put trees whereever I want on this map without sketching them ALL out. (I'll save that for another project.) But now they rotate randomly and are rarely upright.

How can I fix a brush in a specific way so that it won't rotate while I'm using it?

Sorry it's long but this has been frustrating me for a few days and I've only seen tutorial to rotate said brushes and even these don't work. :gaah

You may need to set the brush Dynamics to Basic, or turn it off entirely.
If you're using animated/brush pipes or what's also known by it's file extension as .gih, you will run into the issue of how the brush was constructed and with how many layers there are and in what direction each layer was suppose to paint in, regardless of brush dynamics.
If you use a plain gbr, there shouldn't be any issue with rotating the brush as you see fit. As long as the brush dynamics is set properly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:33 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

There are lots of free tree and shrub brushes available.

Attachments:
trees-3.7z [3.46 MiB]
Downloaded 200 times

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:57 pm  (#4) 
Global Moderator

More tree brushes

Attachments:
trees-4.7z [95.42 KiB]
Downloaded 144 times

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:07 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you so much. I'll keep the tip in mind for if it happens again. It's really confusing but for some reason what was happening yesterday to me did not happen tonight when I tried again and I hadn't changed anything, except maybe to open it as an administrator on my computer. (I hate when my computer turns me into a liar.)

As for the free ones, I wasn't sure how to credit the author let alone how to really install the brushes for use.

Besides, I just spent 2 hours playing with GIMP and not getting frustrated! :yes Made a nice tree on top of that if not so simple as a map would require. I think that's a start. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:06 pm  (#6) 
Global Moderator

You place the brushes in your C:\ users\ your name\.gimp-2.8.xx\brushes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:23 pm  (#7) 
Script Coder

Hi!-

If you are looking for map making help, check out http://www.cartographersguild.com (full disclosure I am a co-admin there).

Lots of tips, tricks and tutorials, including using gimp image hoses (GIH brushes) to lay down objects.

Check out my (admittedly dated) 315 thousand time viewed tutorial on mapping with gimp http://www.cartographersguild.com/tutor ... g-map.html

-Rob A>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:54 pm  (#8) 
Global Moderator

Very impressive Roba. Kudos