It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Marching ants don't show (bug)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:59 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 8
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

I've been using GIMP for my comics for a while now. A couple of days ago I got myself a WACOM Intuos tablet to improve my process. It has all worked like a charm (well, except for the fact that I can't seem to figure out how to do anything with it properly. But I'll learn eventually) except for this really annoying bug.

Occasionally the marching ants that show a selection will just plain disappear. I'd post a screenshot but there's not much to show. I already tried Ctrl+T x2. Quickmask works properly and I can see the selection in the other windows. And GIMP acts normally as if the selection was there. However the lack of ants is really staunching my workflow (I never thought I'd say that exact sentence).

Refreshing seems to fix the problem but a couple of minutes of using the tablet makes the bug reappear.

This doesn't happen if I'm not using the tablet. And it didn't happen before I enabled GIMP to use the pressure and angle sensitivity features of it.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Marching ants don't show (bug)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:26 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

wow, that one is a poser.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:41 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Check your setup with this guide.
(PDF) Wacom Intuos Pen & Touch and GIMP Configuration for Windows

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:17 pm  (#4) 

Odinbc wrote:
Check your setup with this guide.
(PDF) (link removed due to anti-spam policies) Wacom Intuos Pen & Touch and GIMP Configuration for Windows[/url]

There wasn't much of help in there. I had already done almost all of these steps when I configured it the first time. To be sure I double-checked and everything is still there as the guide says, then I used the tablet again for a few minutes and the bug reappeared.

molly wrote:
wow, that one is a poser.

Excuse me, are you talking about the bug? Or insulting me? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with this forum so I have no idea.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:35 pm  (#5) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
aHappyIguana wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 8
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

I've been using GIMP for my comics for a while now. A couple of days ago I got myself a WACOM Intuos tablet to improve my process. It has all worked like a charm (well, except for the fact that I can't seem to figure out how to do anything with it properly. But I'll learn eventually) except for this really annoying bug.

Occasionally the marching ants that show a selection will just plain disappear. I'd post a screenshot but there's not much to show. I already tried Ctrl+T x2. Quickmask works properly and I can see the selection in the other windows. And GIMP acts normally as if the selection was there. However the lack of ants is really staunching my workflow (I never thought I'd say that exact sentence).

Refreshing seems to fix the problem but a couple of minutes of using the tablet makes the bug reappear.

This doesn't happen if I'm not using the tablet. And it didn't happen before I enabled GIMP to use the pressure and angle sensitivity features of it.

Have you tried uninstalling, then reinstalling the Wacom software, to see if this helps?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:11 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

No worries, Iguana, Molly was speaking about the technical problem! Goodness, the other meaning never even crossed my mind when I read it!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:44 pm  (#7) 
Script Coder

There is a longstanding bug that I have also experienced:

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=678055

For me it only happens on large images and only when using my wacom tablet.

The devs can't reproduce it, and so can't fix it.

-Rob A>