It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GIMP and GEGL in 2014
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:12 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hello :)

We posted an extensive report on changes in GIMP and GEGL in 2014: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-us ... 00012.html.

Some of the 2014 highlights are:

— Redesigned Blend tool, now you can tweak end points before applying the gradient fill;
— Improved foreground selection tool that handles fine details like hair;
— Finer control over painting dynamics;
— Up to 64bit per color channel processing;
— Improved file formats support, including 32bit TIFF loading/saving.

To answer the most important question, releasing 2.10 implies meeting some prerequisites.

1. Releasing new version of GEGL (requires finalizing a few things and checking all filters ported from GIMP).
2. Releasing first unstable GIMP 2.9 version.
3. Tying all loose ends in both GIMP and GEGL.

The more code contributions we get, the faster it happens.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: GIMP and GEGL in 2014
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:22 am  (#2) 
Script Coder

Thank you for taking the time to create this summary and for sharing it. It is very much appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:48 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the update Alexandre! We really appreciate it :bigthup

Some new great stuff I didn't even know was in development -
new Blend tool with live preview, draw mask for the color selection tools, etc.

Read about TITO a few years back but thought it had been given up by the gimp team.
Glad I was mistaken :)

"The text tool was updated by Mukund Sivamaran to use HarfBuzz library
directly instead of relying on deprecated Pango functions."

Does this also mean that GIMP will be able to support (potentially, in the foreseeable future?)
advanced OpenType features, like ligatures, swashes, small capitals, true fractions, etc.
and be able to display all glyphs in OTF cmap table? Pango was a real limiter to that, and AFAIK,
Pango devs weren't planning on developing such a support.

Also, UTT wasn't mentioned. Correct me here if i'm wrong, gotta be a gegl-related tool - redrawing using OpenCL and such?
Or was it all finished in 2013?

Thanks again for the good news.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:11 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

K1TesseraEna wrote:
Does this also mean that GIMP will be able to support (potentially, in the foreseeable future?)
advanced OpenType features, like ligatures, swashes, small capitals, true fractions, etc.
and be able to display all glyphs in OTF cmap table? Pango was a real limiter to that, and AFAIK,
Pango devs weren't planning on developing such a support.

First of all, I'm not sure, what it has to do with Pango. It's just a low-level glyph shaper. It's doesn't and shouldn't display a list of all glyphs or anything like that.

Also, GIMP already uses contextual ligatures automatically. You can try it with e.g. ever-popular Lobster typeface which has tons of them.

We've been meaning to improve the Text tool, and advanced OTT features are on radar:

http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/Text-Handling_in_GIMP
http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/Work_in_progress_on_text

But unless Peter is back to work on UI, and another developer joins to work specifically on that, this will be postponed.

K1TesseraEna wrote:
Also, UTT wasn't mentioned. Correct me here if i'm wrong, gotta be a gegl-related tool - redrawing using OpenCL and such?
Or was it all finished in 2013?

UTT wasn't updated in 2014: https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/log/a ... formtool.c

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:30 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the head's up Alexandre; shared the into at another site that I frequent. :)

Psalm 109:8