It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 69  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bevel Reflect Logo V1.6 (FG-BG Gradient Bug Fixed)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:51 am  (#1001) 
GimpChat Founder

kenlawson wrote:
I have been unable to get this plug-in to work in the 2.8 version of Gimp Portable. The script is there but when I try to use it I am told that the plug-in is not, even though I have tried the plug-in in more than one folder. I am using Windows 7 64 bit and have the 64 bit version of the plug-in. Could anyone please help with this?

Hi,

You'll need to ensure you have Bevel Reflect Logo V1.6 and ML Bevel Reflect V2.0 installed.

Place Bevel Reflect Logo V1.6 in your scripts folder.
Place ML Bevel Reflect V2.0 in your plug-ins folder.
Ensure your don't have multiple copies of the script and/or the plug-in installed.

If you have both of these items installed in the correct folders and you do not see ML Bevel Reflect V2.0 under the Filters/Map menu, you can try starting GIMP from the command prompt. Doing so might display an error message that could give a clue as to why it's not working.

I'm not that familiar with the GIMP Portable but have you installed other 3rd party plug-ins, ones with .py or .exe file extension? If so, ensure you place: MLBeveReflect.exe in that same plug-ins folder.

That's about all the suggestions I have for now. Let us know your progress and perhaps we can assist you further.

Post subject: Re: Bevel Reflect Logo V1.6
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:43 am  (#1002) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you for your help. I have the latest versions of both the files concerned. Gimp Portable is on my E-Drive, well away from the Windows protected areas on the C Drive. My scripts are installed in App/Gimp/Share/Gimp/2.0/scripts; my plug-ins in App/Gimp/Lib/Gimp/2.0/plug-ins. I also have G-MIC and the Alpha to Logo-EnviroLogo script, which works well. GMIC installed itself into Data/Gimp/plug-ins The problem seems to be with the plug-in not the script. The 64 bit plug-in is simply not recognized at all, despite the fact that I am using 64 bit, and I get a message telling me where it can be obtained. The 32-bit plug-in is recognized and works properly if I use Create - Logos (gimpchat.com) - Bevel Reflect Logo. However, if I use it under Filters - where it appears under both Filters - Map and Filters - Alpha to Logo - it works and then crops the image in such a way that only the top part of the letters are left. The fact that it does work under Create - Logos I have only just realized and this does, of course, give me quite a lot of functionality, for which I am grateful. It is a tremendously useful plug-in.

Last edited by kenlawson on Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:12 am  (#1003) 
GimpChat Founder

That's for the additional info, Ken. It does appear that the ML-Bevel-Reflect (64bit) exe plug-in is not loading correctly for you.

The Bevel Reflect Logo (.scm) script will appear in two locations: File/Create/Logos(gimpchat) & Filters/Alpha To Logo.

If it's being loaded correctly, ML Bevel Reflect 2.0 plug-in appears under Filters/Map.

If BRL V1.6 does not see the ML Bevel Reflect V2.0 registered in GIMP (didn't get loaded) under Filters/Map, the script will generate a warning message, telling you where the required plug-in can be obtained.

Since ML Bevel Reflect 32bit is being recognized, it tells me that you are placing the plug-in in the correct location. I think your next step is to place the ML Bevel Reflect 64bit plug-in into the plug-ins folder and start GIMP from the command prompt (you can include the verbose option for more details). Running GIMP from the command prompt will direct any warning/error messages to the console. When it tries to load the ML Bevel Reflect plug-in, it will display any error message at the command prompt window. This might give us a clue as to why it's not working for you. It might have something to do with the fact that you're using the portable version, which a version of GIMP that I'm not familiar with.

I might split these posts to another thread. Sometimes it's helpful to have a separate thread for specific problems (GIMP portable), such as this.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:21 am  (#1004) 
GimpChat Member

Many thanks again. After further experiments I was rewriting my second post as you were replying to it. See whether what I say there now makes any difference, but if you still want me to load from the command prompt I will need to be told how to do this as I don't think it is something I am familiar with.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:33 am  (#1005) 
GimpChat Founder

Give this a try with the 32bit version that's working from File/Create.

1) File/New to create a new image and enter some text, say at 200px.
2) Right click the text layer & perform: Layer to Image Size.
3) With that layer still highlighted and no manual selections in place, run Filters/Alpha to Logo/Bevel Reflect Logo

Attach the results of that test here so we can see what's happening.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:51 am  (#1006) 
GimpChat Member

Hi GnuTux.

This is a wonderful script. Do you have any plans for a plug-in version with live preview in future?

Cheers.

Joseph

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:56 am  (#1007) 
GimpChat Founder

josephbupe wrote:
This is a wonderful script. Do you have any plans for a plug-in version with live preview in future?

Hi Joseph,

You can get a live preview now by calling the plug-in in interactive mode. Under Bevel - Slope Options dropdown, select "Run Interactive". If you load up several emaps before doing this, you can live preview the results using any of the emaps you previously loaded.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:01 am  (#1008) 
GimpChat Member

Wonderful news !

Again, thank you GnuTux and stay well.

Joseph

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:14 am  (#1009) 
GimpChat Member

I did as you suggested and the cropping has now disappeared and the plug-in functions to my satisfaction, if perhaps not to yours. I have not been able to work out how to get it to display here and when I provided a link to imagebam was told that the post looked too spammy for a new user.

Ken

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:29 am  (#1010) 
GimpChat Founder

Hi Ken,

I think that your clipping problem occurs because you are running BRL from the Alpha To Logo menu on a layer containing text information. Problems can occur when there is an incorrect selection in place (entire layer is selected) or the layer contains additional text information. To avoid this issue, I suppose I could just automatically discard the text information from within the script, when applicable.

Before running from Alpha to Logo, you might want to ensure the layer is sized to the image and the entire layer is not selected. If there is no selection in place, the script will automatically perform an "Alpha to Selection" on the layer, otherwise, you can manually select the section of the layer in which you would like to apply the effect.

As far as why the 64bit version of the plug-in is not working for you, I'm not sure. At least the 32bit version works for you in GIMP portable, so you're good to go. :bigthup

You need 5 post to be able to use external links here. However, you can attach images using the board's image attachment feature, located just below the "Submit" button on the post entry screen (Full Editor).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:53 am  (#1011) 
GimpChat Member

Hi GnuTux,
If it is simply a matter of following the steps you gave then the plug-in is completely functional as far as I am concerned and I am delighted to have it. Many thanks,
Ken

Attachments:
Logo2.jpg
Logo2.jpg [ 57.76 KiB | Viewed 933 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:11 am  (#1012) 
GimpChat Founder

Looks great, Ken, Glad you got it working. :2thup

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:25 am  (#1013) 
Global Moderator

Very beautuful Ken, I love the gold with the purple, really makes it shine.
Did you try shrinking the selection a 2 or 3 pixels before running the script, that helps to get a smoother edge.

I just found the instrucs in my arsenal, It was written by Tux back in one of the previous posts

One little trick you can use to always get smooth edges is to use a technique I employ in the Logo Toolbox script, which is to create (what I call) a Text Stroke. Nothing in GIMP produces better anti-aliasing than fonts, so use that to your advantage.

1) Create your Text in a medium to light color, like cyan on a transparent layer.
2) Duplicate the Text, make it invisible and move to the bottom for later use.
3) Select the original Text Layer and perform Alpha To Selection.
4) Shrink the selection by the amount of the stroke you want, using 2 for a good blend stroke.
5) Run Bevel Reflect Logo from the Alpha to Logo Menu, with "Keep Layers" unchecked.
6) Make the duplicated Text Layer visible and move it just under the newly created Logo Layer.

Now you've got a nice smooth edge. You can then use Colors/Hue & Saturation to match/blend it with the logo layer. Or you can hue shift it to make a totally different color stroke. Either way, you end up with a really smooth edge..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:14 pm  (#1014) 
GimpChat Founder

Good tip, MoIly. :smiley2

Been trying to get an iridescent effect. I'm getting close with plasma overlays.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:35 pm  (#1015) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux wrote:

Been trying to get an iridescent effect. I'm getting close with plasma overlays.

[ Image ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:44 pm  (#1016) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux, beautiful results!
here my playing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:00 pm  (#1017) 
GimpChat Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:14 pm  (#1018) 
Script Coder

I like the first one Warrior! What emap did you use on that? (If you don't mind sharing, that is)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:24 pm  (#1019) 
GimpChat Member

jontait2 wrote:
I like the first one Warrior! What emap did you use on that? (If you don't mind sharing, that is)

This one was the basis of it: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9677&start=200#p144694

I also had overlays of some transparent emaps I made: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10670

I'll add the xcf.

Attachments:
IrLogo.xcf [1.85 MiB]
Downloaded 56 times

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:39 pm  (#1020) 
Script Coder

:tyspin :bigthup Thank you for that Warrior, that is interesting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 69  Next