It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: GIMP 2.8.2 text tool bug
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:51 am  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

jay3fer: what have you tried so far to prevent that cutting off of tops and sides? it's a most annoying bug, but when i use the text tool i usually find ways to get around the problems. the best tips are in this thread, though, so if you've read it all through and you don't find it helpful i don't think there is a solution for you :(.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:00 am  (#22) 
Script Coder

If you do text-to-path, is the path cut off? If not, just do text to path, discard the text layer, create a new layer, make a selection from the path, and bucket-fill.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:04 am  (#23) 

Well, I just saw the kerning tip, so I'll try that the next time it's cutting off the end of a line. :-(
As for now, I have fiddled with the baseline and between-line spacing. That's about all I could think of.

The effect is always subtle (I didn't even notice it at first at smaller sizes), but annoying as it makes GIMP less of a go-to for graphics of any kind.
Screenshot attached (couldn't link bc I'm a new user).
Attachment:
gimpimage.jpg
gimpimage.jpg [ 234.39 KiB | Viewed 1030 times ]

Since it doesn't do this with every font, I have been known to switch fonts, but really -?! Shouldn't be necessary, and it makes me sad since GIMP is such a power player in so many other ways. :(

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:43 am  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

jay3fer: hmm... that one should have come out alright. did you use the bold style? and did you try ofnuts tip? i have stopped using bold style in the gimp text editor, i just type it in normal style, blur a duplicate slightly and use the curve tool on the alpha channel to get smooth edges, that gives me the effect of bold type without the cutting. but i agree, it is a disadvantage with gimp, this text tool bug. for me it's not much of a problem, but it depends so much on what you want to make.