It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Game Logo - Blox - updated
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:22 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Okay well, I haven't named my breakout style game so...this is the name I like, at least for now. It's pronounced Blocks but I wanted it to look cooler...I'll be in the dictionary soon now, I know it! :lol ..If selfie can do it anything can....anyways. :rofl

So this is what I've come up for a logo, I might change it. Right now I like it, but I might get over it faster than it took me to make it.

Image Image
________

Update:

____
Update:

Edit: By the way, the font for Blox is Jokerman.
___

Ideas are welcomed!

~ God Bless ~

~ Moko

Last edited by Mokonafan on Wed May 13, 2015 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: New Game Logo - Blox
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:05 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

From an artistic perspective, I think it's a good logo. I like the use of gradients---it's eye-catching, which is certainly important for a logo :)

From an advertising perspective, though, I think it falls short in one important way. It doesn't say much about what the game is. If the icon is sitting in an array of other icons in a game listing, then I think you would benefit from having a logo that suggested what the genre of your game is.

All it would take is adding a paddle, and maybe a ball bouncing off of one of the blocks you already have. Then the genre would be obvious, and so more likely someone would click on it and find your game.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:51 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I like the logo - the font and colouring are really cool but merrak makes a good point.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:14 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
I like the logo - the font and colouring are really cool but merrak makes a good point.

:tyspin

merrak wrote:
From an artistic perspective, I think it's a good logo. I like the use of gradients---it's eye-catching, which is certainly important for a logo :)

From an advertising perspective, though, I think it falls short in one important way. It doesn't say much about what the game is. If the icon is sitting in an array of other icons in a game listing, then I think you would benefit from having a logo that suggested what the genre of your game is.

All it would take is adding a paddle, and maybe a ball bouncing off of one of the blocks you already have. Then the genre would be obvious, and so more likely someone would click on it and find your game.

Hmm, there is a point there....Though, I planed when I make images requiring the logo I would make it more obvious...I dunno. It gives me something to consider. It's good to have more options anyway. I like how the gradients look too, maybe I can use the same concept but with a few features changed...I'll see what I come up with. :tyspin :hi5 :D

Post subject: Re: New Game Logo - Blox - updated
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:35 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:08 am  (#6) 
Global Moderator

Moko, I like it but are you using a grid or guides for layout? The symmetry seems off especially the relation between the two sets of blocks and the shades of color in the blocks should be prominent in the text or vice versa. Are you using a limited color palette?

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:21 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Odinbc wrote:
Moko, I like it but are you using a grid or guides for layout? The symmetry seems off especially the relation between the two sets of blocks and the shades of color in the blocks should be prominent in the text or vice versa. Are you using a limited color palette?

I can't work on a grid, lines hurt my eyes trying to see. I turn grids off in other programs too. I don't know why but they make it harder for my to work. I noticed the other block being a different color (the pink one is more a maroon) I didn't think it was that obvious. D:

I don't use a limited pallet if you mean a setting or something....Theme yes...I can see what happens if I change some colors around... :D

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:53 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:42 pm  (#9) 
Global Moderator

What I mean by limited palette; for a logo limit the palette to 2-6 colors max of the same shade. Gradients are fine but they should be primarily from the limited palette. A logo should also look good in grayscale. For logo layout try designing from the logo focal point out. For example (to test), if you set horizontal and vertical guides at the focal point expand a circle selection from centre to the outside edge to gauge symmetry or use a rectangle selection, either with rule of thirds guides (or one of the other selection guide options).

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:26 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I think the updated version does a much better job showing what the game is. I don't think the 2-6 color rule needed here--although, I should have first asked what the purpose of the logo is. I imagined something like you would find on the front page of addictinggames.com.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:33 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

merrak wrote:
I think the updated version does a much better job showing what the game is. I don't think the 2-6 color rule needed here--although, I should have first asked what the purpose of the logo is. I imagined something like you would find on the front page of addictinggames.com.

Right now, making a splash screen isn't working so I might have to just use the logo, and I found-out that I can make the splash screen transparent SO just the logo might work.

Odinbc wrote:
What I mean by limited palette; for a logo limit the palette to 2-6 colors max of the same shade. Gradients are fine but they should be primarily from the limited palette. A logo should also look good in grayscale. For logo layout try designing from the logo focal point out. For example (to test), if you set horizontal and vertical guides at the focal point expand a circle selection from centre to the outside edge to gauge symmetry or use a rectangle selection, either with rule of thirds guides (or one of the other selection guide options).

Oh. I never was good with rules. :lol
Wasn't aware I had any. xD

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:15 pm  (#12) 
Global Moderator

No rules: 65 expert logo design tips

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:40 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Odinbc wrote:

Good tips! Glad you posted that; I'm doing a logo design myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:32 pm  (#14) 
Script Coder

@Mokonafan - I'd encourage you to create your own font for the game, as it is only four letters :)

Do you have screen grab of the game you can share? Or a theme? Something that differentiates your game from other block breaking games?

-Rob A>