It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tooltips
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:47 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Does anyone know if there's a way to disable, or at least shorten the duration of, the little tooltip that shows in the bottom bar on the Linux version of GIMP?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Tooltips
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:56 am  (#2) 
Script Coder

That isn't a "tooltip" - it's an "info" message that is produced automatically whenever you do Edit>Copy (or a script or plug-in invokes the equivalent procedure).
AFAIK you cannot disable the message, but you can re-direct by activating the Error Console dockable dialog.
ie.
<Image> Windows > Dockable Dialogs > Error Console
This will create a new tab in the upper-right window in Gimp, after the "Layers", "Channels", "Paths", etc tabs, and all info/debug/error messages will then be shown on that tab rather than on the bottom line of the main Gimp window.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:07 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks! That fixed it.

It was getting annoying, since I had to wait for it to disappear before I could read the status on how many pixels I had moved a selection.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:12 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

Great!
Just bear in mind that, in future, all error messages will be shown on the Error Console rather than the bottom line of the main Gimp window - usually if an error message is produced by a script or plugin, Gimp will automatically show the Error Console tab (rather than Layers, etc) - but sometimes it doesn't. So if a script or plugin appears to "do nothing", check the Error Console tab.