It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crossing borders - comic (8 pages)
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:01 pm  (#41) 
GimpChat Member

Mokonafan wrote:
LOL he got some very distinct features. xD
I like the flow of this page..I think it's a little inconsistent with her lips though. One frame she has dark green lips the other frames it's just shaded and an outline. I think that the trees dark outline in the smaller frames doesn't fit with the background of the troll using the whistle.

Her hands are much better. And I love her expressions. :D

Thanks again for the feedback! Don't agree with you in this particular case though. :) The lips are pursed in one image and lit very differently in the next, so I don't think there is an inconsistency here, rather it would be strange if they looked the same from step to step, it's a part of making the expression dynamic (I'm glad you like the expressions overall!). As for the trees, they cannot match since we are watching the forest from different angles when seeing the whistling background and the other frames.

AnMal wrote:
griatch: i really like the vaette :). they are a bit hairier than i expected them to be! i always pictured vättar unoriginal and boring, like garden gnomes - i prefer this style.
it's funny, the details moko says she has problems with are actually good examples of what i like best about this while strip so far: a great sense of what's important and not. i mean, the trees are of major importance in the small frame where the vaette start showing up, but of very minor importance in the frame where she blows the whistle and that shows in the style you drew the trees in. makes good sense to me and it makes the strip clear and easy to follow.
i'm less fond of troll girl's whistle. i did get that it was some sort of flute or whistle, but i can't help wishing it was more interesting to look at. guess the thought of magic instruments catch my fancy :).

The Vätte are fun to draw. And yeah, "gnome" is really a pretty bad translation for the scandinavian word "Vätte". There is something called "gnom" in Swedish too, although that may be an imported English word from D&D rather than from the original legends, I don't know. The varying style of trees is indeed to help guide the eye to the important bits without having a completely homogenous background, cool that you think it works!

As for the whistle, I needed something you could imagine her to be able to easily hide somewhere since I didn't want to spend a frame on her producing it out of thin air or something. :) If you look at it, it's actually quite detailed and quite weird of shape, far more so than a normal flute or whistle would have been at least. :) But I see your point on it perhaps not being as impressive as a magical instrument ought to be perhaps. A matter of taste I suppose.
Griatch

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:24 am  (#42) 
GimpChat Member

Griatch wrote:
[ Image ]
(click for DA version)

Page 8: Call in the cavalry. You might recognize the vaette from other works of mine. :) This is also an example of a troll flute (more of a pipe here, admittedly). . Commends and critique welcome as always!
Griatch

so far I didn't disturb your ongoing creation, but this one (excellent, indeed) "called" me for a (moderate, you should admit) interpretation from my side

Attachment:
crossing_borders_page_8_by_griatch_art-d8t87uc_DN1.jpg
crossing_borders_page_8_by_griatch_art-d8t87uc_DN1.jpg [ 740.46 KiB | Viewed 1215 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:33 pm  (#43) 
GimpChat Member

@dinasset

Your version is a more Disney-like take on the color-scheme if I'm not mistaken. :)
Griatch

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 3:48 am  (#44) 
GimpChat Member

still in the great area of fairy-tales...

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:08 am  (#45) 
GimpChat Member

a couple of other "variations"
this one approaches Lyleik's style
Attachment:
crossing_borders_page_8_by_griatch_art-d8t87uc_DN2.jpg
crossing_borders_page_8_by_griatch_art-d8t87uc_DN2.jpg [ 799.87 KiB | Viewed 1192 times ]

this one has more to do with pencil draw and free composition
Attachment:
crossing_borders_page_8_by_griatch_art-d8t87uc_DN3.jpg
crossing_borders_page_8_by_griatch_art-d8t87uc_DN3.jpg [ 544.39 KiB | Viewed 1192 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:14 am  (#46) 
GimpChat Member

@dinasset

While flashy the first one is probably a bit unclear as to what is going on I think. The second one has a nice sketchy style to it. Interesting variation to paste a forest image for the background. :)
Griatch

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:15 am  (#47) 
GimpChat Member

(click for DA page)

Page 9: Negotiations. Spent a lot of time tweaking things to get expressions right, and their relative proportions. It was challenging to convey the meaning without words. Comments apreciated as usual.
Griatch

Post subject: Re: Crossing borders - comic (9 pages)
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:51 am  (#48) 
GimpChat Member

griatch: i found this harder to understand than the earlier parts, but i got there in the end, so it can't be too much of a problem - maybe just me being a bit thick :-). the blush on the vätte in the last frame is priceless and troll girl's expressions look just right too. don't really have a lot to comment on apart from that, to me it looks like you know exactly what you're doing with this picturewise and i follow the story with pleasure.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:42 pm  (#49) 
GimpChat Member

Ohhhh I was like AnMal I didn't get it at first because I didn't see her take the earring off, I thought he had given it to her but now I get it...What a sly little guy he is. xD
Her mouth looks a little odd in the first frame too.

His ears remind me expressively like Dopey from Snow White when she kissed him on the forehead....that wow! type feeling. xD

Cute page. :P :3

Last edited by Mokonafan on Sat May 16, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:14 pm  (#50) 
GimpChat Member

In the first panel her mouth looks kinda strange.
The others panels are lovely. ^^

Post subject: Re: Crossing borders - comic (10 pages)
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:07 pm  (#51) 
GimpChat Member

(click for DA version)

Page 10: Moonlit awakening?

Comments on page 9:
AnMal wrote:
griatch: i found this harder to understand than the earlier parts, but i got there in the end, so it can't be too much of a problem - maybe just me being a bit thick :-). the blush on the vätte in the last frame is priceless and troll girl's expressions look just right too. don't really have a lot to comment on apart from that, to me it looks like you know exactly what you're doing with this picturewise and i follow the story with pleasure.

Yeah, the kissing page is a little harder to get - a case where having speechbubbles would help clarify things. I reworked those expression a lot - this was probably the hardest page I did so far when it comes to revisions.
I think I've slowly found my way with the style but I'll wait to evaluate until after this is finished.

Mokonafan wrote:
Ohhhh I was like AnMal I didn't get it at first because I didn't see her take the earring off, I thought he had given it to her but now I get it...What a sly little guy he is. xD
Her mouth looks a little odd in the first frame too.

His ears remind me expressively like Dopey from Snow White when she kissed him on the forehead....that wow! type feeling. xD

Cute page. :P :3
Corvo wrote:
In the first panel her mouth looks kinda strange.
The others panels are lovely. ^^

Concerning the mouth - I have no real motivation for this particular shape beyond the fact that I sketched it like this and thought she looked cute that way, so I kept it. :)
Trust the vaette to score the best rewards! ;)
Griatch

Last edited by Griatch on Thu May 21, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:16 pm  (#52) 
GimpChat Member

Sorry, the link on DA is on previous chapter (9)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:27 pm  (#53) 
GimpChat Member

@dinasset

Ah, thanks, fixed. :)
Griatch

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:39 pm  (#54) 
GimpChat Member

if it's night, this is my personal view:

Attachment:
crossing_borders_page_10_by_griatch_art-d8u7fo6_DN1-nightview.jpg
crossing_borders_page_10_by_griatch_art-d8u7fo6_DN1-nightview.jpg [ 418.62 KiB | Viewed 830 times ]

if it's not the moon....sorry!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:56 pm  (#55) 
GimpChat Member

@dinasset

Yep, it's indeed the moon. Your version is interesting, if way too dark for my taste at least - one can't really see what is going on. :) Still, interesting that you think the original is too bright.
Griatch

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:06 pm  (#56) 
GimpChat Member

"truth is inbetween" (in medio stat virtus)
overlayed nightview over base
Attachment:
crossing_borders_page_10_by_griatch_art-d8u7fo6_DN2-nightview-overlay.jpg
crossing_borders_page_10_by_griatch_art-d8u7fo6_DN2-nightview-overlay.jpg [ 435.97 KiB | Viewed 826 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:15 am  (#57) 
GimpChat Member

griatch: looks good! i wonder what he'll think when he wakes up fully! troll girl is a bit ... over-powering as a first sight after unconsciousness, perhaps?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:17 am  (#58) 
GimpChat Member

@dinasset
More visible now. :)

@AnMal
He does seem to waking up ... and yes, I imagine she is! :)
Griatch

Post subject: Re: Crossing borders - comic (11 pages)
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:19 pm  (#59) 
GimpChat Member

(click for DA page)

Page 11: What the heck happened?
Griatch

Post subject: Re: Crossing borders - comic (11 pages)
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:29 pm  (#60) 
GimpChat Member

Annnnnd the rock is back. :lol

I really love how the troll girl looks in the 10th page. And the night colors are nice.
The expressions of the knight look pretty nice, the mouth looks a little "funny" in the 2nd frame 3rd face. A little too triangle. But it could be a style choice. And the eye that is further away in the 2nd frame and 2nd face looks a little saggy....thought he did wake up, but in the first frame his eyes looked very lively. Maybe the fact he woke up caught up to him!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next