It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is it just me?
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:30 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Is it just my imagination or does it seem like every little 10 year old kid is making Gimp tutorials on youtube? The deeper I search the more kindergartners I run across. It's possible I guess, that I'm just a grumpy old geezer but I really don't mind little kids making tuts, I just don't want to be stuck with a partial video because their recess ran out.

Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Is it just me?
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:41 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

If you are talking about GimpKnowHows channel, I think he is amazing....... He is young but he sure knows his stuff.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:06 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Not specifically, no. I'd put him in junior high or so. I was thinking a really young sounding British girl I heard. She didn't interest me so I don't remember her name. Yes, I agree, the Gimkphowhow kid is pretty good, I'm subscribed to 3 of his channels. The only problem that i have with him is that he goes to fast sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:13 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

yes he does go quite fast. I have to write everything down anyway so I have to keep stopping and starting the video....

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:27 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

No it isn't just you. GimpKnowHow started making videos after he saw FDvisions make GIMP video tutorials, unfortunately the latter deleted his videos and his account, such a shame, they were good videos.
Anyway, GKH is a talented smart boy and made good videos from the start. He's adored by lots of boys of his age and younger and they want to do the same. Unfortunately not all of them are as good in making videos and a lot of them start making tutorials before they know much about GIMP.

I started to make videos because it takes a lot less time and energy to make a video then to make screenshots and type everything down. I was unaware what I signed up for though, I am now friends with loads of 12 year old boys. :lol A lot of them think, that because computer related tutorial videos are mostly made by 12 year old boys, I'm one too. A comment like "Dude, you sound like a girl! :shock: " is not uncommon for me to get. :rofl

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:04 pm  (#6) 
Retired Staff

Well "Dude" Jolie, you have a real following there. Congratulations. :rofl

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:49 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks dude! ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:51 pm  (#8) 
Retired Staff

They are following someone of high quality. That's a BIG plus!

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:24 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Your FAQ video about not being a 10 year old boy cracked me up when I watched it. I saved everything you've made, I've been teaching my wife how to use Gimp and I've encouraged her to watch yours and malgalin's as I think his and yours are some of the best.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:31 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks. Malgalin's videos are indeed very good. He explains everything he does in his videos so you learn a lot from them.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:55 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

I also noticed alot of young ones doing the teaching. Children are the roots of society now though. I am glad they are learning and hopefully will continue to. I myself may not be older, but learning from someone younger than myself, is sorta funny. It amuses me and amazes me. I am still glad they are learning and continue to make the tutorials. I am giving malgalin's a shot and GKH is good. I will have a look at yours to Jolie.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:22 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Jolie's are always good, informative and most of all (for me) happy and uplifting. I like malgalin because of the same reasons, he's funny and he explains things well. I haven't found many tuts that I really learn something new these days but a good tut will make me think 'hmmm, I never thought of doing that like that before.' I don't mind the little kids 'teaching' but I won't tolerate the ones that spew useless profanity and the ones that say things like 'open up the pen thingy.' If they want to teach they need to be able to communicate and understand their subject.

My wife like's malgalin because of the way he talks (I must confess that I do too) and thinks the GKH kid is cocky, which might be true but I don't mind a little attitude if there s something to back it up and in his case there is. He communicates well (except for clearing his throat every 12 seconds) and he understands his subject. He has two or three channels and I'm subscribed to all of them. Monsoonami is also good and I'd reccomend trying him out too although he only has a few tuts for Gimp.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:01 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Okay, I almost died laughing here, especially when you said "He communicates well (except for clearing his throat every 12 seconds) and he understands his subject."

GimpKnowHow actually uploaded some new videos recently and HIS VOICE IS SO DEEP!

http://www.youtube.com/user/GimpKnowHow

I know this was posted a while ago, but I wanted to see if GimpKnowHow was on Gimpchat so I could badger him into posting a picture of himself now that he's grown up!

Anyways, hilarious post! I seriously died laughing!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:26 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

He has several channels and has done a few since 2.8 has come out and yes, his voice is filling out but then it's been 2 years since I made the original post. He seems like a good kid though, a lot of them these days seem to want to spew profanity, like it's cool. I don't think it is or necessary for a good tut. Malgalin is my favorite. Monsoonami is my second favorite.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:46 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Very different now isnt he...I'm glad someone reminded me of this kid as I quite like his tutorials.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:38 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

I like his tutorials, too. He's a very talented prodigy! I am so glad his voice changed, though, it makes him seem a thousand times more professional. He's actually changed his focus to photoshop, now. Which is sad, because he was really good at gimp.