It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Embossed edges
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:14 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hi,

I have a textured layer above which I have another layer also textured but smaller in size. I want to have an embossed effect around this small layer so that it looks like the two textures are folded in where they meet.

How can I achieve this, please?

Joseph

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Embossed edges
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:40 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

You mean like a pillow emboss?

Or something like this?

I used bump map (Filters - Map - Bump map) If this is what you want, you basically blur the edges of the smaller layer (just enough to round off the edge, maybe 20px or so) and then select the larger texture layer, go to Filters - Map - Bump map. Select the smaller layer as the bump map, check invert, and raise the depth until you're satisfied.

Depending on what you are using for the smaller texture, will determine how smooth or rough the inverted area will look. If you want to keep it consistent with the larger texture layer, just use a solid grey fill for the smaller layer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:03 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Hi mahvin,

Yes, like a pillow emboss. I saw it being done in photoshop but I am a fun for GIMP.

Joseph

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:42 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

The following steps assume that your larger textured layer is initially the same size as your image.

• "Image->Canvas size..." - Increase the canvas size by about 100 pixels. Center the result (click on the :alntool button in the dialog).
  • Right-click on the thumbnail preview of the smaller layer in the Layers Dialog and select "Alpha to selection" from the menu.
  • "Filters->Decor->Add bevel..." - uncheck "Work on copy" and set the Thickness to suit your taste (the larger the Thickness, the "deeper" the pillowing effect).
  • Make the larger texture layer active by clicking on its thumbnail preview in the Layers Dialog.
  • "Select->Invert"
  • "Filters->Decor->Add bevel..." with the same settings as before ("Filters->Repeat 'Add bevel'", or CTL+F will accomplish the same thing).
  • "Image->Fit canvas to layers"

Increasing -- and then later decreasing -- the canvas size is needed because otherwise the Add Bevel script will add a bevel to the outer edge of your large texture layer (in addition to beveling the "inner" edge). There are other, slightly more complicated, ways to avoid this from happening if resizing the canvas does not suit your situation.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:08 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Mahvin that looks like the strange image that has been haunting ofnuts. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:49 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Thanx saulgoode,

I give it a fresh try.

Joseph

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:19 am  (#7) 
Retired Staff

This has been moved to the tutorial forum. It has excellent embossing information in it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:02 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I actually use the decor/add bevel function to get a kind of frame which includes the image I have made.
I use either the rectangular or ellipse tool to make a selection inside the border of the image, depending on how wide I want it to be.
Then invert, go to decor/add bevel and set the level to anywhere between 15 and maximum....the result of which I shall post below this text.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:33 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

akky wrote:
I actually use the decor/add bevel function to get a kind of frame which includes the image I have made.
I use either the rectangular or ellipse tool to make a selection inside the border of the image, depending on how wide I want it to be.
Then invert, go to decor/add bevel and set the level to anywhere between 15 and maximum....the result of which I shall post below this text.

Fantastic idea Akky! :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:49 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Rod. I'd seen it done on other imaging programs and was determined to find a way using GIMP. I refuse to believe that I am handicapped because I dont have the big name big dollar programs, because I think that when one starts to unlock the capabilities of GIMP then the sky is the limit and you can match those with your own ingenuity and the help of GIMP.