It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Simplifying the scripting process
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:57 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I recently had the idea of writing my scripts (.txt files) in situ in the script folder itself.

In the scripts folder I highlighted everything and using properties set everything to hidden. In what now looks like an empty script folder, I placed one image for testing purposes and a template .txt file.

Previously when working in a folder in My Documents the process was

Modify script
Save script with different name
Save as .scm file
Drag and drop .scm file into script folder
Click into script folder
Delete previous .scm version
Click back into working folder
Test in gimp

Working directly in the script folder the process is

Modify script
Save script with different name
Save as .scm file
Delete previous .scm version
Test in gimp

This saves me the constant dragging, dropping and clicking back and forth between folders. To date there have been no adverse effects, that I’ve noticed.

I wonder what other script writers do to make their script processing easier, care to share

Steve

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Simplifying the scripting process
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:18 am  (#2) 
Script Coder

Even with your simplified process I don't understand why you're doing all this re-naming, copying, deleting etc :?:

Let's start with "Why are you creating files with a .txt extension?"

And if you want to keep the folder-clutter down, create a new "development" folder somewhere, add it to the list of Folders for scripts in GIMP preferences and work there.

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:31 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

paynekj wrote:
Even with your simplified process I don't understand why you're doing all this re-naming, copying, deleting etc :?: Kevin

I like to save previous versions of the .txt files, if as I often do I go down a dead end with a script I can go back and try another route

paynekj wrote:
Let's start with "Why are you creating files with a .txt extension?"Kevin

I write all my scripts in a .txt file, before renaming as a .scm file, I don’t know any other way

paynekj wrote:
And if you want to keep the folder-clutter down, create a new "development" folder somewhere, add it to the list of Folders for scripts in GIMP preferences and work there.Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I will look into this

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:47 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

I just use notepad++ to edit the .scm file directly in the scripts folder.
Then I just save.
And test in Gimp.
I like notepad++ because it recognizes many file formats..so you see here it highlights many of the keywords in blue
and it highlights matching brackets when you move your cursor to the front or the end of bracket. if there are multiple brackets next to each other it'll highlight the one you're at the end of.

and it does a pretty good job at auto complete words like if you had many variable names and don't remember them this helps
Image.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:10 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I just wish someone would come up with a nodal gui to create scripts like Mathmap did. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:33 pm  (#6) 
Script Coder

lylejk wrote:
I just wish someone would come up with a nodal gui to create scripts like Mathmap did. :)

Don't worry lylejk, soon they'll have software that speaks to you and asks what kind of effect you want then it does it and keeps asking you to tweak it to your liking at least that's what i am hoping for.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:50 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

trandoductin wrote:
I just use notepad++ to edit the .scm file directly in the scripts folder.
Then I just save.
And test in Gimp.
I like notepad++ because it recognizes many file formats..so you see here it highlights many of the keywords in blue
and it highlights matching brackets when you move your cursor to the front or the end of bracket. if there are multiple brackets next to each other it'll highlight the one you're at the end of.
[ Image ]

and it does a pretty good job at auto complete words like if you had many variable names and don't remember them this helps
[ Image ].

Thanks for the heads up on notepad++ :bigthup , looks great

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:58 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

paynekj wrote:
Even with your simplified process I don't understand why you're doing all this re-naming, copying, deleting etc :?: Kevin

Ok obviously there was another way, which I have now found :oops: :oops: :oops: (x1000) :hehe

paynekj wrote:
Let's start with "Why are you creating files with a .txt extension?"Kevin

I see now the .txt files are redundant