It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What does gimp do better than photoshop?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:52 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

This is actually a really good question.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: What does gimp do better than photoshop?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:29 pm  (#2) 
Script Coder

That's why it is asked so often...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:42 pm  (#3) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
It has an Open Source Architecture.
Unlike Photoshop,
anyone can modify the core code,
develop plugins and new features,
without approval by some "development team".

Not to mention the free upgrades.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:42 pm  (#4) 
Global Moderator

Wilber
:gimp

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:41 pm  (#5) 
Global Moderator

*GIMP makes countless thousands (if millions isn't considered reaching per the download counter. Yes I know, many re-download often.) of people HAPPY, FREE of charge.

*GIMP gives explicit access to coders/hackers/developers/programmers/and beyond (including noobs!) to make it whatever they want it to be. GIMP Painter, anyone?

*GIMP unites it core users in that those users seek one another out and converse like actual human beings should, instead of developing a high-minded attitude and encouraging elitism. (FACT: every GIMP user I have encountered on the PROFESSIONAL side of the world are actually very friendly and approachable, you can even email and exchange information. That approach within the Photoshop domain, tends to have some distance between two people engaging in conversation, even if electronically.) As an example, I could email Ofnuts or Saulgoode and actually get a response. However, Ruben, hongkiat, Scott and others of Photoshop fame, good luck getting your emails answered by those actual users. They outsource their blogs, believe it or not. You'll find a lot more GIMP tutorials online than you will Photoshop (yes, most are intermediate or beginner level). The gist is, if you want GIMP help, even with scripts and plugins, you'll most likely get it in the GIMP community.

*GIMP is unassuming. It is what it is. You either like it or you don't.

*GIMP with G'MIC is ONE HECK OF A POWER GRAPHICS tool. And you can even code your own G'MIC filters! Try creating yourself some fancy filters for Adobe. Uh huh, not an easy task to accomplish, at least not with the ease you could with GIMP and G'MIC.

*GIMP doesn't care what you think of it. It's just there for the taking. But sure, Photoshop came from Royal bloodlines and all, everyone please curtsy.

*GIMP totally rocks, considering everything we already know about it, including its fan base right here in GIMP Chat.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:02 am  (#6) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
mahvin wrote:
*GIMP makes countless thousands (if millions isn't considered reaching per the download counter. Yes I know, many re-download often.) of people HAPPY, FREE of charge.

*GIMP gives explicit access to coders/hackers/developers/programmers/and beyond (including noobs!) to make it whatever they want it to be. GIMP Painter, anyone?

*GIMP unites it core users in that those users seek one another out and converse like actual human beings should, instead of developing a high-minded attitude and encouraging elitism. (FACT: every GIMP user I have encountered on the PROFESSIONAL side of the world are actually very friendly and approachable, you can even email and exchange information. That approach within the Photoshop domain, tends to have some distance between two people engaging in conversation, even if electronically.) As an example, I could email Ofnuts or Saulgoode and actually get a response. However, Ruben, hongkiat, Scott and others of Photoshop fame, good luck getting your emails answered by those actual users. They outsource their blogs, believe it or not. You'll find a lot more GIMP tutorials online than you will Photoshop (yes, most are intermediate or beginner level). The gist is, if you want GIMP help, even with scripts and plugins, you'll most likely get it in the GIMP community.

*GIMP is unassuming. It is what it is. You either like it or you don't.

*GIMP with G'MIC is ONE HECK OF A POWER GRAPHICS tool. And you can even code your own G'MIC filters! Try creating yourself some fancy filters for Adobe. Uh huh, not an easy task to accomplish, at least not with the ease you could with GIMP and G'MIC.

*GIMP doesn't care what you think of it. It's just there for the taking. But sure, Photoshop came from Royal bloodlines and all, everyone please curtsy.

*GIMP totally rocks, considering everything we already know about it, including its fan base right here in GIMP Chat.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:49 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

o well, it got a short name and of course there is wilbur

they are both toolbox power-packs and got there own way to handle things
but the bigger they get, they still can't bring me my coffee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:50 am  (#8) 
Global Moderator

Give it time. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:26 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP gives me a fatter wallet. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:36 am  (#10) 
Retired Staff

Oppario, you seem to keep asking questions about the program GIMP (stands for Gnu Image Manipulation Program) instead of asking questions about using it. Are you on a vendetta trying to show that GIMP is an inferior program compared to Photoshop?

We are close-knit community of enthusiastic people here to help each other understand and use GIMP, and we get enjoyment from doing it.

We honestly don't really care what Photoshop is doing or how good it is. Most of us don't know enough about Photoshop to compare. We love GIMP.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:57 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Oregonian wrote:
Oppario, you seem to keep asking questions about the program GIMP (stands for Gnu Image Manipulation Program) instead of asking questions about using it. Are you on a vendetta trying to show that GIMP is an inferior program compared to Photoshop?

We are close-knit community of enthusiastic people here to help each other understand and use GIMP, and we get enjoyment from doing it.

We honestly don't really care what Photoshop is doing or how good it is. Most of us don't know enough about Photoshop to compare. We love GIMP.

No I just have problems with gimp and I love asking questions.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:15 am  (#12) 
Global Moderator

Oppario wrote:

What kind of problems? Any problem that any number of kind people on GIMP Chat can help you with? It's pretty obvious (almost) everyone is happy with GIMP, fatter wallets, and versatility. What can you be helped with aside from us waving a magic wand and converting your GIMP to Photoshop. Let's talk about that, too.

I own three versions of PS, btw. So your questions about GIMP vs PS do not trouble me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:26 am  (#13) 
Retired Staff

Oppario wrote:

Well instead of asking us what we think about Photoshop vs GIMP, ask us about what you are having trouble with in GIMP. That's the way to learn about it. You say you are having trouble with it. Did you have trouble learning Photoshop?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:49 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Oregonian wrote:
Oppario wrote:

Well instead of asking us what we think about Photoshop vs GIMP, ask us about what you are having trouble with in GIMP. That's the way to learn about it. You say you are having trouble with it. Did you have trouble learning Photoshop?

GIMP is one of my first raster graphics editors I know the basic stuff but I don't know everything my school uses GIMP so i'm going to learn it there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:16 pm  (#15) 
Retired Staff

We are here to help you with your problems with gimp. Not to tell you how GIMP and PS compare. You need to ask us about problems you are having with gimp.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:00 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Ever tried uninstalling Photoshop?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:18 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Yes ask questions about problems with GIMP and you will be surprised how many people will step up to give you a hand solving your problems.
You could also do a search for the problem your having as it may have already been solved in a previous thread. Gimp Chat members have worked a lot of them out together.

RJKD wrote:
Ever tried uninstalling Photoshop?

:lol installing CC is no fun either. I tried twice and couldn't get 3D to work without crashing. Even their techs got remote access to my machine and couldn't figure it out.

In my honest opinion PS is just way too beefy and complicated now. GIMP is lean and mean and getting better all the time.

And i sure can't write scripts for PS! Maybe action files but that isn't the same. Nope i am done with PS for good.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:34 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Doesnt Photoshop cost around 500 dollars?

My answer would be, its free

And for me its fun when people make new plugins and scripts to try out and mess around with.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:29 pm  (#19) 
Global Moderator

Norseman143 wrote:
Doesnt Photoshop cost around 500 dollars?

My answer would be, its free

And for me its fun when people make new plugins and scripts to try out and mess around with.

It's funny that several years ago when bootchk came out with the new revised Resynthesizer version via Python, there was a big PS push on content aware fill for PS, and bootchk's version of resynthesizer actually worked better than the version of PS content aware fill at that time. I participated in a comparison test online and the revised resynthesizer easily beat content aware fill. The people using PS tried calling foul, claiming GIMP users were actually using Content Aware fill and claiming it was being done in GIMP. I submitted a screencast of me using the resysnth tool by bootchk to put that nonsense to rest. I wonder if visiting the Wayback Machine would give us access to those online discussions, because for once in my life, I was able to tell a PS fanboy to zip it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:49 pm  (#20) 
Global Moderator

Interesting story mahvin :bigthup

Spirit Bear (Kermode)