It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Editing a graphic created in GIMP
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:21 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Hi Folks,

I created a graphic in GIMP by using that A Text in the ToolBox window. Ex. You create a text box in a jpg or png and in that text box you type words and then save that.

Now I wish to move that “text box” graphic to the right or up or down _OR if I wish to edit that “text box” by changing or adding words (alphabet characters) in that “text box”.

Is it possible to edit this graphic once saved?

Thanks so much.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Editing a graphic created in GIMP
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:37 am  (#2) 
Script Coder

"Saved" as XCF yes (if you kept the layers separate), "exported" to JPG no.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:53 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Script Coder,

So, I guess in the future before I finalize a graphic l'll have to first save it as XCF and only when I'm completely satisfied with everything, then export to jpg or png.

Lesson learned.

Do you know of any other program which allows you to edit a graphic in a graphic?

I was trying to move that "text box" a little to the right away from an object which appears in the photo.

Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:01 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

eagertolearn wrote:
Hi Script Coder,

So, I guess in the future before I finalize a graphic l'll have to first save it as XCF and only when I'm completely satisfied with everything, then export to jpg or png.

Lesson learned.

Do you know of any other program which allows you to edit a graphic in a graphic?

I was trying to move that "text box" a little to the right away from an object which appears in the photo.

Thank you for your help.

Hello eagertolearn. If you export to JPG all transparency is lost and thus are the layers lost also. You will have to start over and save your XCF often File/Save . Also if you want to re edit text be sure and keep it as TEXT (T next to the layer name) and not rasterized. Once you rasterize a layer of text its no longer editable within a text box.

Do you have the original photo before you added text to it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:43 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Rod,

I'm so sorry for being so GIMP-dense but is it at all possible that you could please post a graphic or photo of where exactly I should be seeing the letter "T"?

Yes, I took the photo with my camera and uploaded to my PC (Windows 7).

I inadvertently created the Text box (letter A in the Toolbox) too close to an image in the photo and now I wanted to move just the text box over to the right but I'm afraid since I exported it as both .png and as a .jpg I've painted myself into a corner.

Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:21 pm  (#6) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
eagertolearn wrote:
Hi Rod,

I'm so sorry for being so GIMP-dense but is it at all possible that you could please post a graphic or photo of where exactly I should be seeing the letter "T"?

Yes, I took the photo with my camera and uploaded to my PC (Windows 7).

I inadvertently created the Text box (letter A in the Toolbox) too close to an image in the photo and now I wanted to move just the text box over to the right but I'm afraid since I exported it as both .png and as a .jpg I've painted myself into a corner.

Thank you for your help.

Click on the thumbnail below.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:03 pm  (#7) 
Script Coder

eagertolearn wrote:
Hi Script Coder,

Lesson learned.

Thank you for your help.

It's not a matter of Gimp. Once the image is in a single layer, it is difficult to tell which pixels are from the text and which are from the photo, so getting a clean result is hard (not impossible, but above the skills of a beginner). Plus if you move the text the space left by the moved text will have to be filled by something... If you had the image saved as XCF it's only a matter of moving the layer and re-exporting. OTOH if it's only text over an image it doesn't take much time to redo from scratch, in any case it will be much faster than trying to edit the JPEG.

To make a parallel, if you write a text document your keep the .DOC or .ODT, you don't expect to edit the resulting PDF if you want to make changes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:45 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Hi scriptcoder,

Thank you for elucidating.

I now have a little better idea of the challenges.

I'm taking away form this much appreciated conversation to export/save all GIMP work in its native XCP format until I'm absolutely certain I want/need to make any further modifications and only then to export to jpg or png.

I think anyone teaching a newbie class in GIMP would help students immensely if that was the first advice (or one of them) in startling to use GIMP. I never saw that mentioned in the GIMP books at the library or YouTube tutorials but it's very important and I so appreciate you sharing that. I will pass that on to others I know trying to learn GIMP on their own. Thank you! This list has been sooooo helpful for which I'm very grateful.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:19 pm  (#9) 
Script Coder

eagertolearn wrote:
I'm taking away form this much appreciated conversation to export/save all GIMP work in its native XCP format until I'm absolutely certain I want/need to make any further modifications and only then to export to jpg or png.

Not "only then". You can export intermediate JPEG/PNG all you want, as long as you save to XCF. In case you didn't notice, after you exported your JPG, Gimp told you the image wasn't saved. You likely found this annoying and hit the "Discard changes" button. This distinction between Save and Export is there to make sure you cannot forget to save to XCF. Like a seat belt, it's sometimes annoying. But it also (figuratively) saves lives.

eagertolearn wrote:
I think anyone teaching a newbie class in GIMP would help students immensely if that was the first advice (or one of them) in startling to use GIMP.

Someone who omits this isn't 'teaching'. This person is at best passing oral traditions like an old shaman.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:37 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Hey ScriptCoder,

I'm soooo glad you pointed that out!

That's exactly what I've been doing. I Export and then don't save but now I can see you share a great point.

Export as Jpg or png BUT... save as XCP - the best of both worlds.

Very cool.

Really appreciate your insight. Very helpful.