It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where can one find GIMP .exe Command Line Arguments documentation?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:42 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.18
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

Hi!

I currently have my system setup to open images with GIMP using "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.8.exe" as my external editor, but I can't find any documentation on it's command line arguments (aka parameters/options)...

EDIT: Command Line Arguments available at:
[ // cannot-post official gimp link: says I'm too newb on this forums and thinks it's SPAM... If a moderator PM me, I'll provide the link to put it here.. ]

My problem:
-Currently, there's the "-a" or "--as-new" argument that opens a file in as a new image. By default, it's what GIMP does even without specifying it. What I'm looking for though, is a way to open as a new layer... Let's say using: "--as-layer" or "-l".

Another great example of a command line argument usage is with my beloved Firefox; for which I use this series of options all the time: "firefox -p -no-remote", which allows different profiles to run simultaneously. :D

Thanks!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Where can one find GIMP .exe Command Line Arguments documentation?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:01 pm  (#2) 
Script Coder

try

"C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.8.exe" --help

Post subject: Re: Where can one find GIMP .exe Command Line Arguments documentation?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:59 pm  (#3) 

How d'you think I found about the "-a" argument? ;) Thank you for the effort!

Is there any way to have an external program tell GIMP to open an image as a layer?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:36 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

are you trying to automate something?
If you have gimp opened already, you can like use something like ghostmouse to automate.
maybe i can help if you let me know exactly what you're trying to do.

looks like you create .py script or scheme script.
and then call gimp with batch mode. I have never done this before but from what i can tell it looks pretty straight forward
if you're able to write .py or scheme (I could probably help with that).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:07 pm  (#5) 

Thank you for your question. Let me clarify my workflow, which is in my opinion quite efficient:

My default image viewer is IrfanView and I have GIMP setup as an external editor. In a single shortcut key and without skipping a beat, I feed files into GIMP all while I keep browsing images. When I'm done browsing, I simply switch back to GIMP and start working.

If I could use such a "send-to-layer" argument I could send images either as new projects (xcf/session/tab) or group some in layers in the same xcf session.

Makes sense?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:09 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Dare say one of the clever guys can point to a command line to open several images. Probably depends if IrfanView can produce a suitable list of file names to feed into the command.

A more hands on approach with Gimp and in this case XnViewMP.

1. Select the files in XnView, drag into the Gimp Window. Traditionally the 'Wilbur' space at the top of the tools is used. Use this if you already have an image open otherwise it opens as layers (see 2)
Attachment:
open-images.jpg
open-images.jpg [ 121.54 KiB | Viewed 4003 times ]

2. Select the files and drag into layers dialog or the Gimp window.
Snags: Needs an image already open.
Layer size is critial, first becomes default. Might need to use Image -> Fit canvas to layers.
Attachment:
layers.jpg
layers.jpg [ 93.85 KiB | Viewed 4003 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:43 pm  (#7) 

Take a deep breath and laugh hard - I never even considered drag 'n' dropping files... lol

But that gave me an idea to achieve exactly what I wanted! I'll simply use my copy-to function in IrfanView.

When I want images for a same project, I send a copy to a temp directory, when I need just one, I send it to GIMP directly and when I'm done browsing, I just Ctrl+A the images of said temp directory and drop them in GIMP, which will open them as layers in single projects (tabs). It's quick, precise and easy.

If someone knows how to do it via command line arguments though, I'm always listening.

Thank you for the feedback! :D

P.S.: I know it sounds a like a lengthy process, but it's only 2 keyboard taps without leaving full screen viewing. Press F8, then either 1, 2 or 3. Repeat. Drag 'n' drop and Fit canvas to Layers when finished. Voilà!

Attachment:
File comment: Temporary destinations in IrfanView (F8 - Copy file...)
temp_folders.jpg
temp_folders.jpg [ 116.3 KiB | Viewed 3982 times ]

Attachment:
fit-to-layers.jpg
fit-to-layers.jpg [ 95.27 KiB | Viewed 3982 times ]

(Which can be assigned a shortcut via GIMP's shortcuts editor)