It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Issues adding color to desaturated image
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:53 am  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 10
GIMP Experience: New User

Hey there guys

This is most likely something really basic but I haven't been able to find out a way around it since im very new to gimp.

My issue is i desaturated an imagine to color it. I can't seem to color it without the details of the picture being overlapped. I am also having issue with the lighting. I've made a transparent layer over it and change it to a color layer. I can color but in the lighter parts the color is very light. For example, im using red but the red is normal on darker surface and it barely shows in the lighter parts.

I also cannot color black or white on the image without the lines/details of the picture being overlapped. I've tried looking it up all over google but cant find an answer.

Thank your for your time and help!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Issues adding color to desaturated image
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:00 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Difficult to say without more information.

What do you mean by details of the picture being overlapped? If you paint within a selection you can prevent overlapping?

I take it your transparent layer is above the desaturated layer. Are you using a layer mode (eg grain merge) for the transparent layer? If so, which one? Have you changed any other settings for the layers (opacity)?

Have you changed any settings for the brush (mode, opacity, dynamics, etc). If so, what settings are you using?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:30 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

Vakosh wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 10
GIMP Experience: New User

Hey there guys

This is most likely something really basic but I haven't been able to find out a way around it since im very new to gimp.

My issue is i desaturated an imagine to color it. I can't seem to color it without the details of the picture being overlapped. I am also having issue with the lighting. I've made a transparent layer over it and change it to a color layer. I can color but in the lighter parts the color is very light. For example, im using red but the red is normal on darker surface and it barely shows in the lighter parts.

I also cannot color black or white on the image without the lines/details of the picture being overlapped. I've tried looking it up all over google but cant find an answer.

Thank your for your time and help!

By default painting completely replaces the pixels. if you want to combine your existing pixels with the new paint, use either a different mode on the Paint tool (try "multiply"), or better add layer; paint on it (paint tool in "Normal" mode) but set the layer in a different mode (try "Multiply"). Instead of "Multiply" you can also try "Color" mode (on either the Paint tool or the paint layer).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:20 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

When I first got GIMP it was to make custom desktop icons for my kids movies folders...I can't believe where it's gone from there! (I'm a 40 y/o carpenter that just decided to try and learn) I started out running through the tutorials on their homepage, and that was VERY informative and helpful. I ended up here
(after stalking as an unregistered user) for some answers to questions I just couldn't seem to crack, so you came to the right place! I don't really know what your end goal is on your image, or what your trying to do, and changing layer settings is a fairly advanced thing to be doing for basic re-coloring of a photo...your question made me think back to my first days, and this handy tut. This is right from the GIMP homepage under tutorials. https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Layer_Masks/ and https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Selective_Color/
In these tuts they desaturate, and re-color certain areas. Always make a copy of the layer you're about to do something destructive to, so you can backtrack easily. I've also found that adding a layer on top and reducing opacity so I can see the lower layer, then upping opacity after coloring, works well. If your starting image has well defined lines, then you should prob be working with path tools (path to color, fuzzy select, paths tool or scissors select tool) to define a region, create a new layer, and utilize your path in the new layer. I've found that these tools are a way to bring your imagination to life, all it takes is learning how to operate the magic machine! Good luck, and I hope that was of some use to you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:27 am  (#5) 
Global Moderator

Try this
(your image may be in greyscale mode)
Go to Image > mode > RGB

Welcome to Gimp Chat :gimp

Oh and let us know how you go. It might help someone else one day with an answer to their question.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:03 am  (#6) 

Thank you for the replies guys. I'll make a quick video in a bit and post it so you can see what im trying to do.

sallyanne wrote:
Try this
(your image may be in greyscale mode)
Go to Image > mode > RGB

Welcome to Gimp Chat :gimp

Oh and let us know how you go. It might help someone else one day with an answer to their question.

Hey there, I've checked this and it was on RGB. Thank you for the suggestion though!