It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Logo and Brochure Design
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:14 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

I apologize in advance if I have posted this on the wrong board. I recently received an email from a gentleman asking if I could design a logo and brochure for him. I said sure no problem and sent him an estimate. He just sent me this email and I am very confused by it and unsure if I should take on this project. Something doesnt feel right.
This is what his email said.

Also i will be needing a favor from you.

The little favor is that i will want you to add $3,500 to the estimate this will be the Project Consultant which will be sending you the content of the Project such as images and text, once the payment is made an complete he will be sending you the details of the brochure in full also i will like to know the best file for you in sending the images and text.

You will be charging the 3% Credit Card Charges and Tax.

Thank You.
Can anyone expalin this to me why he would want me to add so much to the estimate.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Logo and Brochure Design
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:47 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
jeanniem wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

I apologize in advance if I have posted this on the wrong board. I recently received an email from a gentleman asking if I could design a logo and brochure for him. I said sure no problem and sent him an estimate. He just sent me this email and I am very confused by it and unsure if I should take on this project. Something doesnt feel right.
This is what his email said.

Also i will be needing a favor from you.

The little favor is that i will want you to add $3,500 to the estimate this will be the Project Consultant which will be sending you the content of the Project such as images and text, once the payment is made an complete he will be sending you the details of the brochure in full also i will like to know the best file for you in sending the images and text.

You will be charging the 3% Credit Card Charges and Tax.

Thank You.
Can anyone expalin this to me why he would want me to add so much to the estimate.

Perhaps this question should be asked of your prospective client.
It does seem a bit odd.
Could be a typo,
or something of the sort.
Still,
it seem a bit over the top for me.

Generally,
when I take on a graphics project.
After much discussion of the kind and type of graphic needed.
I usually produce a few designs,
covered with watermarks.
For the client to review,
before any kind of payment is discussed.

Once a design is agreed upon,
is when talk about payment is arranged.

Depending on the client,
I often get a percentage of the agreed upon payment upfront.
Which acts as a kind of good faith payment,
showing that he or she has the intention of completing the deal.

I would be very wary about this kind of deal.
This is something which seem way out of bounds,
form anything I would agree to take on.

As a side note:
Not letting the client dictate the terms is very important.
Any terms must be agreed upon and understood by both parties.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:28 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I have made some phone calls and others too find it especially odd. The first red flag for me was when he asked me for a favor, you do not ask or do favors for new clients or at least I don't. I have emailed him back and told him that I am not at all comfortable adding 3500 dollars to the estimate. I am waiting for his response. I have however decided that this project is just too suspicious and will not be involved in it. Not worth risking my reputation and company image

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:58 pm  (#4) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
jeanniem wrote:
I have made some phone calls and others too find it especially odd. The first red flag for me was when he asked me for a favor, you do not ask or do favors for new clients or at least I don't. I have emailed him back and told him that I am not at all comfortable adding 3500 dollars to the estimate. I am waiting for his response. I have however decided that this project is just too suspicious and will not be involved in it. Not worth risking my reputation and company image

I feel you've made a good call on this one.
You must protect your assets.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:27 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

This is a fraud, probably money laundering. I had an acquaintance who was selling horses. She had a buyer for a horse who wanted to pay her an extra $4000 if she opened an account that he could access. Although we cautioned her against this, she went ahead with it. He never arrived to pick up the horse and a few weeks later the FBI appeared at
work to arrest her for her part in a scam. I caution all to stay away from deals like this.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:50 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

I myself contacted the FBI and they said almost the exact same thing. They gave me a web address in which can report it and fully intend to do so.