It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Changing User Acc in Windows whilst running GIMP.
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:14 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.22
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
G'MIC

I'm going through all my xcf files (over 800 currently) to either delete if not needed or put them in a separate folder to work on later, as most of my files are multiple layers for animations, a lot of these I'll turn into avi's, as an xcf of say 800 MB can be reduced to up to a tenth of that by turning it into a vid..(at a later date I'll convert them to mp4's to save space further..) - anyway what I'm doing now is putting a 560 layer file through a G'MIC filter called "Remove Scratches" and I've estimated it's going to take 8 hours to complete (it's already been running for an hour), so, does anyone know whether I can sign-out of my main account to go to another account, open GIMP in that one and carry on the task of either deleting or modifying/animating files - and if so will the GIMP that's working now carry on with what it's doing in the background or will it mess things up/slow things down etc ??

Martin

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Changing User Acc in Windows whilst running GIMP.
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:31 am  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Zero01 wrote:

G'MIC

I'm currently going through all my xcf files (over 800 currently) to either delete if not needed or put them in a separate folder to work on later, as most of my files are multiple layers for animations, a lot of these I'll turn into avi's, as an xcf of say 800 MB can be reduced to up to a tenth of that by turning it into a vid..(at a later date I'll convert them to mp4's to save space further..) - anyway what I'm doing now is putting a 560 layer file through a G'MIC filter called "Remove Scratches" and I've estimated it's going to take 8 hours to complete (it's already been running for an hour), so, does anyone know whether I can sign-out of my main account to go to another account, open GIMP in that one and carry on the task of either deleting or modifying/animating files - and if so will the GIMP that's working now carry on with what it's doing in the background or will it mess things up/slow things down etc ??

Martin

I believe that if you "sign-out" Gimp will close.
I've never done this,
but it seems like a logical guess to me.

Perhaps you'll have more success using a VM instead,
but again this is only speculation.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:36 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

"I believe that if you "sign-out" Gimp will close.
I've never done this,

but again this is only speculation."

OK thanks for that Wallace, I have never used a Virtual Machine before but now my be the time to consider it.. Well, I'll just have to wait for now and hope it''ll complete in less time than I estimated!!

Cheers

Martin

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:52 am  (#4) 
Administrator

Zero01 wrote:
"I believe that if you "sign-out" Gimp will close.
I've never done this,

but again this is only speculation."

OK thanks for that Wallace, I have never used a Virtual Machine before but now my be the time to consider it.. Well, I'll just have to wait for now and hope it''ll complete in less time than I estimated!!

Cheers

Martin

There's something called a "MultiSeat Configuration".
It's a configuration,
which a single computer can supports multiple independent local users at the same time.
Not sure how this works,
or even if it applies to what your needs are.

I also found this article,
which looks like something you might be able to try.

how to run multiple versions of the same program on your pc

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:01 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I'll look into it thanks !

:coolthup

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:06 pm  (#6) 
Administrator

Zero01 wrote:
I'll look into it thanks !

:coolthup

Have you check out the link I provided in my previous post?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:30 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Windows is a multitasking OS but little used by users. Windows 10 finally incorporates the concept of multiple desktops that linux users have had for years.

If the scratch removal is command line gmic, why not just minimise the terminal and open Gimp.

Otherwise, use two desktops, with say Gimp running in one employing gimp_gmic

and a new instance of Gimp running in the other desktop for some other editing.

To get a second instance of Gimp use the -n switch on command line

"C:\Program Files\Gimp 2\bin\gimp-2.8.exe" -n
I think that should work, quotes needed for the stupid spaces windows uses in file/folder names.

Then it all depends how much in the way of resources your computer has ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:54 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I looked at the article Wallace, thanks, it seems to address the problem somewhat, and the part about using a Sandbox is definitely of interest, however..
I've gone for rich2005's solution using the -n switch (which i wasn't aware of... like a lot of things!)
I'm "good-to-go" now - so thanks for the help everyone :)
:bigthup

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:22 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Only 819 files to go .. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:22 pm  (#10) 
Script Coder

Zero01 wrote:

G'MIC

I'm going through all my xcf files (over 800 currently) to either delete if not needed or put them in a separate folder to work on later, as most of my files are multiple layers for animations, a lot of these I'll turn into avi's, as an xcf of say 800 MB can be reduced to up to a tenth of that by turning it into a vid..(at a later date I'll convert them to mp4's to save space further..) - anyway what I'm doing now is putting a 560 layer file through a G'MIC filter called "Remove Scratches" and I've estimated it's going to take 8 hours to complete (it's already been running for an hour), so, does anyone know whether I can sign-out of my main account to go to another account, open GIMP in that one and carry on the task of either deleting or modifying/animating files - and if so will the GIMP that's working now carry on with what it's doing in the background or will it mess things up/slow things down etc ??

Martin

You can definitely "switch sessions" without logging out the first user. The Gimp you'll start in the second user will be a new instance with its own data.

But if Gimp runs full steam in the first session, the user experience in the second will likely be choppy.

You can also start Gimp with a "--new-instance" parameter in the first session to run a second Gimp process (which will likely work too, even it you have to be careful not stepping on any add-on your long-running process could be using). Same caveats about possible performance issues as with the first solution.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:24 pm  (#11) 
Script Coder

rich2005 wrote:
Windows is a multitasking OS but little used by users. Windows 10 finally incorporates the concept of multiple desktops that linux users have had for years.

If the scratch removal is command line gmic, why not just minimise the terminal and open Gimp.

Otherwise, use two desktops, with say Gimp running in one employing gimp_gmic

[ Image ]

and a new instance of Gimp running in the other desktop for some other editing.

To get a second instance of Gimp use the -n switch on command line

[ Image ]

"C:\Program Files\Gimp 2\bin\gimp-2.8.exe" -n
I think that should work, quotes needed for the stupid spaces windows uses in file/folder names.

Then it all depends how much in the way of resources your computer has ;)

If you use -n no need for a second desktop.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:32 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

True, I tried -n on the same desktop, however I ran into some "(Not Responding)" -type scenarios so decided to do it in a second desktop as was suggested, and it's seemingly running very well, no noticeable difference in opening a large file (can take up to 20 seconds sometimes.. not a huge problem lol) and as I've been converting a lot of xcf files to avi's I can tell you that even though the other instance of GIMP is running full-steam ahead on the other desktop, it doesn't seem to have affected anything detrimentally :)

By the way, was it you, ofnuts who wrote the script/plugin called "Trapeze transform"? If so can i just say I still haven't worked out what it's for or how to use it yet. (it sounds pretty cool though :D )

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:08 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

OH and it's now finished it's mammoth task (took about 5 hrs so i was way off...) - but, silly me, i could have made it a lot easier as i realised after it completed that the file was in fact 140 layers repeated 4 times... oh well at least I've learned a few things (as usual..) by coming on here with my questions :D
Cheers all
(still got 756 files to get through) !!

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:28 pm  (#14) 
Administrator

Zero01 wrote:
OH and it's now finished it's mammoth task (took about 5 hrs so i was way off...) - but, silly me, i could have made it a lot easier as i realised after it completed that the file was in fact 140 layers repeated 4 times... oh well at least I've learned a few things (as usual..) by coming on here with my questions :D
Cheers all
(still got 756 files to get through) !!

Nice to see that it came together for you.
Good luck with the rest of your file conversions.

:bigthup

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:33 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Appreciate it Wallace :tyspin

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:23 pm  (#16) 
Administrator

Zero01 wrote:
Appreciate it Wallace :tyspin

No problem Zero01!

We'er very fortunate,
to have such a fantastic membership base.
Especially those members who have responded to this thread.

Who are so willing to offer up possible suggestions/solutions,
to nearly any topic that hits the board.

I've learned so much form being a part of this community,
that it's become invaluable to me.
As a source for application/informational resources and problem solving.

This is why,
(at this time) it saddens me so,
to see that things aren't as optimal as they should/could,
or use to be.
:(

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:22 pm  (#17) 
Script Coder

Zero01 wrote:
True, I tried -n on the same desktop, however I ran into some "(Not Responding)" -type scenarios so decided to do it in a second desktop as was suggested, and it's seemingly running very well, no noticeable difference in opening a large file (can take up to 20 seconds sometimes.. not a huge problem lol) and as I've been converting a lot of xcf files to avi's I can tell you that even though the other instance of GIMP is running full-steam ahead on the other desktop, it doesn't seem to have affected anything detrimentally :)

By the way, was it you, ofnuts who wrote the script/plugin called "Trapeze transform"? If so can i just say I still haven't worked out what it's for or how to use it yet. (it sounds pretty cool though :D )

It's actually a proof that you don't want it. It was done for someone who wanted something like the perspective transform but that wouldn't stretch things in one of the dimensions. Using this script, you discover that straight lines do not remain straight (while they remain so in the true perspective transform).

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:45 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

I know what you mean Wallace, yeah I hope the image uploading issue gets resolved sometime soon..! That's a big problem I can see :/
Anyway it's great to get so much good advice and great ideas on here as always! :)

Ofnuts, I can tell it was obviously a niche plug-in thing for something I'd probably have no need for so I deleted that and a few other scripts etc that I didn't need or use much if at all, trying to streamline the menu bar lists as much as possible too, as it's getting a bit cluttered... Cheers

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:29 am  (#19) 
Global Moderator

Gimp Chat doesn't close when you sign out. You don't have to be signed in to read all the posts. You just have to be signed in to make posts.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:52 am  (#20) 
Script Coder

Clarence24 wrote:
i am also "I believe that if you "sign-out" Gimp will close.

If you sign out yes, but you don't need to sign out to open a second session. Processes for each session will coexist on the machine, even if you can't access the windows of the old using the new session.