It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mouse acting weird
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:25 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.22
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 10
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

So I've been using Gimp (2.8.14) for a little while so not quite a newb but just today when I opened it up and tried to work on some projects my mouse is acting weird. It worked perfectly fine when I used it yesterday. When I click on the menus (File, Edit, etc) the menu flickers open then closed immediately. I have to click it 4-6 times to get it to stay open so I can select something.

When I used the rectangle selection tool or crop tool as I drag the mouse it will stop and select half way thru or jump and start another selection as I drag, so the selection I started when I click/drag disappears or if I have it set to "add" to the selection I get two different selection rectangles. For the crop tool it stops before I finish dragging it to the size I need and if I try to click the corners to change the crop lines it applies the crop.

If I have two images open at the same time and I go to the taskbar and hover over the Gimp icon (I see both images) and I try to select the second image it doesn't come up, it stays behind the first image so I have to minimize the window for the first, then select the second image.

It's like the mouse is clicking/unclicking even when I have the mouse button pressed down.

I upgraded to 2.8.22 today to see if that fixed it, but still the same problems.

Any ideas why it is doing this? I tried resetting the tools (Shift + clicking the reset arrow) but that didn't help.

Or maybe it's just my mouse or windows because my mouse seemed to act just a little weird on this forum. I tried to click between words so I could add something and it selected the whole word next to where I clicked.

:( :( It just did it again. I clicked once on the frowny face to the left of this message box I am typing in and it added two frowny faces. Weird.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Mouse acting weird
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:58 pm  (#2) 
Script Coder

My mouse sometimes acts weird until I give it fresh batteries. Or until I replace it because the left button has a worn out contact.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:59 pm  (#3) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
ofnuts wrote:
My mouse sometimes acts weird until I give it fresh batteries. Or until I replace it because the left button has a worn out contact.

I'm of the same thinking as ofnuts.

Way to many problems,
for it to all be a GIMP issue.
More than likely; it's the mouse and not GIMP.

If it's wireless (as ofnuts suggested),
time for a battery change.

Any chance you can check if the mouse works with a different computer,
or plugged into a different port on the same computer.

Perhaps you have another mouse you can check it against,
to see if it is indeed that particular mouse.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:04 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

Sounds like you need a new mouse - mine does the same things.
Luckily I can use my mouse pad on my laptop when I need to do finer functions.

ps. is your mouse wireless or a plugin one? Either way, if you are using the buttons on your mouse to make selections for you could be there is something wrong with them. I have never tried to clean under them even if you can.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:30 am  (#5) 
Global Moderator

I have had the same problem several times with those wireless mice, I switched over to a wire mouse and no problems since that.
I don't think they are meant to last too long, they can sell more batteries that way.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:50 am  (#6) 
Administrator

molly wrote:
I have had the same problem several times with those wireless mice, I switched over to a wire mouse and no problems since that.
I don't think they are meant to last too long, they can sell more batteries that way.

I would have to agree with Molly.

I purchased a comparatively expensive Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse.
Worked great for a while,
but I soon had issues related to Signal Interference.
Also know as Radio-Frequency Interference/(RFI).
As well as Wireless Latency/Input Lag.
Changing the batteries didn't help.
This effected most graphically intense programs,
but generally the issue was system-wide.
It was especially noticeable when running games and Photoshop.
I now only use mid-range,
or high-end wired peripherals.
I feel that inexpensive mice/keyboards,
seem to be less durable and often fail quickly,
for one reason or another.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:03 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

silly side remark: i keep reading this topic as "house acting weird" - probably also has something to do with erisian watching haunted house debunking videos a lot lately.

batteries on wireless mouse yes. i agree it doesn't sound like an issue with gimp specifically, especially since an update didn't fix anything.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:09 pm  (#8) 
Script Coder

molly wrote:

My Logitech M705 requires a couple of AA batteries per year. And I am a very heavy computer user.

Of course there are good wireless mice and so-so ones.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:28 pm  (#9) 

I have a USB mouse so no batteries. I tried to reply a little while ago and I couldn't even click in the reply box to type. Yet I could click on this thread or any other thread to open it, click the drop down menu for Font type in this reply box, but couldn't click in the box so my cursor was here so I could type.

I could not get any menu to open in GIMP earlier either.

So I did a system restore to before the windows 10 critical update on 5/26/17 and everything works great. But now I don't have the critical update.

Had issue with an old version of Photoshop Elements (version 9) where after the windows creative update (or whatever it was called a short while back) all of the menus in PSE9 were blank.

Good thing I have a new computer on the way since I've been having issues with this old hunk of junk lately, besides the afore mentioned issues.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:21 pm  (#10) 
Administrator

mes2370 wrote:
I have a USB mouse so no batteries. I tried to reply a little while ago and I couldn't even click in the reply box to type. Yet I could click on this thread or any other thread to open it, click the drop down menu for Font type in this reply box, but couldn't click in the box so my cursor was here so I could type.

So I did a system restore to before the windows 10 critical update on 5/26/17 and everything works great. But now I don't have the critical update.

Had issue with an old version of Photoshop Elements (version 9) where after the windows creative update (or whatever it was called a short while back) all of the menus in PSE9 were blank.

Good thing I have a new computer on the way since I've been having issues with this old hunk of junk lately, besides the afore mentioned issues.

Good to know that you're getting a new computer.

However,
have you preformed the windows System File Checker, i.e. (sfc),
or what's commonly known as a SFC Scan?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:34 am  (#11) 

Wallace wrote:
mes2370 wrote:

Good to know that you're getting a new computer.

However,
have you preformed the windows System File Checker, i.e. (sfc),
or what's commonly known as a SFC Scan?

Not familiar with SFC scan. is that part of windows? or third party program that performs this?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:51 am  (#12) 
Administrator

mes2370 wrote:
Not familiar with SFC scan. is that part of windows? or third party program that performs this?

It's a built-in Windows utilities,
It allows you to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

You run it,
by opening Command Prompt As Administrator and type the following:

sfc /scannow

SFC (System File Checker) works by scanning for and replacing system files that are corrupt,
missing, or changed.
Even if the SFC command doesn’t repair any files,
running it will at least confirm that no system files are corrupted.
Then if you wish you can continue troubleshooting your system using other methods.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:04 pm  (#13) 

Wallace wrote:
mes2370 wrote:

It's a built-in Windows utilities,
It allows you to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

You run it,
by opening Command Prompt As Administrator and type the following:

sfc /scannow

SFC (System File Checker) works by scanning for and replacing system files that are corrupt,
missing, or changed.
Even if the SFC command doesn’t repair any files,
running it will at least confirm that no system files are corrupted.
Then if you wish you can continue troubleshooting your system using other methods.

Thanks. I will give that a try.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:23 pm  (#14) 
Administrator

mes2370 wrote:

Thanks. I will give that a try.

No problem.
:bigthup

However,
if you made changes to any files that windows uses,
it will change them back to whatever they were before.

For example,
there are quite a few Cortana Hacks out there.
Which require renaming files related to Cortana.
Doing this basically disables Cortana,
keeping it from running in the background.

If you did anything like that,
you can expect whatever it was,
to come back after you run an SCF Scan.