It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Budget Laptop for Gimp
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:12 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

I plan on spending about $350 (I can spend a little more if necessary) for a new laptop which will be used for GIMP photoediting and wix website building. I don't know the first thing about specs, so I need some more specific laptop model suggestions that will allow me to do about 15 hours of photoediting a week (I work on a contract basis) without slowing. Does anyone have suggestions? Will I need a separate drive of some sort? My sister has a Chrome book she loves, but she only ever uses it for school work/browsing/Netflix, so I don't know if that would be the right fit. Thank you!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Best Budget Laptop for Gimp
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:18 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I don't know much about a Chrome book, but I'm pretty sure it runs Android software. You'll want a Windows, Linux or Mac for Gimp. I don't know if the Chrome book can run a virtual Windows. Someone did port Gimp to Android, but in my tests it didn't really work.

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:43 pm  (#3) 

Thank you, that is good to know!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:11 pm  (#4) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Get as much RAM/Memory as you can afford.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:01 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

ms171106 wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

I plan on spending about $350 (I can spend a little more if necessary) for a new laptop which will be used for GIMP photoediting and wix website building. I don't know the first thing about specs, so I need some more specific laptop model suggestions that will allow me to do about 15 hours of photoediting a week (I work on a contract basis) without slowing. Does anyone have suggestions? Will I need a separate drive of some sort? My sister has a Chrome book she loves, but she only ever uses it for school work/browsing/Netflix, so I don't know if that would be the right fit. Thank you!

Ram will be the single most important spec. The more the better. Do you really need the portability of a laptop? if not a desktop would be a better option. Desktops can be repaired, expanded easily. what type of graphic editing will you be doing in gimp? will this be mainly for web page elements? will this be full blown artwork?... you may want a physically larger monitor, and or one with more resolution to handle image details. Also nice on a desktop is multiple graphics cards and monitors. this was you can have all the menu/palettes open on one monitor and the image you are editing opened full screen on the other monitor. (I recently upgraded my tv from a 40 inch to 55inch, and replaced my failing 20 inch monitor with my 40 inch tv. A huge difference in ease of use on my computer. My "older eyes" dont have to strain so hard to see the screen. :)
Chromebooks use Chrome OS, a variant of Android. Rumor is that Google will replace Chrome OS with something more proprietary.
Mac options are outta the question as you are only wanting to spend around $350.
Slowing is mainly a problem with window machines. Linux wont have the overhead of windows os as the antivirus will use system resources, and the way windows is set up will eventually cause disk fragmentation which starts slowing down your system. Solid State Drives makes this type of slowdown from disk fragmentation less noticeable.

Full blown linux systems might be out of your price range, you will need to determine if the prices are worth the freedom you get with them.

I hope this helps somewhat..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:54 am  (#6) 

Thank you everyone you have been very helpful! I could do a desktop - if I did is there one you suggest? It sounds like Linux is the way to go. I will Be mostly using it to watermark photos, so it really is not very detailed work. I do the Etsy postings for a local company, so most of what I do involves downloading the images, opening in gimp, and placing one of three watermarks. The reason I am buying a laptop is to avoid having to go to my friend’s house every time I need to do so, so any option, desktop or laptop would be fine as long as it gets the job done without killing the computer too quickly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:15 pm  (#7) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
ms171106 wrote:
Thank you everyone you have been very helpful! I could do a desktop - if I did is there one you suggest? It sounds like Linux is the way to go. I will Be mostly using it to watermark photos, so it really is not very detailed work. I do the Etsy postings for a local company, so most of what I do involves downloading the images, opening in gimp, and placing one of three watermarks. The reason I am buying a laptop is to avoid having to go to my friend’s house every time I need to do so, so any option, desktop or laptop would be fine as long as it gets the job done without killing the computer too quickly.

Below is a basic parts list made at the website pcpartpicker.com.
Parts List A has no peripherals,
such as monitor, keyboard and mouse.
Parts List B has these peripherals.

Of course if you can't build a computer yourself,
this won't be an option.

This is just to give you an idea.
Of what parts might go into a basic desktop computer system and the price for such parts.

You will be hard pressed to find a laptop,
or prebuilt desktop.
Which has similar parts at your price point.

I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending any prebuilt desktop system,
or laptop.
If building a system yourself,
is completely out of the question.
It would be best to purchase a laptop.

I would also not recommend a Linux operating system.
Unless you are a tech-savvy person.
If you have never used Linux before and have always used windows,
Linux is not for you.

What I think you're looking for is a basic productivity type laptop.

Components to Look For
Central Processing Unit (CPU): Intel i3, or i5
Memory: 8GB or more
Storage: 250-500GB Solid-State Drive (SSD), or 1TB, 7200RPM
Mechanical Hard Disk Drive (HDD)
Operating System: Windows 10 home 64 bit Operating System.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:43 pm  (#8) 
Former Member

AdmFubar wrote:
Mac options are outta the question as you are only wanting to spend around $350.

If you want a new mac then yes but there's plenty of older refurbished Macs that are out that are great for using GIMP.

Here's a good one listed on eBay (Seller Refurbished, meets price and returns accepted): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBook- ... Swl8NVeF~D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:03 pm  (#9) 

Thank you all so much for your advice! This gives me a great place to start my search. I hope you all have very happy holidays!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:58 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Have you considered a second-hand gaming machine?
Gamers have many of the same requirements as for image processing - fast processor, large amount of RAM and good graphics cards. Many of them insist on having the very latest technology so there should be second hand machines available at reasonable prices.

And here I'm going to disagree with Wallace (sorry and after all your help in the last couple of days!!!). Linux nowadays from a users point of view is simple and straightforward. On both my desktop and my antique laptop I have Ubuntu. It is fast, stable and much less complicated and convoluted than Windows. In addition it does not "fall over" at regular intervals.
What is more, it is free and comes with five years support and regular updates.

david.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:42 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

david wrote:
Have you considered a second-hand gaming machine?
Gamers have many of the same requirements as for image processing - fast processor, large amount of RAM and good graphics cards. Many of them insist on having the very latest technology so there should be second hand machines available at reasonable prices.

And here I'm going to disagree with Wallace (sorry and after all your help in the last couple of days!!!). Linux nowadays from a users point of view is simple and straightforward. On both my desktop and my antique laptop I have Ubuntu. It is fast, stable and much less complicated and convoluted than Windows. In addition it does not "fall over" at regular intervals.
What is more, it is free and comes with five years support and regular updates.

david.

Good suggestion about gaming machine, even if I doubt you can find a second-hand gaming PC at a really reasonable low price.
But what you say about Windows seems to come from an unexperienced user about that OS:
do you have real personal experience on Windows 10?
- it's not at all "complicated and convoluted" and "it does not 'fall over' at regular intervals".
- you get twice a year regular updates (free...)
I have Windows 10 since it was released and I had no troubles, and other people here around has the same experience.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:51 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

dinasset,

The main point I was making is that the idea that Linux is for "geeks" is well outdated.

My first association with Windows was version 3.3, many years after I started working in electronics and computers - that gives my age away!

I fairly regularly get asked by friends and acquaintances to fix their computer problems - to be fair, not many of them Windows 10. That is when I get to compare how simple is a modern Linux in comparison.

david.