It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GMIC Help Again
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:54 pm  (#1) 
Global Moderator

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 10 Home 64bit
GIMP Experience: New User

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
GMIC

List any ERROR messages you received:
NA

I know this is GIMP help and I don't really need help with gimp yet - well I sort of do. The gimp I downloaded has an older GMIC in it. When I go to use it says it is a 1.6.1.0. I want to update to a newer one.
The GMIC file in the gimp installation folders is newer but not the newest.

Question:- Do I have to remove this other file in the gimp installation files before installing a new one? I can't find where the other is., If I have to remove it where might I find it? There is one in the 'bin' but it doesn't have a version number - only a date (3/2015)
I have changed GMIC's before but at the moment I am navigating a new computer and really would like some help.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: GMIC Help Again
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:31 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

sallyanne,

I use Linux, so have no personal experience of installing GMIC in Windows, but I have just looked at http://gmic.eu/gimp.shtml where there is a link to installation information and a video. Hope this is of help. I am sure others, more expert than me, will be along to help shortly.

david.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:20 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Thank you David for looking that up:) It is because the GMIC is already in with the gimp I am having trouble. I preferred to ask people who I have more interaction with (here). I did have a look at that site first but I ended up being sent elsewhere. Although he does have this place as a help place too.

If I get brave enough and install a linux operating system on this pc you may be able to help me then :)
I need to get this one going properly till then though - moving most of the files over from my laptop etc.

I realise if I dowloaded a 2.9.# I may have got a newer GMIC but I prefer to wait until maybe the 2.10 unless someone can give me good reason to get one of them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:36 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

You may install a Gimp 2.9.9 portable.
This does not overlap with the existing one and you may check your applications.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:47 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

About your existing installation:
- g'mic does not start unless you have a link to it in Edit/Preference
- hence, look at your Edit/Preferences and find the specific folder which is linked to
- if you do not find a specific one, this means you have G'mic embedded in your plug-ins folder
- if this is the case, list your plug-ins folder as a base for uninstalling the current G'mic
- someone can double check for finding the full list of members related to G'mic
- if instead you have a link to a specific folder, things are easier: just remove that link

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:59 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Congrats on new computer.

Quote:
The gimp I downloaded has an older GMIC in it. When I go to use it says it is a 1.6.1.0. I want to update to a newer one.

Does this mean you are using an older vesion of Partha Gimp that comes with gmic 1.6.something already installed?

In general gmic_gimp 2.2 will coexist with the old gmic 1.6 - You get two entries for gmic bottom of the Filters menu.

However, always a however, a quick test and gmic_gimp_qt throws up errors and fails but the gmic_gimp_gtk version works. Installation same as David pointed out.

screenshot https://i.imgur.com/ODo0JIz.jpg

A better way, new computer, fresh start, regular gimp 2.8.22 from http://www.gimp.org New gimp profile to clean out all the stuff never used. That will also co-exist with the Partha Gimp but both will share the same gimp profile.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:46 pm  (#7) 
Global Moderator

@dinasset You may install a Gimp 2.9.9 portable.
This does not overlap with the existing one and you may check your applications. I intend to download a portable onto a portable hard drive after I have finished using it to move data from one computer to another.

About your existing installation:
- g'mic does not start unless you have a link to it in Edit/Preference
- hence, look at your Edit/Preferences and find the specific folder which is linked to
- if you do not find a specific one, this means you have G'mic embedded in your plug-ins folder
- if this is the case, list your plug-ins folder as a base for uninstalling the current G'mic
- someone can double check for finding the full list of members related to G'mic
- if instead you have a link to a specific folder, things are easier: just remove that link. Ok will look through and see thanks EDIT: Have done and there was none.

@rich Congrats on new computer. Thank you :) Bout time I got a new and improved computer too. The other one was almost 6 years old.
Does this mean you are using an older vesion of Partha Gimp that comes with gmic 1.6.something already installed? Yes

In general gmic_gimp 2.2 will coexist with the old gmic 1.6 - You get two entries for gmic bottom of the Filters menu.

However, always a however, a quick test and gmic_gimp_qt throws up errors and fails but the gmic_gimp_gtk version works. Installation same as David pointed out.

screenshot https://i.imgur.com/ODo0JIz.jpg

A better way, new computer, fresh start, regular gimp 2.8.22 from http://www.gimp.org New gimp profile to clean out all the stuff never used. That will also co-exist with the Partha Gimp but both will share the same gimp profile. Thanks I was looking at a fresh start I did have that gimp version previously. Does it have the most recent GMIC with it? EDIT: Uninstalled the 2.8.14 and installed a 2.8.22 then downloaded the newest GMIC. Also fixed the path in the preferences for it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:48 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Just a suggestion:
- if you use the .zip version of G'MIC and you place the unzipped folder (gmic-gimp-qt-2.2.0-win64) into your .gimp_2.8 folder (w/o interfering with the plug-ins folder) and set the link to it, you may keep subsequent versions without removing anything, simply replacing the link in the Preferences

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:16 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Now you know why I don't use installers if I don't have to. As others have said, you have to add the destination folder to all plugins used in GIMP. If you can, I would uninstall G'MIC and manually clean up what you can, then I would download the GIMP/G'MIC zip file for the plugin and extract it to a unique folder of your choice (I call mine gmic2_qt but that was the choice I made) and then point to the plugin folder (as again said earlier). I do this every time I install a new version of G'MIC (well, I move that folder to my desktop and then create a new folder with exact same name with GIMP's user folder and then extract; do this just in case the new version of G'MIC plugin has too many bugs which it had in the past but have to admit the past over year each release (including betas) have been pretty rock solid). Sounds a bit tedious but the process is not hard and you now have complete control. It also allows me to keep the old G'MIC installed which, to be honest, I no longer use but I do know there have been some Script-fus that have not been updated that still uses the old version. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:03 am  (#10) 
Global Moderator

Thanks guys :) but all set up now :) Now all I have to do is get the scripts and plugins I had again.
It is nice to beable to start up gimp without 11 error messages now :)