It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anti aliasing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:09 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Greetings! I believe I have inadvertently activated an anti aliasing feature on GIMP 2.8.At any rate, I'm suddenly getting several pixels per one mouse click or drag, in different shades and patterns.Is there a way to stop this from happening? I don't have a lot of experience with GIMP, so I don't want to go trying things without advice.Thanks!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Anti aliasing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:48 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

ac_Gi1b3rt wrote:
I'm suddenly getting several pixels per one mouse click or drag, in different shades and patterns.

That is how Gimp (and all bitmap editors) work. It will depend on the brush, brush size and foreground colour that you have selected.

Try using the Pencil tool with a small brush size. The Pencil is similar to the Paintbrush. The difference is that the Pencil does not have anti-aliasing, whereas the Paintbrush does.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:05 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for your reply. I should have mention that, though inexperienced, I've been using Gimp quite a lot over a moderate amount of time, and this is something that just changed. I've been using airbrush, brush, and pencil, and ask have

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:07 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Oops, hit submit by accident. Anyway I've always been able to create a single pixel before this, without anti aliasing appearing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:52 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

The Paintbrush has a soft edge (ie it has anti-aliasing pixels). The amount of softness depends on the hardness of the brush selected. The Pencil has a hard edge (ie no anti-aliasing pixels). The airbrush has a very soft edge.

To hit a single pixel, use the Pencil, pixel brush, and brush size 1.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:13 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you again. I understand what you're saying about the pencil, but I'm frustrated by this other change. In the past, with airbrush, I could make a single mouse click, no matter what size or hardness setting, and only one pixel would appear.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:15 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

If I held down the mouse, the pixel would get darker, but no other pixels would appear. This leads me to believe that there is a way to remove the function for a given project.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:02 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Maybe you had an active selection. Then the paint tools would only affect the pixels within the selection.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:03 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Hmm, not sure what you mean by that. Basically, after opening GIMP, I've dragged a pdf or png file into the work window that becomes available. Then I'm able to use airbrush in the manner I've described. I appreciate your help and time, welcome more suggestions, but done feel obliged. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:07 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

If there's any easy way for me to learn about the active selection you mentioned, and how to duplicate it, I'm all ears. I'd love to get this figured out. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:12 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

I could also add that I was poking around the anti aliasing function, because I was considering using it on a particular section of my graphic. So it would seem I triggered something larger.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:23 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

I noticed there was a "reset" option for filters, so maybe that's the key? I don't want to mess up anything else, though, ha-ha.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:17 pm  (#13) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Can you post a screenshot of your display,
showing your GIMP and the image or images as you see them?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:36 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Yes, but not at the moment. I actually have Gimp on another computer which had not been affected by this isdue, so will try to put up some examples of that as well. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:25 pm  (#15) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
ac_Gi1b3rt wrote:
Yes, but not at the moment.
I actually have Gimp on another computer which had not been affected by this isdue,
so will try to put up some examples of that as well.
Thanks.

No Problem ac_Gi1b3rt and welcome to Gimp Chat. :bigthup

It's hard to say exactly what might be happening.
We may all get a better idea about how to help,
with an image or two
Perhaps there's something not quite right with some of the setting,
which may be noticeable in a screenshot of your GIMP.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:30 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

First, thanks for the welcome! Second, so, you all are going to think I'm crazy, but I managed to load a file with the anti aliasing in effect, onto my computer with the version of GIMP that *wasn't* having the issue, and bingo, it triggered the anti aliasing on that computer as well. So I have no examples of the "before" to share. I'm trying to post the set-up and "after" results, but perhaps it's a moot point now. Anyway, here's hoping they display when I click submit. This all sounds kind of lame now, so sorry about that, lol.

Attachment:
GIMP set up.png
GIMP set up.png [ 489 KiB | Viewed 1517 times ]

Attachment:
Gimp after.png
Gimp after.png [ 8.27 KiB | Viewed 1517 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:34 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Hey, it worked! Anyway, none of the anti aliasing you see on the "after" image appeared before I had this issue, when making the same shapes. Okay, time to step away from the computer for a while, heh.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:41 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

ac_Gi1b3rt wrote:
If there's any easy way for me to learn about the active selection you mentioned, and how to duplicate it, I'm all ears. I'd love to get this figured out. Thanks again.

Gimp works on the active layer; and within the active selection. (If there is no active selection Gimp will work on the entire layer.)

The image shows the Selection Tools and the Select Menu. Have a look at (Select > None). If it is greyed out there is no active selection. If (Select > None) is available then you do have a selection.

Here is a link to the docs for the selection tools:
https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tools-selection.html

Attachments:
SelectionTools.png
SelectionTools.png [ 18.04 KiB | Viewed 1512 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:57 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks once more! I'll take a look.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:10 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Attachment:
Pixel cursor size.png
Pixel cursor size.png [ 3.6 KiB | Viewed 1500 times ]

Attachment:
Tool selection.png
Tool selection.png [ 265.36 KiB | Viewed 1500 times ]

Here is what my tool selection looks like. Also, I should have mentioned that another change I mention was that my cursor size is suddenly much smaller when I open GIMP. The attachment above size above is "1", but at my Gimp screen is has been enlarged by 3 clicks, and the pixel size is usually much bigger (ignore the cord; it appeared when I used my screenshot function). Does this offer any clues? Thanks.