It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: resolution and quality issues
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:27 am  (#1) 

I'm creating digital art in gimp which is printed in big sizes also(18"x24" 300 ppi).When I create the art I give the max dimensions to the image(18"x24" 300 ppi)
Now there are additional graphics and elements I want to add to the image-the graphics I want to add are 300 dpi but smaller in image size-so I need to scale them-so they fit my big document-I'm afraid that during the scaling of the outer graphics their quality will be lost-I'm trying to understand what happens to resolution if scaling-My main concern is the quality of the digital art-the final product-I need it to be 300 ppi at big size(18" 24")so just want to understand the wise way to use external graphics -and how to scale them without harm to the resolution and quality-I'm trying to understand what happens to the quality when I scale this external graphics-do they lose their quality? Does their resolution change ? Does resolution in general changes during scaling?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: resolution and quality issues
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:30 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
alin33 wrote:
I'm creating digital art in gimp which is printed in big sizes also(18"x24" 300 ppi).When I create the art I give the max dimensions to the image(18"x24" 300 ppi)
Now there are additional graphics and elements I want to add to the image-the graphics I want to add are 300 dpi but smaller in image size-so I need to scale them-so they fit my big document-I'm afraid that during the scaling of the outer graphics their quality will be lost-I'm trying to understand what happens to resolution if scaling-My main concern is the quality of the digital art-the final product-I need it to be 300 ppi at big size(18" 24")so just want to understand the wise way to use external graphics -and how to scale them without harm to the resolution and quality-I'm trying to understand what happens to the quality when I scale this external graphics-do they lose their quality? Does their resolution change ? Does resolution in general changes during scaling?

When scaling an image you lose image quality,
especially when scaling an image up.
It's best to scale images down, to retain the best image quality/pixel quality.
The resolution and ppi will remain the same either way.
It's the pixels that are being rearranged,
which is causing the loss of pixel quality.
To help avoid this.
One can use vector graphics,
or try to add raster graphics,
that are as close to the original size needed for that graphic.