It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do I work with Darktable or Gimp?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:09 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.10.8
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 10
GIMP Experience: New User

Sorry for this silly noob beginners question.

Do I edit my RAW images in Darktable - or do I just use Darktable to open RAW images and then go on with editing in GIMP?

Seems darktable is a fully featured editor by itself. So I wonder what is the suggested procedure.

I only work on camera pictures, mainly in RAW.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Do I work with Darktable or Gimp?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:40 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I always process my RAW images via RawTherapee or Darktable before the final edits in Gimp. That said, these are regularly just minor tweaks as you can get a lot of editing done with these amazing pieces of software.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:03 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks! All clear.

But one last question, when you do minor tweaks in GIMP, what file format you use? Not JPG I guess, or?

One more thing, GIMP tutorials aren't really useful when I use Darktable, right? So in the end I need to know both I guess (still plenty of JPG around where I would use GIMP)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:44 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Best to use xcf while editing in Gimp. Export finished to whatever is required.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:09 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

overexposed wrote:
Thanks! All clear.

But one last question, when you do minor tweaks in GIMP, what file format you use? Not JPG I guess, or?

One more thing, GIMP tutorials aren't really useful when I use Darktable, right? So in the end I need to know both I guess (still plenty of JPG around where I would use GIMP)

If I do minor tweaks, I do use a jpg, without any problem. Otherwise I use TIFF. Gimp tutorials are indeed not very helpful in the use of Darktable. That has got a different set of tools. You need to up your skill set in both I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:30 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Perhaps you are unaware?

If you have both DarkTable and Gimp installed, you can have Gimp import RAW images via DarkTable. After editing the raw file in DarkTable, it goes directly to Gimp (in 32-bit RGB) when you close DarkTable.

Attachment:
DT.png
DT.png [ 79.6 KiB | Viewed 5645 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:38 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

I am aware that Gimp and Darktable somehow work together. I am just not aware about the recommended workflow. If I can do a lossless import from Darktable to Gimp that might be a good way then.

Seems there is really very little information out for Darktable (ok, one Github PDF book from 2012, terribly old but really well done, still a very good read). It's better with Gimp, but mostly for old version, and to me it feels like 2.10 is quite a game changer. I d/l Teach Yourself Gimp in 24 hours - and did a straight delete when I saw it's from 1999

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:33 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I never read manuals. I learn everything by experimenting. Occasionally I may watch a tutorial, but only if it's short and rarely watch it to the end. Plenty of DarkTable and Gimp video tuts on youtube. I believe there are also written tutorials for Gimp on this site, if you want to check some of them out.

Here are some good ones for DarkTable: https://www.youtube.com/user/rhutton86/videos