It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Color Question
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:01 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

Is there a way to single out a certain portion of an image so that I can make color edits to that section only? For example, I have an image of a leopard standing on a bunch of rocks. I want to make the coloring of the leopard more vivid - and leave the rocks as a low-color background. But everything I do to my leopard only makes the rocks more colorful and noticeable? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Color Question
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:32 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
atlanta43 wrote:

Is there a way to single out a certain portion of an image so that I can make color edits to that section only? For example, I have an image of a leopard standing on a bunch of rocks. I want to make the coloring of the leopard more vivid - and leave the rocks as a low-color background. But everything I do to my leopard only makes the rocks more colorful and noticeable? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

You could use a Layer Mask,
to isolate the leopard..
That is, if you know how to use a layer mask.
Are you familiar with layer Masking?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:19 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

You could also use 'Select by color'. The term is self explanatory.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:50 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

atlanta43 wrote:

Thanks!

This is the basic purpose of "selections". What is selected is acted upon, what is not selected is left alone. Selection can be partial (and in photo editing you often want a "soft" selection around edges) for a "partial" effect.

50% of photo editing skill is making selections (which is why the first 8 items in the Gimp Toolbox are selection tools).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:47 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I used a selection tool that enabled me to make a glowing leopard with dull rocks - exactly what I wanted. This site is really wonderful at providing help and I appreciate you.

:tyspin