It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is it possible to upload brushes into tool presets?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:02 pm  (#1) 

Hello everybody. Extremely new to GIMP software, had it for maybe two or so weeks now. Pretty inexperienced with art software altogether.

I am attempting to follow along with the tutorials on the Ctrlpaint website, but since the man is using Photoshop it has proven to be more difficult than I had hoped.
Right now, I am stuck on trying to figure out whether it is possible to upload certain files I have on my computer as tool presets, as the Brush+Eraser video instructs. To him, it is very easy, just a few clicks. To me, not so much.

Anyone who can help me would be much appreciated. I know I can't post links yet, but the video I'm discussing is near the beginning of the curriculum and can easily be accessed after clicking 'Getting Started' if you do want to check it out. I kinda hope some of you do so you can see what I'm trying to do and point out what can be done with GIMP, what can't, what GIMP offers that is kinda like X but is accessed/used in a totally different fashion, what methods are actually better to use, etc.

I'm sure nobody here is as technologically retarded as me so I'm confident you guys will be able to help in some way. I have a LOT to learn. Just bear with me.

Thank you.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Is it possible to upload brushes into tool presets?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:58 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Hello Juicy Jesus. Welcome to Gimp Chat. :)
Your best bet to find out how to do things with Gimp and see them done with the same program would be to look up Gimp how toos in You Tube. Don't watch a Photoshop program, especially if you are inexperienced with Gimp. Once you get the hang of this program you will be able to work out what they are doing and how to apply it to Gimp but not now. There are even some tutorials here at Gimp Chat. I'll get the link for you after and post it here.
I found that following tutorials teaches you more about Gimp than you ever imagined.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5148&hilit=tutorial+list&start=20
As for your question in your post topic, I think the only place you can post brushes into presets would be gimpressionist but I could be wrong. Someone else will be on soon and they will let you know.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:31 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Yes you can.
- upload custom brushes (drop them in the Gimp user brushes folder)
- modify them, or the brushes already included in Gimp and
- save your brush as a tool preset

Create new image.

1. Select brush tool, and the brush you want to create preset for.
2. Edit its properties and dynamics.
3. When happy, go to windows menu, dockable dialogs, tool presets.
4. Click "Create new tool preset"
5. Name your brush, activate the options you want to store with your preset. Then save it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:57 pm  (#4) 

Excellent.

Yeah, that's a very good idea Sallyanne. Had to look up a few before the writing of the first message but couldn't really find, like, an ordered structure. Was on Ctrlpaint for that but... Not going to well. Predictably. lol
Definitely gonna check those out now.
Oh, and thanks for the answer about the brushes, Nidhogg. After I take a little look at that dang ol' Tutorials Index I'm gonna come back to that if need be.

Sorry about the delayed response. Got back home shortly after asking the question and saw nobody did anything to prepare for Christmas so been busy with all that noise the past few days.

I appreciate you guys' help. :tyspin