It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spinning World Tutorial
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:16 pm  (#1) 
Retired Staff

Spinning World Tutorial

Thank you to all who offered tips and critique to my spinning world posted here.

Get these two scripts and put them into your gimp-2.6 / scripts folder.
Multilayer Plastic Wrap
Parchment Texture

1. Make a starry background or find a starry background picture. NASA has a lot of them here. Scale it. I scaled mine with a width of 700px. Save it but don't leave it open in gimp. It will get in your way right now. After you have it and the globe positioned in layers you can crop it to suit yourself.

2. Change the background color in gimp to the color you want to be the dominant one in the background.

3. Open a new, transparent image that is square. I used 500x500. Name that layer parchment.

4. Go to the Parchment script in Decor> Parchment Texture. Change the Aging color to something that blends with the background color you chose. Be sure to check flatten. Squiggly lines - optional there - whatever you like. When you come up with something you like, go to Filters > Map > Make Seamless.

5. Filters > Light & Shadow > Plastic Wrap Multi-layer and make the Plastic Amount setting 10. It adds interesting scattered sprinkles to the image.

6. Make a new transparent layer and name it clouds. Move the clouds layer below the parchment layer. Go to Render > Clouds > Solid Noise. Click tilable and make X & Y sizes around 7. A little one way or the other is fine. I make Detail as high as it will go - 15. Click new seed a few times just for the heck of it, then click OK.

7. Click the parchment layer and scroll through the layer modes. I like to use Addition or Hard Light or Grain Merge. Choose what you like best. Scroll through the other Layer modes, you may find something you like better. After you find what you like, merge the parchment layer down to the clouds layer. You may want to save the background as an xcf file and work on a copy of it; Ctrl + D and close the xcf file.

8. Animation > Spinning Globe. I made mine 80 layers and to spin from left to right. It's a good thing to have work on copy checked. That way if you don't like the globe you can delete the new globe image and start again. Be sure you set Index to n colors (0 = remain RGB) as zero so it won't Index your globe colors and make it rough around the edges. If you want the stars in the starry background to take on a very pale color of the background, don't set the Index to n colors, leave it the default. The roughness doesn't show on the globe with the dark bg behind it.

Run the filter. You will need to wait awhile while the spinning globe filter works.

9. Once your globe is finished, hold down the Shift key and click between the eye and the thumbnail in the layers so that every layer has the chain link Image in it.

10. Click the bottom layer of your globe layers. File > Open as Layers and open your starry background picture. It will open as the next to the last layer. Move it to the bottom layer.

11. With your bottom (starry background) layer selected, go to Image > Fit canvas to layers and your globe picture expands out to fit the starry background size. Ctrl + E to expand the image so you can see it all.

12. Click any globe layer (not the starry background layer). Click the Rotate :rot tool. I used -15 in there to tilt it to the left, or 15 to tilt it to the right. Click apply.

13. Click the Move tool :move , be sure it is set to Move the active layer in the options. Move the globe to where you want it. All of the layers will move together. Take a look at your picture. Now is the time to crop it if you want.

14. Go to Filters > Animation > Combine background. That will put the background behind all of the globe layers. The orignal background is still on the bottom layer. Delete the bottom layer.
    Look over your picture. If you want to crop it more, now is the time to do it.

15. Filters > Animation > Optimize (Difference). Cuts down on the size of the picture so it doesn't take up so much bandwidth. Wait for it to finish.

16. Go to Image > Mode > Indexed and where it says Color dithering: Choose Floyd-Steinberg (reduced color bleeding) and click Convert. I like to use that when Indexing gif files. It seems to do a nicer job of converting to Indexed rather than the default setting. You will have to wait a little while for it to finish.

17. Your picture is done. Click Filters > Animation > Playback and click the arrow on the upper left to see it in motion. Click the X in the right corner to close the Playback dialog.

18. File Save As > Name your file a descriptive name and save as myfilename.gif. Browse to where you want to save it and click Save. The Export dialog will come up. Be sure to click Save as Animation, then click Export. Use the default settings in the next dialog that comes up.

You are finished.

Download the pdf file of this tutorial.

Attachments:
Spinning World Tutorial.pdf [902.69 KiB]
Downloaded 716 times

Post subject: Re: Spinning World Tutorial
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:01 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Thank you for the excellent tutorial O..... very well done. Here is my first attempt. Going to try another one now. woo hoo :paint :teethImage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:14 am  (#3) 
Retired Staff

Oh, molly. That is beautiful! I LOVE your background. :hi5

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:39 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

Thanks O....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:51 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Very nice, O and Molly. I just did this at 1600 X 1600 pixels but don't care for the result so I'm going to try it again on a smaller scale. I have an unhealthy fascination with over-sized graphics. :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:59 am  (#6) 
Global Moderator

Thanks Mike. I used a 400x400 transparent layer for my globe on the second, that way, I didn't have to resize it. seems to fit the 700x467 layer better for me anyway.....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:24 am  (#7) 
Global Moderator

I just had to do another one. they are so pretty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:44 pm  (#8) 
Retired Staff

Molly, that's wonderful! I used your fog idea and overlayed my globe with fog.

I used this image for this world.

I scaled the NASA image by changing the height to 600 when I scaled it. Then I cropped the resulting image to 890 x 600 to make it a more manageable size.

Made a selection with the Rectangular selection tool in the brightest area of 450 x 450, Ctrl C to copy, Ctrl + Shift + V to make a new 450 x 450 image. Made it seamless and used Plastic Wrap on it. Then I used the Spinning Globe filter.

I sent ahead and used the NASA background I had resized, rotated and positioned the globe and cropped to the size I wanted. Combined the background, deleted the bottom layer.

File > New and the new image came out the same size as my globe image. Filters > Render > Fog (this filter is only available to those with Python) I used a turbulence of 1.5 so the fog wasn't too dense to see what was under it, and used a very pale gray for the color (f0f0f0), I didn't want stark white.

Made sure the bottom layer was selected in the finished globe image (it helps to zoom out to 25% and do Ctrl + E so that you have a much smaller image to work with). Activated the fog layer and in it's image window, dragged the top layer thumbnail over to the globe image and moved it down to the bottom layer. Filters > Animation > Overlay Background. Deleted the bottom layer, Then Optimized (Difference) the image.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:35 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Cool tutorial O! :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:07 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

This is groovy.
Attachment:
planet spin.gif
planet spin.gif [ 4.05 MiB | Viewed 12427 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:28 pm  (#11) 
Retired Staff

Whoa nixnine! That is mysterious, spooky and downright awesome. Very nice job!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:41 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

This one was fun. Clipped the blue one, though, while adjusting size. Oh well. I like it.
Attachment:
planets2.gif
planets2.gif [ 5.35 MiB | Viewed 2817 times ]

Last edited by nixnine on Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:46 pm  (#13) 
Retired Staff

Well if you clipped the blue one, I can't see it. Looks perfectly spherical to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:17 pm  (#14) 
Global Moderator

that is so cool nixnine. love it. the colors are great......

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:50 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

nixnine wrote:
This is groovy.
Attachment:
planet spin.gif

I like how you added your name to the globe. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:35 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
nixnine wrote:
This is groovy.
Attachment:
planet spin.gif

I like how you added your name to the globe. :)
:lol
hadn't seen that at first :ditto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:56 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

nixnine wrote:
This one was fun. Clipped the blue one, though, while adjusting size. Oh well. I like it.
Attachment:
planets2.gif

It's look great Nixnine....i like it :)

My Flickr
http://anaplus.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:35 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Did you know that there is another new planet in the space? Ooo,yes. :jumpclap It's called planet Gimp.

My Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:40 am  (#19) 
Global Moderator

super. very nice blends.....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:52 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
super. very nice blends.....

Thanks Molly :) but still it goes fast...don't know what am i doing wrong....i put 200ms delay per frame :?

My Flickr