Discuss general Gimp topics here
Post a reply

Re: Gimp 3 won't be released till may 2024 + my negative thoughts on t

Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:40 pm

contrast_ Hmm? I'm not sure what you mean - I've never had to run "layer to image size" when testing the NDE code. That said, I've focused on applying the built-in filters to text so maybe there's some issue with third-party plug-ins. I can check.

Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:50 pm

CmykStudent wrote:contrast_ Hmm? I'm not sure what you mean - I've never had to run "layer to image size" when testing the NDE code. That said, I've focused on applying the built-in filters to text so maybe there's some issue with third-party plug-ins. I can check.

It can be triggered with built in filters like this Long Shadow, but plugins make it even more noticable.

Long Shadow without Layer to Image Size and its clipping
2023-12-30_19-43.png
2023-12-30_19-43.png (82.73 KiB) Viewed 1010 times

Plugin (GEGL Effects) without Layer to Image Size and its clipping
clip_effects.png
clip_effects.png (293.32 KiB) Viewed 1010 times

Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:13 pm

contrast_ I see. I just tried Long Shadow and it seems to work fine. You can see a video here: https://fosstodon.org/@CmykStudent/111672369103989370

It's probably because with NDE, you can leave the layer as a Text Layer instead of converting it to a raster so there's no issue with clipping.

Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:41 am

CmykStudent wrote:Erisian GEGL itself is non-destructive, but GIMP doesn't fully expose that feature of it. There actually is a good foundation in place by the developers. My account's too new to post a direct link yet, but if you go to Fosstodon and visit my page (same user name), you'll see some videos demoing it.
There's still a chance that initial non-destructive editing will make it into GIMP 2.99.18 and 3.0; finger's crossed!

That is really good news. I will take a look at your page later today, but thank you for the information.

Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:22 pm

Remember when I said "obscure video games from 20 years ago have larger mod communities then Gimp"

well this is an example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u-UNjMv9Ig

Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:28 am

Erisian wrote:
CmykStudent wrote:Erisian GEGL itself is non-destructive, but GIMP doesn't fully expose that feature of it. There actually is a good foundation in place by the developers. My account's too new to post a direct link yet, but if you go to Fosstodon and visit my page (same user name), you'll see some videos demoing it.
There's still a chance that initial non-destructive editing will make it into GIMP 2.99.18 and 3.0; finger's crossed!

That is really good news. I will take a look at your page later today, but thank you for the information.

Probably just now with Gimp 2.99.18 it is worth a trial for use, rather than for debugging. CmykStudents code did make it as "Layer Effects" where you can go back and adjust (some-of-the) filters regardless of position. This is a linux appimage, I assume Windows version is available.

layer-effects.jpg
layer-effects.jpg (193.12 KiB) Viewed 722 times

One caveat, These .xcf files are not backward compatible with Gimp 2.10 (it does warn you) so no mix-n-match.

When it comes to full time use, I think Gimp 2.10 will be around for a long time. Too many useful old scripts and plugins that will need re-writing (unless AI comes to the rescue). Even then, and this is subjective, some GEGL filters are just not as good as old plugins. Example, Recently, I had to pull out an old Gimp 2.8 ripple plugin, it is just better than the the new one, such is life.

Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:31 pm

rich2005: A fellow light theme user! :)

Yes, there's an on-going request to port more filters to GEGL and to improve the ones already ported. I'm hoping that'll really pick up after 3.0 when more people will have tried out non-destructive editing.

Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:48 pm

Will Python plugins have to be changed to work with Python 3?

Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:10 pm

Yes.
Because of Python 3 and the new API

Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:18 am

I no longer have negative thoughts because it is confirmed my inner glow and three of my bevel plugins merged into one bevel plugin will ship with Gimp 3's release. And if I solve a very complex problem before the end of March then GEGL Effects lite will be in Gimp 3 as well. it's already in workshop.

I am working on said complex problem to get GEGL Effects lite out of GEGL workshop

Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:28 am

That's really good news contrast. I'm looking forward to the release.

Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:11 pm

Pippin gave me instructions for doing things with GEGL I never did before. I thought it would be very difficult but I solved it. Said challenge was to make my disable checkboxes (ie Disable Inner Glow, Disable Bevel, ect...) disconnect GEGL nodes. The second thing Pippin requested was to put some task as state-> and others in attach. I did exactly as Pippin said. That problem is solved so GEGL Styles will run as fast as possible.

Then Pippin told me to make the descriptions slider names more consistent; such as not using the words 'outline' and 'stroke' together and to pick one. GEGL Styles now only uses the term outline to describe anything to do with the outline, before it used the word outline and stroke in its description which can confuse translators.

Now it is still in GEGL workshop but I am trying to get it out before Gimp 3's release.

Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:33 pm

I'm really surprised no other GEGL plugins but mine exist. (souless tree deactivated his Github)

I've been making GEGL plugins for almost two years and no one else has even started.

Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:17 pm

I wonder why no one on this forum is testing Gimp 2.99.19 - sad to see a Gimp forum where keeping up with Gimp is not a priority. 2.99.18 is way far behind the latest 2.99.19.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GIMP/comments/ ... 29919_dev/

Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 am

contrast_ wrote:I wonder why no one on this forum is testing Gimp 2.99.19 - sad to see a Gimp forum where keeping up with Gimp is not a priority. 2.99.18 is way far behind the latest 2.99.19.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GIMP/comments/ ... 29919_dev/

I think we all appreciate your mission and what you are doing with GEGL.

But maybe so called "... keeping up with Gimp as a priority" is not what we are about. I use Gimp for artistic creativity purposes, using a cohort of scripts and plugins garnered over many years. As I believe Rich2005 pointed out "Gimp 2.10 will be around for a long time", given it seems all those scripts and plugins will need to be rewritten and also because of no backward compatibility for XCF files.

I'm too old to go through so much hassle with Gimp 3 and what seems like a major, major change. Yes, I know, DINOSAURS ... :(

Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 am

contrast_ wrote:I wonder why no one on this forum is testing Gimp 2.99.19 - sad to see a Gimp forum where keeping up with Gimp is not a priority. 2.99.18 is way far behind the latest 2.99.19.

I do test it in a virtualbox. For daily stuff I still use 2.10 - and will for a long time I guess.
I have a bunch of plugins which need reworking. But the API still changes a lot so it's too early yet.
Also there are quite a few things that do not work yet.
And honestly: I do not need NDE. So no need to hurry.
For me it would have been enough to renew GTK and Python so it works on today's systems and leave the other stuff alone. Or at least give us a compatibility layer for a while. It's just a pity to throw all the existing scripts away.

Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

oldmangrumpy: Hi! Gimp 3.0 will be able to open any .xcf files created in 2.10, so it will be backwards compatible in that sense. Gimp 2.10 will be able to open .xcf files created in 3.0 as long as they don't use any 3.0 exclusive features (like layer effects).

oldmangrumpy, nelo: Yes, we have one more 2.10 bugfix release planned (likely in April) before 3.0 comes out. People are free to use whatever version of the software they like. :)
We'd also talked about compiling lists of most-used 2.10 scripts and trying to assist with porting them, though that would likely be after 3.0.

Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 pm

I want to make new plugins that call Gimp 2.99.19's native gegl:inner-glow and gegl:bevel and even GEGL Styles (as a dependency)

but 2.10 and 2.99.18 users won't have access to them. I can't push GEGL to new heights if I am limited to Gimp 2.10 or even 2.99.18

Thu May 30, 2024 2:22 pm

May 2024 is on its final two days and there is still no GIMP 3 RC1 and these days I don't feel the same passion for GIMP that I use too but I still maintain my GEGL Plugins.

My Layer Effects engine is in GIMP 2.99.19 but the casuals are still stuck on 2.99.18

Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:56 pm

contrast_ wrote:May 2024 is on its final two days and there is still no GIMP 3 RC1 and these days I don't feel the same passion for GIMP that I use too but I still maintain my GEGL Plugins.

My Layer Effects engine is in GIMP 2.99.19 but the casuals are still stuck on 2.99.18

well, don't give up!
I've been using GIMP since around 2001-2 when I installed Red Hat on my old laptop.

Since then I make sure to install GIMP on every Linux OS I have. Real life can often get in the way and the pandemic just made things worse.

When I have time I enjoy using GIMP. I love people like you who have worked tirelessly to make wonderful scripts, etc. I'm just here to say I appreciate your efforts. :jumpclap
Post a reply