It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Please preserve GIMP 2.10 on Linux for the future
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:58 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hello, I made this thread to encourage the community to preserve GIMP 2.10 so it will run on future Linux distros long after GIMP 3 is released.

Let us assume GIMP 2.10.38 / GEGL 0.4.48 is the last version of GIMP 2.10 ever and the year is 2026 with GIMP 3.2. Will GIMP 2.10 still be usable on Linux? I hope so... We (GIMP's community) knows for sure that the last release of GIMP 2.10 will always work on Windows and Mac due to backward compatibility via grabbing an old .exe/.dmg but on Linux backward compatibility is very difficult. Once GIMP 3 is released python2 and gtk2 will be dropped from major Linux distro repos and flathub will remove old versions of GIMP. This always happens...

This means that getting GIMP 2.10 to run on Linux several years from now may be extremely difficult outside of virtual machines. The solution to this problem is Flatpak but not Flathub. GIMP's community will have to make a private flatpak repo of GIMP 2.10.38 that ships with python2, gtk2 and GEGL 0.4.48. If not GIMP 2.10 will never work on Linux again without extreme tinkering or virtual box. A few years from now GIMP 2.10 will be inaccessible on Linux without third party flatpak repos.

Lastly, I have a personal reason to keep GIMP 2.10 working forever on Linux. Please make sure we never lose GIMP 2.10 :gimp
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20929

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati