It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gimp YouTube Series?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:56 am  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
Actually, you need to think about the other end of the spectrum just as much, if not more. Until you can create an utility program that will prove to me EXACTLY what beginners will type into a search engine query box, I'll stick with using the most common tags. There are no laws or special requirements that explain an author's responsibility to his audience. Acts of kindness do not fall under some micromanagement type protocol and policy.

Google already created that tool, and with some research you'll figure out what the mass majority of users are typing in Google.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:13 am  (#22) 
Global Moderator

The irony just continues.

I am Google. Tutorial authors, video enthusiasts, and the like, can base all their tags on "most used search queries" and still miss the mark. It's not a 100% catch-all utility. You cannot predict how a beginner will query his search, starting out, to lead them to the information they need most. I agree with you that good SEO skills should be utilized when attempting to reach your audience. But, I'll say no more, because you'll discover these things on your own.

For most, unless you have privileges, like myself, it's going to cost you for your tag queries to reach the 1st page, unfluttered and unfluffed. Most beginners land on the first page and get flustered. Do you know what the percentages are for people who go beyond the first page? 16%!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:19 am  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

Video tutorials are better with audio though and please no music. :ninja

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:20 am  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
The irony just continues.

I am Google. Tutorial authors, video enthusiasts, and the like, can base all their tags on "most used search queries" and still miss the mark. It's not a 100% catch-all utility. You cannot predict how a beginner will query his search, starting out, to lead them to the information they need most. I agree with you that good SEO skills should be utilized when attempting to reach your audience. But, I'll say no more, because you'll discover these things on your own.

For most, unless you have privileges, like myself, it's going to cost you for your tag queries to reach the 1st page, unfluttered and unfluffed. Most beginners land on the first page and get flustered. Do you know what the percentages are for people who go beyond the first page? 16%!

I am well aware of the google percentages, but you don't have to cough up money to get there. Google search for "gimp photo blog" without quotes once. I am result 3 and 5. I didn't pay a dime to get there.

As for missing the mark, that's going to happen. You can't get everyone, but with effort and time you can get the mass majority. You just have to be willing to find the people.

Anyway, we're getting off-topic here. I'll keep everyone posted on the tutorials as I go. I'd love to get feedback from you guys.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:21 am  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
Video tutorials are better with audio though and please no music. :ninja

My god that drives me insane. I'll do the tutorials similar to how I did the video I posted earlier this week. Thanks for the feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:29 am  (#26) 
Global Moderator

I guess you missed the point about 1st page landings? Page 3 and 5 don't mean much to 84% of the beginners that never see it. Your ranking results changed when I went to search it.

You might be taking this that I am against you, and you would be wrong. I want you to succeed. I want beginners to see the tutorials they need to see, first. The problem is Google rotates 1st page rankings almost constantly, so it becomes like a crap shoot, and you just hope to get lucky.

I haven't tested Bing. It's sort of "off-limits" for me.

ReadyPhotoSite Blog is yours? I've used some of the tutorials there, btw.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:45 am  (#27) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
I guess you missed the point about 1st page landings? Page 3 and 5 don't mean much to 84% of the beginners that never see it. You might be taking this that I am against you, and you would be wrong. I want you to succeed. I want beginners to see the tutorials they need to see, first. The problem is Google rotates 1st page rankings almost constantly, so it becomes like a crap shoot, and you just hope to get lucky.

I haven't tested Bing. It's sort of "off-limits" for me.

When you said "first page" landings, I thought you meant "first page of the search results in google" sorry about that. You're right about the first result. YouTube is the second-most searched search engine in the world (the irony that google owns it is not lost on me) so adding videos to there with good SEO can also help this.

Anyway, I understand your argument, and completely agree. My point is simply that it isn't all about google anymore, not like it used to be. Spreading your wings and helping people in every nook and cranny you can find will make a big difference too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:46 am  (#28) 
GimpChat Member

Just post the tutorial links in most of the gimp blogs (mine included), and a bunch of forums.Word of mouth will get you added to many folks favorites list quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:51 am  (#29) 
Global Moderator

I agree, wholeheartedly. And with your depth on tutorial videos, many beginners will benefit from it. I wish that the GIMP program itself was more interactive with users in their search for help while they are in the program, because the manual doesn't suit a beginner's mindset being their first experience. Just getting the manual into GIMP is a crisis in itself, and most beginners cannot fathom those early initial processes. Maybe you could even do a video tutorial on installing the help files?

I agree, Rod, word of mouth is far more active than it was a few years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:55 am  (#30) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
I agree, wholeheartedly. And with your depth on tutorial videos, many beginners will benefit from it. I wish that the GIMP program itself was more interactive with users in their search for help while they are in the program, because the manual doesn't suit a beginner's mindset being their first experience.

That's so funny that you bring this up...I just found a pretty neat tool that may help that:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2513

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:02 pm  (#31) 
Global Moderator

I read that earlier and I agree that beginners would/will benefit from it. I have a lot of questions though. Does it have a "graduation" process where you can take the "training wheels" off? Because my only concern is that it might keep beginners in the "beginner mindset". Then again, maybe not. I haven't downloaded it to check.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:04 pm  (#32) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
I read that earlier and I agree that beginners would/will benefit from it. I have a lot of questions though. Does it have a "graduation" process where you can take the "training wheels" off? Because my only concern is that it might keep beginners in the "beginner mindset". Then again, maybe not. I haven't downloaded it to check.

I'll continue this conversation in the other topic for the sake of organization.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:06 pm  (#33) 
Global Moderator

Don't forget to add "Installing the GIMP Help files" to your video list.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:26 pm  (#34) 
GimpChat Member

@ tstandiford

back to your very first question

Quote:
Here's the topics I'll be covering. Do you think there is anything else needs added?

What you think of my proposal (aka " how install any addon (using the gimp preferences ) ?
If you do i will like to mirror your video on the page of a new gimp related project, we really need something alike

#######################################################

And as idea for another video

will be also very useful a video as "how to use at best gimp preferences", it is incredible the additional power the smart use of the preferences may give, (Starting from reset the default memory cache and swap space to value more reasonable for modern computer, the default is good only for very obsolete...that may really speed up gimp!

But there is much more .... if you are interested i may search the links for the most interesting things that may done from gimp preferences

It is true Gimp preferences are a Labirinth but a Labirinth so rich of treasures !
And a video would be of great help to find the right way in the labirinth

And tstandiford, in case you will get the satisfation to be the first and have done something original :
there are tons on video on how to use gimp to edit, how retouch photo and so on and on
BUT as far i know none explaining how to face and what treasures (as example to tailored gimp to the most different task and user needs ) you may get once entered in the Labirinth of the Gimp preferences.

And yes i will be glad to promote as much i can also a similar video

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:28 pm  (#35) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
Don't forget to add "Installing the GIMP Help files" to your video list.

Just written a long rant on M$ and had to scrap it, but the first really useable Windows, Win 3.1 is coming up to its 20th anniversary and what do we have, a generation of users who can not install a help file and can not move a file from one directory to another. (refuse to call them 'folders'). Shame on you, Bill Gates & Microsoft.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:39 pm  (#36) 
GimpChat Member

PhotoComix wrote:
@ tstandiford

back to your very first question

Quote:
Here's the topics I'll be covering. Do you think there is anything else needs added?

What you think of my proposal (aka " how install any addon (using the gimp preferences ) ?
If you do i will like to mirror your video on the page of a new gimp related project, we really need something alike

And as idea for another video

will be also very useful a video as "how to use at best gimp preferences", it is incredible the additional power the smart use of the preferences may give, (Starting from reset the default memory cache and swap space to value more reasonable for modern computer, the default is good only for very obsolete...that may really speed up gimp!

But there is much more .... if you are interested i may search the links for the most interesting things that may done from gimp preferences

It is true Gimp preferences are a Labirinth but a Labirinth so rich of treasures !
And a video would be of great help to find the right way in the labirinth

And tstandiford, in case you will get the satisfation to be the first and have done something original :
there are tons on video on how to use gimp to edit, how retouch photo and so on and on
BUT as far i know none explaining how to face and what treasures (as example to tailored gimp to the most different task and user needs ) you may get once entered in the Labirinth of the Gimp preferences.

And yes i will be glad to promote as much i can also a similar video

First off, I'm very sorry for forgetting to reply to your post! I read it, and am all for it. I can title it "customizing your gimp experience" or something along those lines. You have excellent points in this response, I can hardly believe I missed it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:34 pm  (#37) 
GimpChat Member

tstandiford wrote:

First off, I'm very sorry for forgetting to reply to your post! I read it, and am all for it. I can title it "customizing your gimp experience" or something along those lines. You have excellent points in this response, I can hardly believe I missed it.

Fine !! :jumpclap
but this answer only to part 2 (= after the ##########) of my message what about the first :?:, that summarized in a few words was proposing

A video on "The simplest way to to install ANY add-on " (that is EXACTLY the same for linux, mac and windows , and is done troght Edit/preferences/folder/ plugin...plugin or whatelse depending from the type of add on to install

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:37 pm  (#38) 
GimpChat Member

PhotoComix wrote:
tstandiford wrote:

Fine !! :jumpclap
but this answer only to part 2 (= after the ##########) of my message what about the first :?:, that summarized in a few words was proposing

A video on "The simplest way to to install ANY add-on " (that is EXACTLY the same for linux, mac and windows , and is done troght Edit/preferences/folder/ plugin...plugin or whatelse depending from the type of add on to install

Man I gotta work on my wording. I was all for all of it, lol. I'm going to start making the tutorials this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:48 pm  (#39) 
GimpChat Member

Interface Lesson Video Notes:
1.)Define different dockable dialog boxes
2.)Explain how to move and manipulate dockable dialog boxes
3.)Mention the TAB key tollbar toggle shortcut
4.)Create a new file
5.)Show rulers, and snap bars
6.)Discuss different Zooming and panning methods
7.)Explain coordinate system in the corner

Is there anything that you feel should be mentioned about the interface that I failed to mention here?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:23 pm  (#40) 
GimpChat Member

Wow, I have used gimp for a while but am so unknowledgeable about most of those topics! I can really benefit from a vid aimed at beginners! But remember, good audio but no music, hahaha.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next