It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AdaptableGimp - pretty cool idea.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:38 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Check this out...pretty cool.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

http://www.adaptablegimp.org/w/Welcome_to_AdaptableGIMP

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: AdaptableGimp - pretty cool idea.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:12 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Looks very interesting but I think I will wait to see someone test it first.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:24 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
Looks very interesting but I think I will wait to see someone test it first.

It could really help flatten the alleged "steep learning curve."

It's another sign that people are struggling to learn this software.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:50 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

This would be good for novice users but might be a little annoying once you've used GIMP for a little while. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:39 am  (#5) 
Global Moderator

I agree, Lyle. Beginners could benefit from it, but intermediates and GIMP veterans would cringe at the notion of letting GIMP direct their choices in the toolbox, lol.

My toolbox is set according to my years of use, every tool is in its place. Every time I get a new computer and re-install GIMP, all my configuration files get added first.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:58 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

The implications for tutorials and quick tricks could be really cool though.Not to mention all those images i created and forgot how.
But would you have to be connected to the internet every time you use Gimp, or would you have to download the latest wiki version?

I downloaded the adaptable program to test it.
I will let you know how it works for me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:09 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
I read that earlier and I agree that beginners would/will benefit from it. I have a lot of questions though. Does it have a "graduation" process where you can take the "training wheels" off? Because my only concern is that it might keep beginners in the "beginner mindset". Then again, maybe not. I haven't downloaded it to check.

I haven't downloaded it either although I don't know if you could really make it a process since from what I gathered this tool would be an "at your own pace" kind of thing. In the end, if a person truly wanted to understand gimp, they would take the time to read the content generated from the search bar, and with time dump the training wheels on their own. (Ironically enough, think about how many people you see with training wheels on their actual bike, they had to make the decision at some point right? lol.)

Now I'm imagining the Niel Armstrong with training wheels...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:18 pm  (#8) 
Global Moderator

I should probably rephrase training wheels, to "reset the toolbox parameters to standard". As you said, after a while, the whole notion of interactivity becomes unnecessary for many, and having to start all over with a fresh install of GIMP could be, at its worst, annoying. Clicking off interactivity, would be ideal. Maybe Rod will discover this for us and share his input.

If Neil Armstrong was using GIMP, he just might need them. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:22 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
The implications for tutorials and quick tricks could be really cool though.Not to mention all those images i created and forgot how.
But would you have to be connected to the internet every time you use Gimp, or would you have to download the latest wiki version?

I downloaded the adaptable program to test it.
I will let you know how it works for me.

:yes Keep us posted!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:41 pm  (#10) 
Global Moderator

I also downloaded the adaptable program as soon as I saw it posted, I got error after error after error, I then took it out of programs and scrapped the idea.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:48 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
I also downloaded the adaptable program as soon as I saw it posted, I got error after error after error, I then took it out of programs and scrapped the idea.

What kind of errors? Did it mess up gimp in general, or was the add-on just messing up internally?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Interesting discussion of this topic is on GimpTalk (unfortunately currently unavailable again ...)
http://www.gimptalk.com/index.php?/topic/50912-adaptable-gimp/

Slava
Ukraini!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:25 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Installation went nice.The program installs into
C:\Program Files\adaptablegimp-2.6.10 so it doesn't interfere with current installs.
Interface at launch (Gimp-2.6.10)

It also grabs the gimp-2.6 USER folder rc files and plugins so it might be a good idea to have the developers fix that.
TWO errors for my gimp-2.6.11 plugins popped up on launch.
PSPI
USERFILTER

At initial launch and opening of the interface i got a block warning from Windows new malicious program device.Just click unblock if you are a windows user if this window appears.

I got a center window asking to join a research group.You do not get a choice.Click join group and the icon to close that window appears. :)

Then you get a choose user window - you can select no user for this session however i did not so i do not know what will happen. :)

Sort of self explanatory.

After filling out all the user stuff you get this window

Now you just click start.
YAY! i can finally use Gimp. (J/K) :rofl

Here is the actual interface in user mode...

I tried to add a wiki for drop shadow to text through the interface (kinda neat).
http://www.adaptablegimp.org/w/TaskSet: ... _your_text
It wouldn't allow me to use the plugin <Image>/Filters/Blur/Gaussian blur though so i added it to the wiki by editing the page.I also changed it to a readable tool Blur/Sharpen

By the way you can dock your tools list inside the layers dialog like this..

This image also shows the new tool tip i created added to Gimps task menu. :)

It also shows what to click to edit the wiki and the commands.

This is pretty cool i think you guys should try it out. :bigthup

:ninja

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:35 pm  (#14) 
Global Moderator

Anyway to reset the toolbox to standard? I'm getting the feeling the answer will be no.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:41 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Hey i think i fixed the wiki page :lol
This will take some getting used to but it's fun.

Mahvin i showed how to get the tool box list in the dialogs that are open.See previous posts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:41 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

:clap how cool! Thanks for sharing the details. I'll have to check into it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:46 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

tstandiford wrote:
:clap how cool! Thanks for sharing the details. I'll have to check into it.

Not a problem.I think this is going to have many nice implications not just for tutorials and new users.

Marero you and i were looking for a action type plugin...guess what.. this does it all for you as you go.Just click an action and voila! :)

I think (i hope), there is a way to add all the filters even your own added ones like 8bfs in the mix.
Also i really think Filters should include all sub menu filters like Gaussian blur.EVERYONE uses Gaussian blur sometime or another.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:49 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

http://www.adaptablegimp.org/w/Browse_Tasksets

I would love to see this list grow exponentially! :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:59 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

I teach people how to use Gimp. The first thing I tell them is that they have to "play with all the buttons." I learned the basics by doing that. Then when I had the need for more advanced techniques, I searched them on the internet. And in all honesty, I like doing things MY way, based on what I learned playing with the buttons. Which everyone learning the program should prefer their way. I modify tutorials, adapt techniques to my style. To be able to effectively use Gimp, one must be able to achieve a certain look/effect in a variety of different ways.

And Gimp is a great program. I would hate to see it end up trimmed down/standardized/simplified. Any serious user should be willing to learn the program inside and out. As for learning curve, the learning never ends, which makes Gimp an invaluable program.

The first image editing software I used was M$ PictureIt Publishing 2001. Simple, basic, boring when you learn everything you can do. Sure, many people today want something like that. But there are many programs available for touch-up or red-eye removal. Gimp is for serious work. And I believe anyone can learn the program if they are determined to use it.

I don't mean to rant, it just annoys me sometimes at the amount of shortcuts people look for. They like programs like Gimp or Blender or Inkscape, but they want to be able to use them like a Walmart photo kiosk. Dedicate the time learning to do something. It's worth it. Hey, I make money with my Gimp designs. If nothing else, that should motivate people to "learn" the program.

Apologies if I offend anyone.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:02 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

nixnine wrote:
I teach people how to use Gimp. The first thing I tell them is that they have to "play with all the buttons." I learned the basics by doing that. Then when I had the need for more advanced techniques, I searched them on the internet. And in all honesty, I like doing things MY way, based on what I learned playing with the buttons. Which everyone learning the program should prefer their way. I modify tutorials, adapt techniques to my style. To be able to effectively use Gimp, one must be able to achieve a certain look/effect in a variety of different ways.

And Gimp is a great program. I would hate to see it end up trimmed down/standardized/simplified. Any serious user should be willing to learn the program inside and out. As for learning curve, the learning never ends, which makes Gimp an invaluable program.

The first image editing software I used was M$ PictureIt Publishing 2001. Simple, basic, boring when you learn everything you can do. Sure, many people today want something like that. But there are many programs available for touch-up or red-eye removal. Gimp is for serious work. And I believe anyone can learn the program if they are determined to use it.

I don't mean to rant, it just annoys me sometimes at the amount of shortcuts people look for. They like programs like Gimp or Blender or Inkscape, but they want to be able to use them like a Walmart photo kiosk. Dedicate the time learning to do something. It's worth it. Hey, I make money with my Gimp designs. If nothing else, that should motivate people to "learn" the program.

Apologies if I offend anyone.

:clap Well said! I think this is running very parallel to mahvin's comments earlier.