It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Spiffy new HowTo for building the GIMP from git (Linux)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:11 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hi All,

I recently started my first blog, and my first article is all about compiling GIMP on Linux, from the git repository. Unfortunately no one knows it's there :(

Actually I found it on Google today, 78 down the list, and yet......I smiled :hehe

Back on topic, at over 1000 characters it's a pretty thorough HowTo for Fedora that will give you a full featured installation, with theming, desktop integration, how to update, or if you must, uninstall. And no headaches.

I'm the only one whose test driven the HowTo, and would love to get some feedback from others on how easy it is to follow (have I got the balance right?), and whether it worked without a hitch for them.

So if your using Fedora and want to build the latest and greatest GIMP but aren't sure how to go about it, please checkout the article and let me know how you got on, preferably as comments to the article (be the first ;)).

If you're not using Fedora (but still Linux) and don't mind a little trial and error to get the Uber GIMP, I'd be happy to try and help get you up and running, and hopefully improve the HowTo at the same time.

Hope to see some of you there :) http://thefractalmaze.net/archive/2011/ ... ding-gimp/

Look! I'm all GIMPed Up! :mrgreen:

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: A Spiffy new HowTo for building the GIMP from git (Linux)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:36 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

are you an angel? I was literally just trying to do this last night.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:23 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

There's timing for you, unfortunately you're in a parallel universe (Ubuntu) :roll:. That said, there shouldn't be any issues getting a nice build routine going on Ubuntu.

I see in your topic a couple of people have suggested links to instructions, that might be your quickest solution, however I would not be inclined to run each step with root privileges, but if you do, just type 'sudo -i' or simply 'su' to drop to a root shell, there's no need to assign a root password.

On the other hand, I think adapting my Fedora tutorial would give you a pretty clean and maintainable build, all that should be needed is working out the correct distribution package names, differences in source dependencies, and any little tweaks here and there. I'd be happy to help with that, just be sure to share notes so I can update the article for any other Ubuntu users.

Why not read the article so you're familiar with the stages, then let me know if you want to go that route.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:01 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

A few questions (before you try on Ubuntu...):
Do you have the opportunity in this version:
1. Python plugins run?
2. Does it work GMIC?
3. Does it work MathMap?

The Gimp 2.7.3 for Ubuntu to find you work - but as for me, only when it is installed in the main user directories (not in the other - prefix ...)

Slava
Ukraini!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:24 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Founder

Thanks for the git instructions and :welcome to Gimp Chat. I'm a Fedora user, as well. :pengy

I don't plan on updating until the official 2.8 version is released but you have provided an excellent resource on your blog. :bigthup

We would be most appreciative for a reciprocating link to Gimp Chat. :tyspin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:34 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

I have 3 questions.
Gimp-2.7.4? ... I didn't think it was out yet just 2.7.3
Did the developers release a new version?
Does it include the new seamless clone tool?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:45 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

@MareroQ - I'm fairly new to GIMP and have little knowledge of the available plugins, I did google GMIC and installed it, thanks for the heads up on such a great plugin, and yes, it works. No idea about mathmap, or python plugins, but the python console works fine.

Remember that developer snapshots aren't production releases, and your mileage will vary on what works and what doesn't.

@Rod - No, 2.7.4 is not done, the image is from a build of the latest source, since 2.7.3 is out, the devs update the version number to the next version they are working on. I'm pretty sure it doesn't include seamless cloning.