It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ... and another email fraud
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:14 pm  (#1) 
Retired Staff

In my Google mail account, I received the attached pdf file, (the name of it was my real name). The subject of the email was Letter from Chase, implying that it was JP Morgan Chase Manhattan Banking (not my banker), and from someone named Mirna El Hazin, mirnaelhazinlaw@yahoo.com.

The salutation in the crookedly scanned document was Dear Attorney. Yeah, like I'm an attorney. It also has a reference to my "client" in it.

Anyway, there was a lot of information they wanted, including my bank, my bank account number, etc. They also told me to keep enough money in my account to make automatic payments for my supposed home loan. ~snicker~

The letter is a mishmash of junk and how they ever thought anyone would be taken in by it is beyond me. It obviously is a fraud. It's easier to attach the pdf file they sent rather than try to explain it all. The attachment was the only thing in the email, no text in the body of the email.

Attachments:
My Name.pdf [614.09 KiB]
Downloaded 90 times

Post subject: Re: ... and another email fraud
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:57 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Have fun with them. Reply that you closed your account, but will reopen it asap. Then drag it out with excuses. Every minute you tie them up is that much less time they have to scam others.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:31 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

haha daemon, you really are a demon! It might be good to forward this to the real Chase Bank so they can use their resources to shut them down.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:12 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

There is nothing that can really be done. Most of these originate in Africa, and we have no extradition treaties nor jurisdiction there.

Check this for some good laughs though. There is some cursing so if you are offended by that don't read this.

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:09 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Play at their game we do if we get any.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:38 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

What is truly sad is that someone will fall for this, otherwise they wouldn't bother.
Anyone with a minimal education knows there are a few dead giveaways to this being a scam.
First of all, banks do not communicate with bankruptcy attorneys via e-mail.
They communicate with the trustee via certified or registered mail or with a representative at the meeting of creditors.
Secondly, the reaffirmation of any non-guaranteed debt is done at the meeting of creditors.
They left all of that in the PDF, and simply added the bogus ACH and Western Union information.
Thirdly, all federal bankruptcy cases have a uniform numbering system. That isn't it.

Sad anyone would even consider this to be a legitimate communication.