It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ubuntu One; anyone here use it?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:20 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Just installed the Windows version. I haven't installed Dropbox and I'm tired of sharing files and the you folk for instance have to get a sea of ads before you can actually find the download. I'm hoping that Ubuntu One eliminates this. Haven't tried to do any shares yet; mainly will for huge XCFs and other non-image files that image host sites won't support. We shall see if this will be a folly or not. Cool they are giving Windows users this gift too; 5Gs is pretty cool for free. :)

Psalm 109:8

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Ubuntu One; anyone here use it?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:40 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

I use Ubuntu One to take up the image gallery slack on my Droid. I love it!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:29 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I have an account but have never used it.
So One gives you 5gb and Dropbox gives you 5gb and Google Docs gives you 5gb as well. But its strange the Micro$oft's Skydrive gives you 25gb. The only thing with MS stuff is I'm pretty sure it intergrate with the OS. Also I believe that Skydrive is part of Windows 2011 Essentials.

I'm a Google Docs user and the thing I hate about it is that there is UI for the OS. Third party software exists but limits you due to the 'free' option. The paid version all the bells and whistles happen. Although I don't use it enough to rationalize a $50 piece of software.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:10 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

is this like using the cloud? I just upgraded my phone to ios 5 but can't use the cloud with the macbook because I would have to pay not only for Lion (which still has issues) but to upgrade several of my applications or they won't work with Lion. Apple can be a black hole of a money pit, grrrr.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:11 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I just did my first share with it. Cool indeed. Since the original photo is not mine, I will just share my entry. I uploaded both a thumbnail and full image. Probably the only time I'll ever share an image at Ubuntu One, but it was just a test and a success. Amazing such a service that gives you so much storage for free; no more idiotic pop ups either. :)

http://www.innographx.com/forum/viewtop ... 29#p130929

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:53 pm  (#6) 
Global Moderator

I get 20 gig from Google, so my Droid will never be without storage options. But man, those mini SD cards aren't cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:04 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
I get 20 gig from Google, so my Droid will never be without storage options. But man, those mini SD cards aren't cheap.

Excuse me sir! But how did you get 20gb from Google? How do you tap into the cloud from your desktop? I guessing a windows OS.

+ I was on newegg just last week and I was spying 32gb micro sd cards - speed level 10 for around $40. If memory serves me right it was either Kingston or Kenssington (spelling).

TY!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:10 pm  (#8) 
Global Moderator

I'm using Google Apps, with apps from the Droid market. Which also comes with another 5 gig from Box.net. So, make that 25 gig.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:27 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

2-ton wrote:
is this like using the cloud? I just upgraded my phone to ios 5 but can't use the cloud with the macbook because I would have to pay not only for Lion (which still has issues) but to upgrade several of my applications or they won't work with Lion. Apple can be a black hole of a money pit, grrrr.

yes, this is a cloud. As I use Ubuntu naturally I have access to Ubuntu One. I haven't used it yet.

I have shared files using Dropbox - which I find really great.

I really don't care for the notion of keeping and storing sensitive files in a cloud. But quickly exchanging files is great.

especially as Dropbox is available on phones

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:32 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
I'm using Google Apps, with apps from the Droid market. Which also comes with another 5 gig from Box.net. So, make that 25 gig.

Ah ok! Now I see! I can't wait to get my first pocket computer a.k.a smart phone. Have to wait for April though. :(

cecilia wrote:
2-ton wrote:

yes, this is a cloud. As I use Ubuntu naturally I have access to Ubuntu One. I haven't used it yet.

I have shared files using Dropbox - which I find really great.

I really don't care for the notion of keeping and storing sensitive files in a cloud. But quickly exchanging files is great.

especially as Dropbox is available on phones

If you can encrypt your information why not? Not only would it be stored encrypted but it would also be stored in bits and pieces all over the place. It'd be near impossible to figure out from just a sliver of a file that is encrypted.

But yes .. I can understand your concern.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:42 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Another alternative

This one was highlighted on the PCLOS forum and has since received favourable comments & these guys are hard to please.

h-t-t-p-s://minus.com/ (I've munged this to stop a link: for the security conscious)

At the moment I can't see I how they benefit from a free service that provides 10 GB cloud storage.

but .. my one and only test http://minus.com/mboYekciSm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:57 am  (#12) 
Global Moderator

Rich: Let me know how much extra space you get from my signing up. (You did use the link they suggested, right?)

You get 1 gig for every person that signs up under your provided link.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:52 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Yes, appologies, thats the link I use to access.

Had to go back to the PCLOS post, which pointed to this

http://techlaze.com/2011/09/minus-desktop-application-for-linux/

which pointed to this http://min.us/rbQd43C for the extra 10 GB

So, I don't get anything from anyone signing up, maybe someone, somewhere does.

And as far as I can tell, it is not a desktop application (not here anyway) and I don't see how it can be limited to linux.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:00 am  (#14) 
Global Moderator

Well, I got the Ubuntu desktop app, plus downloaded the Minus app for my droid, and made some pretty swift shares with photographs with several relatives, its faster than Box or Ubuntu One and even Drop Box. However, I did send in a bug report for the Droid app after attempting to post a photo to my Facebook page and it was replaced with text/ascii instead.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:13 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Well, bottom line is I'm firmly stuck in the past & not a great advocate of these 'cloud' storage devices. After all clouds come and go, I do have a DropBox account which I used for syncing my netbook. Have not used it for a while, probably expired. Facebook - what is facebook?
text/ascii now there's a thing, remember those ascii images from a line-printer you could do. One line per punched card - I can hear the "whats a punched card?" already.

This minus site does seem quicker, but limiting factor for me is how fast uploading goes which is a function of my cable ISP.