It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: On October 24th a solar coronal mass ejection impacted planet Earth
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:24 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

October Skylights
Image Credit & Copyright: Malcolm Park

Explanation: As northern hemisphere nights grow longer, October is a good month for spotting auroras, or even other eerie apparitions after dark. And this week the night sky did not disappoint. On October 24th a solar coronal mass ejection impacted planet Earth's magnetosphere triggering far ranging auroral displays. On that night, this dramatic silhouette against deep red and beautiful green curtains of shimmering light was captured near Whitby, Ontario, Canada. But auroras were reported even farther south, in US states like Alabama, Kansas, and Oklahoma at latitudes rarely haunted by the northern lights. Well above 100 kilometers, at the highest altitudes infused by the auroral glow, the red color comes from the excitation of oxygen atoms.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: On October 24th a solar coronal mass ejection impacted planet Eart
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:12 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Didn't get to MA ({middle Alabama; lol} or I didn't notice anything special then) Rod. Oh well. Would love the see this phenomenon for myself one day. :)

Psalm 109:8

Post subject: Re: On October 24th a solar coronal mass ejection impacted planet Eart
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:46 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I'm in Indy I didn't see squat of the northern lights. The guard and I went up to the 12th floor (top floor of the building) to get above the light pollution and this was around 8-8:30pm. Zero!

I'm with Lyle .. it's something you always see on the Nat Channel or Discovery and want to witnesses it first hand.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:28 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

I live near the great lakes...didn't notice a thing, darn it. Molly, perhaps you saw something up there?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:47 am  (#5) 
Global Moderator

No I didn't 2-ton. I go to bed too early.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:18 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Founder

We never get to see such things in my part of the world, just a few meteor showers on occasion.

I would love to take a trip to Alaska (in the summer) for a chance to see the Northern Lights. :hehe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:46 am  (#7) 
Global Moderator

My neighbors next door went to Iceland last year to see them around Christmas time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:08 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I just thought it was a cool looking Halloween image.Looks kind of spooky. :)
Something i have never seen either though i would love to.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:20 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I got lucky enough to catch these, sent a blast out to DA about them and a few others got to experience this as well.

Your pic Rod is much better than mine xD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:38 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

would be nice to see your pics, too, Willy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:38 pm  (#11) 
Former Member

This is pretty cool, and I missed it lol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:04 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

But my pics are grainy Red Lights in the sky xD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:05 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Would be interesting to see what you saw, since I saw nothing and I am only a couple miles from the Michigan line!