It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sorry I haven't been around
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:43 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Well I haven't been into GIMP as much as I was before so I stopped visiting here, (still do read from time to time), but today the family decided to buy a new printer the old one died.... so this new one is an Epson Workforce 630 (sounds fancy) so I go to set it up in 7 expecting it to be a breeze, and what happens Windows has this program labeled with some incompatibilities or some other load of junk :hehe . So I go onto my Desktop which runs Ubuntu google drivers for it, install them, load the printer up, connected to it through the network, hit print test page and boom it works.

Thanks 7 for being compatible with yourself so much.

from the adventures of Willy,
Willy.

Anyone have any tips for getting it going in 7? Still working with it now gonna try some weird websites drivers and hope it isn't 100mb worth of Virus :lol

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Sorry I haven't been around
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:05 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Willy,
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/supp ... atform=All

Do you use "gutenprint" for printing in ubuntu?
It installs a plugin for Gimp.
Good luck.
Gerard.

I use Linux only.
And Virtualbox with Win 7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:54 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Well done , Willy, (installing your printer through your network, I presume WiFi), on Ubuntu.
I have given up trying to install my Epson mp640 onto Ubuntu through my WiFi network.
It works for xp, vista, win 7 on 6 machines (64 bit and 32 bit) in the house through my network but not Ubuntu.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:56 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

I try lots of linux distros as liveusb and have never had any problem with connecting to printers. Windows, however, kept me at wit's end trying to install any. I'm now running ubuntu 11.10 with gnome shell and didn't have to install anything. Connected the printer and it was ready. And my printer is old, an hp deskjet that's about 5 years old. I even use a samsung laser printer and the OS detected and installed automatic.

Doesn't help, I know. But on the brighter side, I guess, I used to use Epson printers with Windows XP and the printers were always very good. Not to mention it was always easier to find cheaper off-brand ink in town for Epson than for the other brands. Many a picture did I print with an Epson.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:15 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I got it going on Windows

and I'm not using WiFi, what a surprise, but the printer won't recognise the network right... I used the right password like 4 times and it just won't connect.... So I had to hard-wire it in. No big deal, but it means it has to sit on my computer table... Right where the old printer sat, but oh well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:03 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Ok Willy, sorry I thought you also had it installed on Ubuntu, through a WiFi network as a client of your wireless modem. I have had no problems with Ubuntu in the past using Gutenprint to connect to printers via a cable.
My problem is trying to connect Ubuntu and my printer via my wireless modem. My printer is in another room.
All the family use the printer via the wireless modem, one Vista machine (my laptop) , my daughters Win 7 (x32), my son Win 7 (x32), my wife Win 7 (x64), My desktop, three partitions win7 (x64), Xp home sp2 (x32) , and Ubuntu. The Ubuntu partition is the only one that will not connect to the printer. I know it is my lack of knowledge of Linux , but really why is it so difficult to install?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:17 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Welcome back Willy. Good to hear from you again. Wanna borrow my computer brick? (I hate computers) :crash