It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Custom Shapes to GIMP
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:42 am  (#1) 
Global Moderator

This is a hit & miss sort of situation, but I thought for the sake of discussion and possible new information from other users, this might actually go somewhere.

I had been seeking ways to to convert Photoshop Custom Shapes to GIMP brushes/or possibly convert to paths without manually creating a new image file for conversion. I sort of found a work-around, but it has serious limitations: (128 x 128 file size which results in a compromise of quality when converted to a brush. Overall it works "Ok", but still not where I would like it to be.

You can download Preset Viewer Breeze (at Tumasoft) for a TRIAL period of 7 days (costs 25.00 for a license). Plus side, it does work on Macs and I have it running on Ubuntu via Adobe Air. If I am going to have to enlarge my shapes manually, I don't see the point in buying a license for the viewer. I thought I would throw this out there to others to see what, if any, processes you might use to create your shapes to brushes an "easy" way. This viewer can convert csh files to png, but the limitations, as stated above, are small 128 x 128 images, which are distorted in GIMP.

The wonderful thing is, there are literally TONS of custom shapes for Photoshop out there in the .csh file format. It would be awesome if somehow they could easily be converted for GIMP use.

Feel free to add your two cents, but remember Preset Viewer Breeze is only FREE for 7 days.

Converted 128 x 128 pngs from csh file:

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Custom Shapes to GIMP
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:25 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Hey Mahvin i have Preset Viewer 2.1 which is about the same for cost.I bought it a few years back.
Same company also...
Mine allows you to view in filmstrip mode which greatly increases the size.

Doesn't that new one allow that mode?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:36 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Not that I can tell. I take that back, there is a slider at the bottom that allows you to enlarge the thumbnails, but does your viewer allow you to convert at a larger size than 128 x 128?

Last edited by mahvin on Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:42 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

I am not even sure they still sell this version of the one i have.I looked at the website and it looks like yours is the newest version.I can not see why they wouldn't keep the filmstrip option.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:45 am  (#5) 
Global Moderator

Sweetness! It does allow you to increase to 512 x 512, I just figured out how. Ok, now I'll pay $25.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:58 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Cool.Yes mine allows to export as PNG/JPEG img at any res. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:05 am  (#7) 
Global Moderator

I don't see where I can make it any larger than 512, the slider only goes so far. Maybe I should read up on it more and see if the paid version allows more.

Q: What is the difference between v2.1 and Breeze?
A: A few items are different, most noteable are:
•organization features (virtual folders vs. keywords, keywording has been dropped)
•most formats display more accurately (dual brushes especially)
•compatability with some new preset files made in CS5
•ability to view installed fonts (only installed, I have not written complete font decoder yet)
•exporting files is to PNG only (for now)
•ability to drag files directly into Photoshop, and you can drag files into Breeze to view

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:09 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Could be.Mine also allows export of SHAPES/PNGS to ABR which Gimp can already read as brushes.
Yours should have that export option/setting also if it's a new version of 2.1.
At least i would assume they would keep that option, or make it better.