It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Conclusions
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:02 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I've come to conclusion(s) about Gimp Chat.

The first I really don't even have to speak about. But is the awesome level of guidance, help and knowledge here. Which pretty much sums up what this forum is all about.

The second is this is information overload here! OMG! There are just some many things that peek the interest that you can't try them all!

:gimp

This was IMHO! :)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Conclusions
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:11 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

I agree with you there MrBiggz.
I haven't even scratched the surface yet. I haven't tried half of the filters available yet.
Actually, I wonder if a person could learn the whole program in a lifetime.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:33 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I take the jack of all trades montra w.r.t. too all the cool features in GIMP (i.e., master of none, but fun to play). I still learn tricks with GIMP and I've been using GIMP over a decade. You newbies have no hope. lol

Just find a flow that you feel comfortable with and remember the ol' adage, there is more then one way to skin a cat. Same for GIMP. There are more then one way to get a simular/same result. Now have fun. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:56 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

I have used GIMP for close to a decade too, yet I don't even come close to using a fraction of its functionality in my paintings. It's interesting to see people here pushing GIMP to its limits with filters and all sorts of script wizardry to achieve interesting effects. Goes to show GIMP's flexibility and people's ingenuity. :)
Griatch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:07 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I agree with you all! Completely!

Griatch, that signature .. I had to watch it at least three time! That is funny!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:13 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

I agree this is an awesome place to learn about the Gimp program. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:36 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Founder

I think a lot of us are anxiously awaiting the arrival of GIMP 2.8.

Considering what's being done with V2.6.x & V2.7.x, I can't wait to see what Gimp Chat members can create with the new version. :yes

:gimp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:16 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I love the program and this website. I'm not really into the graphics as a hobby like y'all are. It's a necessity for me. I appreciate the time you all have taken with me and helping. I was thinking the other day I wish I could contribute more back to the community here but what can I tell y'all?

About Gimp in general, I think it's a prime example of what the computer world is suppose to be. Not these big publishers charging asinine prices for subscriptions to their software, extra if you want REAL support. Gimp like all other open source titles are driven by users passion. It's a great product!

And this is a great website, dont' know what I would be doing with out y'all!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:42 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Personally, I would like to lodge a formal complaint and this seems like the most logical place judging from all the comments.

I used to spend time playing with my dog and I also used to like to do a lot of cooking prior to landing on this site. Now I just sit for hours surfing the internet for new patterns or textures. My font folder is so bloated I had to move all the unusual/decorative/wierd ones to another folder on another hard drive. Last week I installed a program called GURM just to handle all the accululated stuff just to make sure I had it in case I needed it for some other dumb project in Gimp I was consumed with at the moment like these crumby cookies (pun intended)that took me a day and a half to figure out just exactly how to get the right look. The rest of the time, I'm trying to figure out how to do a particular operation differently, or following a new tutorial, or howto get something to work that I just downloaded and installed incorrectly.

I'm way behind on my yardwork and now it's winter already. I haven't done my Christmas shopping yet and I really should take a shower soon (maybe tomorrow, been 3 or 4 days ...can't remember) I need a shave and now my eyesight is starting to deteriorate from staring at the computer screen for 17 hours a day. My wife is threatening to leave me if I don't come out of this room and do something else. I really wish you people would go on vacation or something so poor ole Drac could catcha break. This !@#$%^&* program should have a warning atached!!!

Gimp Addict

PS Enjoy the cookies. I'll be in Scripts and Tutorials for a while.

Attachments:
Cookies.jpg
Cookies.jpg [ 252.01 KiB | Viewed 1448 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:24 pm  (#10) 
Script Coder

Draconian wrote:
Personally, I would like to lodge a formal complaint and this seems like the most logical place judging from all the comments.

I used to spend time playing with my dog and I also used to like to do a lot of cooking prior to landing on this site. Now I just sit for hours surfing the internet for new patterns or textures. My font folder is so bloated I had to move all the unusual/decorative/wierd ones to another folder on another hard drive. Last week I installed a program called GURM just to handle all the accululated stuff just to make sure I had it in case I needed it for some other dumb project in Gimp I was consumed with at the moment like these crumby cookies (pun intended)that took me a day and a half to figure out just exactly how to get the right look. The rest of the time, I'm trying to figure out how to do a particular operation differently, or following a new tutorial, or howto get something to work that I just downloaded and installed incorrectly.

I'm way behind on my yardwork and now it's winter already. I haven't done my Christmas shopping yet and I really should take a shower soon (maybe tomorrow, been 3 or 4 days ...can't remember) I need a shave and now my eyesight is starting to deteriorate from staring at the computer screen for 17 hours a day. My wife is threatening to leave me if I don't come out of this room and do something else. I really wish you people would go on vacation or something so poor ole Drac could catcha break. This !@#$%^&* program should have a warning atached!!!

Gimp Addict

I am sure you will miss her :rofl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:37 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Graechan wrote:
Draconian wrote:

Gimp Addict

I am sure you will miss her :rofl

ROTF!! :rofl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:43 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Agree; I spend way too much time tinkering with GIMP too and now I'm fat (uh,er, overweight). lol

Don't have a dog; my cat sometimes wants to sleep on my lap while I experiment though. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:07 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

LMAOROTF!!!!! Graetchen you are hilarious! I dunno.....she cooks almost as good as I do. LOL

Lyle - Yeah I' right there with you pardner...let's just not go there, OK?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:12 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Well I think I too am addicted, had many sessions protruding long into the night and early morning. :P At least I learn stuff, the longer I use it at once the better I find.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:26 pm  (#15) 
Retired Staff

What's really annoying is waking in the middle of the night with a GIMP idea running through my head and I can't ignore it and go back to sleep. Have to drag myself to the computer and give it a try right then.

One more night shot down.

Anyone have any instant recipes I can cook from my computer?