It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New version of VirtualBox broke my youtube playback ability.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:10 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Just installed the new VirtualBox late yesterday. Now, when I try to play a youtube video, all I get is sound. I don't think it would be an easy task to go back to the previous version of Virtualbox now. Haven't used Window's goback feature in years (Win7) but might give that a try (might do more harm then good though; lol). As a sidenote, Youtube videos still play well in Ubuntu VM. Anyway, just wanted to vent. :gaah
:)

Psalm 109:8

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: New version of VirtualBox broke my youtube playback ability.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:09 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Founder

Have you tried both http and https?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:58 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Haven't delved too much into this issue Tux. On the Now Playing thread, the video only has sound. When I go to YouTube, it's the same. Also, the VM takes a lot of resources though the 3 finger salute doesn't show this (i.e., my PC fan starts to get louder and PC runs sluggish). I tried all kinds of things too like add more virtual video RAM and also disabled Hardware acceleration (this actually made things worse; now no sound either and the fan really starts to chug; lol). Everything was bliss until I updated Virtualbox. Should have just left things alone. Won't be the first time weirdness happened when I updated VB. Oh well. I rarely view Flash videos anyway, so will just tolerate it and hope they fix the issue when someone else places a complaint (don't want to join the VB forum just to place a complaint). :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:08 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Went to an old recovery point that used 1.6 VBox extensions and all is well, so the problem was in the 1.8 VBox extensions. Needless to say, I won't install the 1.8 VBox extensions any time soon. The 1.6 VBox extensions appear to work fine. Happy again I am. Hope I didn't corrupt Win7 with the go back process. I tried to go back to normal and it wouldn't let me. Ended up just re-installing VBox 4.1.8 and all is well with Virtualbox (when I first went back to 4.1.6, both my Ubuntu and XP VMs would error out; didn't try my Win98 VM). Not sure why Win7 would allow me to undo my recovery and that bothers the bejinkins out of me, but will ignore that situation for now. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:31 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Lyle,

Is this problem happening on the host or the guest? I'm guessing the guest since I updated my vbox install and then cranked up virtual XP. I also updated my flash software and firefox was still on v7. I got all that up to date but seems the adobe plug-in keeps crashing on the guest.

Everything works as expected on the host.

This is very odd!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:43 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

It's the Guest as you are experiencing like I did MrBiggz. Sad that they broke VirtualBox just before Christmas. I've since found out it was 1.8 VBox extensions that's messed up. During the wacky process that I did above, I managed to get back the 1.6 extensions and 4.1.8 works fine otherwise. Note that the 1.8 extensions are fine for Ubuntu (at least for the one video that I viewed in Ubuntu). If you can, go back back to a set point that still used the 1.6 extensions and do all you Windows updates. Bet you your videos will play fine afterwards. Just don't re-install the 1.8 entensions for your XP VM (guest). Hate to say misery loves company, but I'm sort of happy it wasn't my PC. Hope the Virtualbox gurus create a fix for their 1.8 extensions soon. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:11 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

What exactly is virtual box Lyle?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:03 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

It's an opensource program that allows you to create virtual machines of various OSs such as Ubuntu and WinXP (and many more). It's opensource to boot (thougth things are getting a little dubious since Oracle took over). :)

https://www.virtualbox.org/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:57 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
It's an opensource program that allows you to create virtual machines of various OSs such as Ubuntu and WinXP (and many more). It's opensource to boot (thougth things are getting a little dubious since Oracle took over). :)

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Just a little?! :rofl :lol

The 2D graphic support worked way better then the 3D support .. *sigh*