It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: It's Pi Day again.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:20 pm  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

The reason you have to have the C++ library from Microsoft is to support multi-cpu stippling. Unfortunately, the Microsoft compiler doesn't let you integrate that file straight into your executable. Unfortunately, I think it is pretty difficult to include the necessary files with the program (it is certainly possible because some PortableApps applications depend on these dlls as well).

One way of achieving zWard117's goal might be to compile the program using GCC and recent work has enabled this (the reason why it works under linux now), but I personally do not want to switch compilers/maintain two versions. If somebody else would be willing to do it though...

Hope that helps,

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:14 am  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

Yup that fixed it at least for the sample mentioned. You sure are right when it comes to high count stipples; near instantaneous. I could always use the old version for small stipple counts (like using this cool tool for creating marbles; lots of help from Inkscape to do this) and new one for larger cound stipples (though it does take a few more seconds to open a 50K stipple in GIMP); I'm flexable. lol

Thanks a heap again. Miss the previewer as a pacifier, but again, I can live without it. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:15 am  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

Well, I was going to ask how hard it would be to create a tool like Perculator, but it could be proprietary. lol

:)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:32 am  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

Here's something I like creating witha 10K count stipple; even better with a 50K count stipple. lol

G'MIC Gradient Norm ran on the stippld output gives you this plant cells effect. :)

Attachments:
L10000408b.jpg
L10000408b.jpg [ 2.32 MiB | Viewed 1537 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:28 am  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

OK; not so tired now and re-read your comments. Definitely for small count stipples, lower the value of the -p switch (default 5; I lowered to 2) speed things up dramatically. Now I feel comfortable with changing out my desktop batch files with your new program Sahab (I know you said 1 which would indeed probably be faster, but 2 is good too at least for 5000 count stipple).

For the curious, below's what I use now as my batch file; just save and create a shortcut on your desktop then you can do drag and drop which will save the svg file where you initiated the drag and drop. :)

voronoi -t .3 -s 5000 -n -z 1.1 -p 2 -I %1 -O %1.svg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:46 pm  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

lol, it's a reptile plant!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:16 pm  (#27) 
GimpChat Member

Excellent Lyle.Here is one i ran with 30,000 dots. :)

It took longer to load in Inkscape than to create it. :lol
3 seconds in Voronoi.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:14 pm  (#28) 
GimpChat Member

Just don't have too much fun with it Rod; you need to sleep. lol

Sahib's fix is a keeper that is for sure. Glad he gave Adrian Secorde's algorithms new life since Secorde decided not to update (indeed he removed all evidence) his Imagemagick code since Imagemagick changed a few instruction sets apparently; like Sahib's code better anyway. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:56 am  (#29) 
GimpChat Member

I like this stippling thingy, but as embarrassing as it may be to expose my ignorance, I don't have a clue what you guys are talking about with all this tech jargon. Could someone provide a step by step procedure for installing everything I need to make this work for Windows XP-SP3? Rod, You're running the same system as me and it seems to work for you. Perhaps you could break this down into a Readers Digest version so goofs like me can understand it. What the heck is a C++ library anyway? Where does it go, etc., etc.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:10 pm  (#30) 
GimpChat Member

I only use XP for browsing Drac so maybe Rod can help you. I believe you have to have Visual Basic C++ DLL files installed on your computer though per the site instructions. Also, you can use the batch file that I explained earlier and then create a short-cut to it on your desktop so you can then drag PNG (only PNG) files onto the shortcut to create the resulting SVG file. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:17 pm  (#31) 
Global Moderator

I really like that one Rod.