It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I fixed my flannel shirt
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:22 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Do you suppose this patch will ever fall off? :)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: I fixed my flannel shirt
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:31 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

You really sowed that patch on tight Rod. lol

:)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:35 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Cool, would look a little more realistic if you bump mapped the flannel section to the R layer, that way it looks like the R has some weight on the shirt, but I love that flannel color though.

"In the face of adversity, there's three things: fly, freeze or fight; We're choosing to fight..."- Guy Boucher, Tampa Bay Lighting Head Coach

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:58 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

This a little better? :)
I gave it a gradient overlay and some displacement with a shadow to give it a little more depth.
I also did a alpha to selection on the stitching and deleted it from the flannel shirt area to give it a look as if the thread is actually going into a hole.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:10 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Ya, see how the shirt lines look like they are angling down (as if the patch has weight, and gravity applies), looks really good either way! Nice Job Rod!

"In the face of adversity, there's three things: fly, freeze or fight; We're choosing to fight..."- Guy Boucher, Tampa Bay Lighting Head Coach

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:55 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Perfect patch !

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:58 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Beautimus!

Just had a thought (I know it's in a strange place so I'll treat it gently) Make the stitch into a cross and marry it with something like the Viaroni Stipple to produce a cross-stitch image that looks like it was sewn into the fabric with a little bump/shadow effect like you did here. Between you and Lyle, I know you guys will come up with something that might actually become a really cool "cross-stitch" filter.

Here's the cross-stitch brush

Whenever I stroke a text path it always gives me like an outline stroke or doubles up, even if I mke it 1 pixel. What' up with that?

Attachments:
Cross-Stitch.jpg
Cross-Stitch.jpg [ 129.67 KiB | Viewed 1988 times ]
Cross-Stitch.gih [39.22 KiB]
Downloaded 95 times

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:31 pm  (#8) 
Script Coder

Draconian wrote:
Whenever I stroke a text path it always gives me like an outline stroke or doubles up, even if I mke it 1 pixel. What' up with that?

Cause they are closed stroke paths (i.e. outlines) not single stroke paths. There was a thread on those types of fonts here, I believe they were called "engraving fonts"

-Rob A>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:55 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Founder

Nice work, Rod. Looks great!

That kind of stitching might also be useful to some of the members here who make medals. I guess the medal would have to be large enough to see the stitching, but it could make some of the embroidery and bordering more realistic.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:45 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

RobA wrote:
Draconian wrote:

Cause they are closed stroke paths (i.e. outlines) not single stroke paths. There was a thread on those types of fonts here, I believe they were called "engraving fonts"

-Rob A>

Interesting. Not being a real path guru, I wouldn't know closed path from an open one if it bit me. In fact I don't even know what that means. I gather that is what Ofnut's scripts are for is to somehow alter these paths for various effects. I would like to explore this a bit more. I downloaded a couple of his scripts plus the one Rod mentioned recently but I don't know where they show up and can't find 'em.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:28 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
I gather that is what Ofnut's scripts are for is to somehow alter these paths for various effects. I would like to explore this a bit more. I downloaded a couple of his scripts plus the one Rod mentioned recently but I don't know where they show up and can't find 'em.

Most of Ofnuts path tools are listed after right clicking an existing path layer. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:41 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Try using your cross stitch image hose on a selection instead at 55 or more (75) for spacing. :)

XCF attached also
Attachment:
CrossStitch_RD.xcf [912.39 KiB]
Downloaded 68 times

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:57 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Here is your GIH at a spacing of 75 with various shapes.It still doubles up a little bit but i think it adds to the realism of real stitches myself. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:40 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the info on the path scripts Rod. I'll try it this afternoon. I was already playing around with the spacing like you suggested. The technique you used does look a lot better and as far as the doubling up, I guess you could manually erase unwanted areas or otherwise tweak the result.

What I also wanted to try and do was take a picture and use some of Lyle's methods for making it look like the whole image was made with cross-stiching and not just the border. Not sure what method to use.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:30 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

I would go with grids or patterns.
There is a script "Stitch-Art", that takes an image and creates sort of a stitch grid.That might work for you. :)
http://registry.gimp.org/node/24421 (VERY CPU intensive!)

This is the way i would do it...
Open the image
Use the color picker to select the exact colors in the image
Create different pat files for each color consisting of a stitch pattern IN that color
Use each different color pat file to fill in each color on a separate layer (use color select tool)
That would be the easiest way i think. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:02 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

This one has been running for 15 minutes and isn't even half done yet (using the stitchart filter) :)

This is a small image too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:19 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

I tried this website and got these results.
http://www.myphotostitch.com/Make_Patte ... ttern.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:21 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Now i know why the script took so long ...geesh!