It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moving text (without GAP)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:16 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

This was done without GAP as I am not too good with it yet.
Hello GIMPers!

Today I will show you how to make a simple moving text animation.
It is simplified if you download this script here and install it into your GIMP scripts folder.

Steps

Create a new image I used a 640x128 size canvas.

Create a background for it I used a simple one and just filled the left and right sides with black.

Make your text layer and center it roughly to achieve the same result as me or you could have it coming in from the far left.
Now this is the animation going to start. Duplicate your text layer.
On the duplicated layer using the move tool move it slightly to the right. I moved it 20 clicks (click= a press of right arrow key). You can move it more each time but the less you move it the smoother the animation will be.
Continue moving and duplicating the last text layer until the text goes off the canvas.
Now if you installed the script I linked at the start go to filter>animation>combine background.

If you didn't install the script, duplicate your background layer and place a copy under each text layer. Then select any of the text layers right click and merge layers. Do this to each text layer until each text layer now has a background on it as well (see it is simpler with the script).

Then just delete the original background layer. (Right click then delete layer).

Now that is you done just go to file>save then type whatever you want to call it followed by .gif (very important).
Make sure the save settings are as follows

You can slow it down by increasing the delay between frames from 100 to whatever you want but keep it below 500 or it will look very jumpy.
Or you could duplicate the layer with the text in the center so it can be read easier.

Hope you enjoyed learning how to make a simple moving text animation, this technique can be used for moving just about anything smoothly. It doesn't just have to be side to side you can do it going up diagonally anything you want.

You could take this further by having another text before the bye saying hi coming in from the right stopping at center then it changes to bye.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Moving text (without GAP)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:32 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Hi, there!

I just joined this site today because I was looking for a tutorial on how to make animated scrolling text. I never could get the tutorial by someone named ccbar to open and couldn't find the GAP script thing. I'm new to GIMP and not real familiar with scripts and plugins. I ended up figuring a much longer way to do it on my own. Anyway, I made my image this morning and found your tutorial tonight. Your method is very similar to what I figured out.

Here is my button I was making for an item in a forum shop:

It has a lot of layers (more than necessary, I'm sure), but I moved the text on each layer 5 pixels to the right. Rather than manually move each text layer by using the right arrow key as you did, I used Layer>Transform>Offset (Shift+Ctrl+O), set X Offset to 5, and used the Wrap Around edge behavior option so that it would continuously scroll through--so that the end of my phrase would start through the image before the beginning went through all the way. Basically, my prase is continually following itself.

My text was scrolling the wrong direction the first time, so I reversed the order of the layers by clicking Layer>Stack>Reverse Layer Order.

Anyway, a slightly different way to make text scroll without using GAP. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:31 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

For anyone interested in installing GAP veiw topic on GAP here by Rod

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:21 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Graechan wrote:
For anyone interested in installing GAP veiw topic on GAP here by Rod

Thanks! :jumpclap

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:31 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the tut Jamie990. Welcome to Gimp Chat Phydeaux. :welcome