It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animations: Merge Layer Underneath another
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:02 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.6.11
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Vista
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

I thought I was doing this right but it turns out not so.

I am trying to merge the TEXT Frame beneath/under the IMAGE frame. So I place the visible IMAGE Frame above the visible TEXT Frame and merge from the IMAGE Frame. Not work properly. The image does not slide open properly and some text appears over the image Frame. You can see best in Gimp. All Frames have alpha channel. Could someone please explain what I am doing wrong and how to get the TEXT Frame under the IMAGE Frame completely?

MY EDITED VERSION: I have removed the text and added my own text.
I did frames 30,and 35-45 with TEXT Frames underneath.(Notice 44 is the worst frame)(The end/beginning frames are a mess because they are spare frames that overlap:ignore).

Please and thankyou!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Animations: Merge Layer Underneath another
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:17 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I've had a look in Gimp, Barbie and I can't work it out. Looks like a couple of frames need deleting where the rose sticks. Is the text supposed to flash?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:39 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

The text needs to be behind every layer. :)
So it never moves.I would just merge the text layer with all the curtain (i think its a curtain) layers.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:15 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
The text needs to be behind every layer. :)
So it never moves.I would just merge the text layer with all the curtain (i think its a curtain) layers.

Thanks for response. Okay so I did every layer (from 3-88) (last layer is spare Text layer and flashes-ignore) merging the TEXT Layer underneath the FLOWER CURTAIN Layer.
And it looks a mess. The FLOWER CURTAIN Layer is just stretching across instead of opening. What is going on?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:23 pm  (#5) 
Global Moderator

I don't think it can be fixed in this state, maybe I am wrong, (probably am).
Anyway to put a text layer under every curtain layer would make sense then merge each text and each flower layer all the way down.
I think now that it has already been animated, it would be impossible to do that because you have partial text in these layers already. There is no back button to undo the animation.

BTW, that would sure be nice if that could be done in the next version of Gimp, like in Gimp-2.8.1 :teeth

I think I am asking for the moon huh? :bow

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:30 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Oops ya I see the extra TEXT Layer in the middle now thanks Erisian. Removed that one in here:

And I forgot... I started out doing the FLOWER CURTAIN Layer merged on top of the TEXT Layer for the Layers 54-87 where it wasn't necessary for them to be underneath. Don't know if that is part of the problem.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:41 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
I don't think it can be fixed in this state, maybe I am wrong, (probably am).
Anyway to put a text layer under every curtain layer would make sense then merge each text and each flower layer all the way down.
I think now that it has already been animated, it would be impossible to do that because you have partial text in these layers already. There is no back button to undo the animation.
:bow

Thanks for the response Molly.
But if you look at each frame one by one they look okay. So I don't really see why I can't do something to fix it. I will start all over again but don't want to go through all that again just to get the same messy results.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:46 pm  (#8) 
Global Moderator

I hope you can cuz I would be interested to know too.
We do have a couple of really great animation experts in this forum but sad to say they haven't been on line for months. ccbarr is a great animator and has done some fantastic tutorials with and without Gap.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:58 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Are you using replace instead of combine on the layers?
It looks like some of the layers are staying there while the rest play. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:58 am  (#10) 
Global Moderator

I tried it with replace Rod, I slowed it down to 200 and it still jumps. I removed a couple layers and that didn't fix it either.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:53 am  (#11) 
Script Coder

Barbie wrote:

This image is basically what you want, merely delete the "Frame 86" layer and make sure that all layers are set to "replace" mode (here is a Script-fu that simplifies changing the frame disposal mode of an animated GIF).

Attachment:
rose-curtain.gif
rose-curtain.gif [ 672.14 KiB | Viewed 2053 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:09 am  (#12) 
Global Moderator

Gosh, I tried that and it didn't work for me Saul. I removed layer 86, went to your script and changed to replace and it still does the same thing.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:43 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks everyone. I changed all the Layers to Replace (manually) (as hinted by Rod thankyou very much) and removed Layer 87 (it was just a text layer spare so I was planning on doing that anyways). I also needed to remove layer 44... must have done something wrong with it so I just deleted it and it is fine without it. Now I'm thinking I should also make the Flower slide Close after sliding open...

I already have the excellent script of yours Saulegoode for Timer Change thankyou very much. I forgot all about the Keep/Replace/Combine. I tested it with this Flower animation and it worked perfectly. Wow that is so emorously helpful. Not sure Molly why you are having problems. And of course so immensely helpful with the timer feature which I use so often (because most of what I do in Gimp is editing animations). Thankyou so much for that precious script Saulegoode.

#1 But is it possible to please also add a button on there for Delete all for all visible layers. I wanted to cut down from the 87 Layers to about 10 to just test and deleting all those 77 layers one at a time (even though there is the delete trashcan icon) it was still a lot of clicking and the panel jumps after each delete. There are other circumstances that I delete many frames.
#2 And another button that will Duplicate several times. Because I had to Duplicate the Text layer 85 times to Merge with each frame. So many clicks.

If not... then I can make the request in the Script Request Category. Thanks.

Last edited by Barbie on Mon May 28, 2012 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:16 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

there is a delete linked layers script
used to be able to hold the shift key and click on the link and link/unlink all but that doesn't work in 2.8, at least not on mine
so you'll still have to click each layers link

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:20 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

alc59 wrote:
there is a delete linked layers script
used to be able to hold the shift key and click on the link and link/unlink all but that doesn't work in 2.8, at least not on mine
so you'll still have to click each layers link

Ohhhhh goodie! I'm still on 2.6 yay! And it's a script-fu... great!
I will test it later. Thankyou so much for informing me of it alc59!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:47 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

You can try this too Barbie.It does many things to layers. :)
http://registry.gimp.org/node/16563

My link or unlink with shift works the same...links one layer.
Maybe this can be fixed in Edit>Shortcut Keys?
I checked and the only thing that can have a shortcut is PATH links it seems. :\

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:01 pm  (#17) 
Script Coder

Barbie wrote:
#1 But is it possible to please also add a button on there for Delete all for all visible layers.

I usually just merge the visible layers and then delete the resulting layer.

Barbie wrote:
#2 And another button that will Duplicate several times. Because I had to Duplicate the Text layer 85 times to Merge with each frame. So many clicks.

The following script doesn't do precisely that, but it does make the process of inserting text into animations easier:

http://chiselapp.com/user/saulgoode/rep ... combine-bg

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:05 pm  (#18) 
Global Moderator

Combine background is my favourite script for animations. It sure does save a lot of manual work.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:30 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

It sure does.That one and overlay bg are built into the same script aren't they?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:53 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

saulgoode wrote:
Barbie wrote:
#1 But is it possible to please also add a button on there for Delete all for all visible layers.

I usually just merge the visible layers and then delete the resulting layer.

● Why didn't I think of that? Perfect solution thankyou saulgoode. :D
● I already have that script combine-bg thankyou so much for writing it saulgoode. :D But I haven't explored it much yet but must soon. I'm a beginner.

Thanks for the script link Rod. :D It does a lot. Will try later.

Uh... when I make merges and changes in animation... the Frame number changes.
And the number doesn't match in "Play Animations". With 90 Frames it's difficult and as a beginner I get confused so I have to "Save As" and re-open to get them numbered correctly sequentially.

Is there a way... a button click or menuitem click to get all frames re-numbered sequentially. That would really help a lot.

When I make a slight Layer change I need to view it with "Play Animations" to see how it will look (checking timing changes or if using transparent background need to see if all dots are erased etc.). But I need to Close and then re-open the "Play Animations" to visualize the new changes each time. I use Keyboard shortcuts (customized) which helps but everytime I re-open it, it sets at the topleft corner of the screen. So I have to click close,re-open, then Slide/Move the "Play Animations" window over to the center so that I can view it closer (needed when dealing with tiny animations). It's a hassel. Is there script for a "Refresh Button" in the "Play Animations"? That would really help.
Thanks!