It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sudsy's GIMP Art...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:04 pm  (#1) 

Going back to 2008 with 2.4ish...

I got my Wacom Tablet in early '08 and have been having a blast since (okay, for a while there was a lot of frustration trying to get the Wacom to work with Ubuntu 8.04... So I used Windows XP, then there was trouble getting the tablet to work with X11 on Mac... So I stuck to Windows for a bit... Then I found out how to configure X11 to use my tablet and so today most of my stuff is don in OSX).

Being a USAF veteran, I love my A-10 Warthogs:
This was my best back in '08 and '09. Nothing but default brushes, and bunch of layers. No layer mode modifications or anything else like that...

Some of my early work doing some Concept Art Daily Sketch Group subjects (another great forum for artists...):

I'll have to dig up some more recent work using 2.6, and get around to doing some stuff with 2.8! Needless to say, learning the layer modes, and custom brushes (thanks especially to the folks who worked on the GPS!) things have only improved!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Sudsy's GIMP Art...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:08 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

You are an incredible artist Sudsy. I use GPS as well and I wouldn't be without it now. Ramon did a really good job of creating those brushes. I love your planes!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:13 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Beautiful work Sudsy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:52 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Ahh... we have another great artist on board here. I love this one the best! I love airplanes/jets. I started taking flying lessens (ground school) when I was 16 but couldn't afford to carry on so I switched to skydiving... wow that was fun.

I love this too. Cartoon strip style.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:12 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Really great work. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:19 pm  (#6) 

Barbie, I like to be INSIDE the airplane at all times... Though I can't say that jumping out of planes didn't appeal to me for a bit (I even went to Airborne School... Can't say I'm sad I busted my knee and didn't finish... But thats another story for another thread...)! Thanks for the compliments about the art, sad to say I don't think I'm a great artist, not yet at any rate. I've got a lot of fundamentals to conquer first!

Here are some of my entries done using GIMP 2.6.11 and 2.6.12 on Mac OS 10.7. These were for Concept Art's Panels of the Week Challenge #55, the subject was Vikings and Zombies, or Zombies pre-1900. I went with the pre-1900 Zombies... My workflow was directly lifted from Freddie Williams II in his book "The DC Guide to Digitally Drawing Comics" which is a FANTASTIC book for anyone interested in using the GIMP (even though it was written for Photoshop) for drawing comic book style work. My only gripe, which is solved in GIMP 2.8, is lack of layer folders. Believe me, I'M HAPPY ABOUT LAYER GROUPS! This was a bit of a challenge to keep my pages organized and my layers right... You have a page, then panels, then at least three to four layers PER panel with an average of three to four panels per page, then there is text and text ballons, gutters and panel borders... Effects...

Some content is violent in a cartoon zombie apocalypse sorta way... Be warned!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:11 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

I think your work is really good but because you said you've got a lot of fundamentals to conquer, I wondered if this is any use to you. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4308 I've downloaded a photo of an A-10 Warthog and looking at it, I think it's going to be a challenge to simplify it but I'm going to give it a go.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:04 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Love the A-10 Warthog. One of my favorite planes to see in combat.

"In the face of adversity, there's three things: fly, freeze or fight; We're choosing to fight..."- Guy Boucher, Tampa Bay Lighting Head Coach

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:16 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Great work! That's some interesting perspective on the jumper (#4).

I see quite a few planes like these flying overhead from Seymour Johnson AFB.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:25 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Excellent Sudzie. More folk now that will make more jealous (no talent at all with me). lol

:)

Psalm 109:8