It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Script Request
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:02 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Could someone take on this request and create a script for stroking concentric circles for a pattern like we were discussing here: viewtopic.php?f=11&p=56545.

bkh1914 came up with the perfect solution towards the bottom of the page, but not everybody (including me) is a math geneious. It would be wonderful if this was made into a script, or python script, or even better, perhaps this could be made a part of G'MIC under Patterns or Arrays. I would think that having a preview window like G'MIC uses would be a must for this. Using different shapes would be cool as well as the current brush parameters.

I can't believe someone has not done this already.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Script Request
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:18 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Keep Resize Script - This is a 640x400 image scaled 10 times down to 25 using width.
http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1450#p17702
Just create a circle with the path tool and copy it as many times as you need using script. :)

Thanks Rob A!

Also Robs Mosaic Tile Helper script will work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:38 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Looks like Droste in GMIC will also work. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:11 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
Looks like Droste in GMIC will also work. :)

I thought that was just for 2.8? I didn't see anything in those two that had anything to do with setting up the stroke to be incremental. The concentric circles or paths are the easy part, it's the math par that nneds to be incorporated unless I missed something.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:46 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I tried several different methods trying to use this Step-Resize script.

Made a selection, selection to path, Select>None, selected the layer and invoked the script. I watched it as it made each incremental resizing but when it was finished I only had one tiny layer.

I tried to alpha select the image on both an alpha layer and a background layer, same thing both times. What am I missing? I used the exact same settings as you did.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:59 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

You didn't stroke the path, and you need to do that first so that the scm has a layer to copy from. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:43 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

OOOOOOOH yes I did (just didn't list it) same thing....one tiny circle on one tiny canvas.

First time I stroked the path I invoked the script with the path selected, then with the layer selected and both times...........same thing.

This isn't another one of those 2.8 things is it? I'm staying with 2.6 till they get everything fixed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:58 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

With G'MIC, you can do the following :

- Create an empty (blank) image.
- Draw a single pixel (in black) at the center.
- Run G'MIC / Contours / Edges offset :

If you want smoother isophotes, do it on a twice bigger image, then reduce the image size.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:00 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Draconian wrote:
OOOOOOOH yes I did (just didn't list it) same thing....one tiny circle on one tiny canvas.

First time I stroked the path I invoked the script with the path selected, then with the layer selected and both times...........same thing.

This isn't another one of those 2.8 things is it? I'm staying with 2.6 till they get everything fixed.

No this script actually was a 2.6.12 scm file and it runs fine in Gimp-2.8.
You have the wrong script sir.You have resize in steps.
You need the resize KEEPING the steps.
Download it from here - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1450&hilit=stair+and+resize#p17702

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:19 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Rod, My bad. I'm used to folks correcting the first one in the thread and since I never red the whole thread, I just copied the first one. I'll try it out again as soon as I get my GMIC fixed.

Quit calling me sir! I already feel old. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:22 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Ronounours wrote:
With G'MIC, you can do the following :

- Create an empty (blank) image.
- Draw a single pixel (in black) at the center.
- Run G'MIC / Contours / Edges offset :

If you want smoother isophotes, do it on a twice bigger image, then reduce the image size.

Thanks David, I didn't know you could do that. I'm sure there are a lot of other things I have yet to discover with GMIC as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:00 am  (#12) 
Script Coder

Rod wrote:
Also Robs Mosaic Tile Helper script will work.

That's the one I was going to suggest, but I see it was already mentioned. It was specifically designed to created evenly spaced circular paths for stroking.

Thanks Rod!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:13 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the input Rob but I think you guys are missing the point altogether. Making the concentric circles is not the issue, the math and the stroke are the issue. I'm looking for a script that

1. Makes the concentric circles (maybe calls another script into play to do it)
2. Does the math to set up the placement of the stroke (spacing to make patterns and arrays)
3. Makes the stroke based on input parameters and brush selection.

or

At least perform 2 & 3 after you have used one of the other methods for creating the concentric circles. Just want a way to automate the whole process without having to
take a course in trigonometry or something to figure it out each time. LOL

Making patterns is simple really, until you get to the radial application. If you make a line of dots/circles whatever, then use Copy-Rotate you get this after erasing a few overlaps near the center.

but to get a concentric radial hex pattern requires the math that bkh provided. I dunno what the numerical representation is, or how amny decimal places that I need to use for pi anyway, but if the process is "simple" like bkh says, (no sarcasm intended) why can't someone automate this entire process to produce this...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:39 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Draconian:
So what do you really want?
A) A simple script that will make concentric circles of dots.
B) A fancy script that will make rings using any brush/shape (and wash the dishes).

Option A is fairly straightforward. Option B is not.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:39 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

I was just going suggest Robs script again but stroke the paths with a brush set to a preferred spacing.
But now i am not so sure what you need. :lol
I don't do dishes..well i do at home but not here. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:55 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

bkh1914 wrote:
Draconian:
So what do you really want?
A) A simple script that will make concentric circles of dots.
B) A fancy script that will make rings using any brush/shape (and wash the dishes).

Option A is fairly straightforward. Option B is not.

My wife usually does the dishes so we can eliminate that part right away. :hehe

When you stroke a path, the dialog gives you an option of a line or a brush. If you select brush, it picks up whatever brush you have your Brush tool set to at the moment so the scrip calls for that particular brush in that manner. No problem. (and it doesn't have to mop the floor) If a script can be set up to make concentric circles (Script A) and another one to Stroke the path (Script B) why can't we create another one to set up the math required to make the pattern AND use a combination of script A & B? Each stroke for each concentric path requires that simple formula that could be built into the new script.

To make a short story even longer......a script to make the pattern of dots like the bottom image in my post above. If possible, maybe even different patterns based on different math. Call the new script Pattern Stroke.scm or .py or whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:40 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

I should have something within a couple of days... Unless someone else wants to do it.
(I'm low on energy right now.)

Stroking the path doesn't always work if you want the points equally spaced around the circle.

Painting the individual points should work...

But I still need ideas for how to make it take out the trash. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:29 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

:rofl I think you may need to get away from the computer for a while, or at least Gimp. I think you are becoming domesticated. :rofl :rofl

I ended up using a vertical line and then the Copy-Rotate script to set up several layers with lines/guides at different degree settings and then manually placing the dots at the intersections of the radial line/guides and the concentric circles. Pain in the A.. but it works for now anyway. Anything you can come up with will be greatly appreciated. Who knows, it may lead to something even better.

The illustration you used above looks as if the rectangles need to rotate as they are stroked so the spacing looks better, but that's in the brush setup correct?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:02 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

Draconian wrote:
:rofl I think you may need to get away from the computer for a while, or at least Gimp. I think you are becoming domesticated. :rofl :rofl

Good advice. I think I'll take a walk through the woods and pick some wild black raspberries today. We've been rather dry so the berries are small but they are very flavorful.

Draconian wrote:
The illustration you used above looks as if the rectangles need to rotate as they are stroked so the spacing looks better, but that's in the brush setup correct?

The issue I was trying to illustrate is that there are problems with a rectangular brush - any brush that whose width and height are different.

I'm still on GIMP 2.6.12, and rotating requires an animated brush (.gih). That would fix the spacing issues since the width and height of the animated brush would be the same.

I also had an issue with the brush size and had to scale it to get the spacing right - the maximum spacing is 200%, which is too small for small brushes. (I'm not sure about the spacing through Script-Fu since the documentation on the call isn't doesn't say what the units of measure are and I haven't tested it yet.)

I could stamp the brush and then copy and rotate the layer - which is what you did manually. That solves the spacing and rotation issues. It's a little more time consuming. A minor disadvantage is that it will lead to some fuzziness. Another drawback of that is if you are using an animated brush, you'd only get the first layer.

Like I said, it is a more complex problem. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:17 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
I could stamp the brush and then copy and rotate the layer - which is what you did manually. That solves the spacing and rotation issues. It's a little more time consuming. A minor disadvantage is that it will lead to some fuzziness. Another drawback of that is if you are using an animated brush, you'd only get the first layer.

But it won't be fuzzy if you copy and rotate the ORIGINAL layer or stamp. :)