It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cage tool
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:58 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8 Partha's MacGimp
Operating System: Mac OS
OS Version:Snow Leopard
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Does anyone have some good hints for the 2.8 cage tool? I got it to do what I wanted once, then after that I could not. It didn't break gimp, I just can't really figure out how to get it to change the shape of my selection.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Cage tool
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:30 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Hi 2-ton. The cage tool is still a big mystery to me too. :)

BUT!

The trick is to get the nodes around the image how you want them first.
Then once you have them all connected you can select around 2 or more to move 2 or more at once, or you can move one at a time. The nodes that change to squares are the ones that will move together.

I do not use it much.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:38 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

what is weird is that the first time I tried it, it worked great, but then after that it wouldn't work again, it didn't make any changes. I'll just play with it some more, and see if I am missing something obvious!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:51 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Make sure you are using it on the right layer and select enter when you are ready to commit the transform change. :)
Also make sure your cage nodes are way outside your image area or it will tear it in places.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:29 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

So is the sequence to make the cage, hit enter, then move the points where you want the selected image to change shape? Or do you make the cage, then move the nodes, and then click enter? If so, then shouldn't the image morph as you pull the nodes?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:40 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

To be honest, the cage tool has been a disappointment to me. It never works the way I want or expect it to. The old Paint shop Pro was lousy but had a really good cage tool. I was hoping the Gimp version would be as good, maybe over time they'll get it fine tuned.

Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:53 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Gms9810 wrote:
To be honest, the cage tool has been a disappointment to me. It never works the way I want or expect it to. The old Paint shop Pro was lousy but had a really good cage tool. I was hoping the Gimp version would be as good, maybe over time they'll get it fine tuned.

I agree with this. I suspect that most users expect the cage tool just to push the image around, lots of times it just breaks it.

A comparison between a 5 MB java application ( limited but good for netbooks) which works and Gimp.

Has me puzzled.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:36 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

2-ton wrote:
So is the sequence to make the cage, hit enter, then move the points where you want the selected image to change shape? Or do you make the cage, then move the nodes, and then click enter? If so, then shouldn't the image morph as you pull the nodes?

You would want to create the cage first, then move your nodes around to transform the image, and lastly select enter or return on your keyboard 2-ton. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:34 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Gms9810 wrote:

Likewise. I would love Gimp to have a tool like PS where you draw a rectangular selection and warp the grid.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:38 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:38 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

great tutorial...thanks for posting! Now I think I understand and can give it another try!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:31 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:

I agree with this. I suspect that most users expect the cage tool just to push the image around, lots of times it just breaks it.

A comparison between a 5 MB java application ( limited but good for netbooks) which works and Gimp.

Has me puzzled.

Hi Rich2005

Where can I find this java application that you mentioned?

Alan