It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help - may be simple..
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:34 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.6.11
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: XP - SP3
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Alright! So I LOVE Gimp.. I do all of the graphic design for my church, and have just started using it. WOW hahaha it's awesome!!

Anyways - I'm trying to sort of texture some text:
Normally, I have two layers, the base picture then the texture. I set the texture layer to "overlay" and voila! I have a picture with a cool looking texture.

But - I'm trying to do this to TEXT. I don't want to take away from the text, like selecting part of the texture and applying a selection layer mask, I just want to have an overlaid look. But whenever I try to overlay the texture over my text, it doesn't do anything!! It just shows the text.

This is probably a simple problem, but I would REALLY appreciate any help on this!
Looking forward to a reply!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Help - may be simple..
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:02 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I don't quite understand your problem but I would be tempted to use a grain merge layer mode for the texture. If you right click the text layer, choose "add alpha channel" select your texture layer, choose selection/invert then edit/cut (or ctrl X) it will remove the texture from everywhere except the text.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:12 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

clanderson wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.6.11
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: XP - SP3
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Alright! So I LOVE Gimp.. I do all of the graphic design for my church, and have just started using it. WOW hahaha it's awesome!!

Anyways - I'm trying to sort of texture some text:
Normally, I have two layers, the base picture then the texture. I set the texture layer to "overlay" and voila! I have a picture with a cool looking texture.

But - I'm trying to do this to TEXT. I don't want to take away from the text, like selecting part of the texture and applying a selection layer mask, I just want to have an overlaid look. But whenever I try to overlay the texture over my text, it doesn't do anything!! It just shows the text.

This is probably a simple problem, but I would REALLY appreciate any help on this!
Looking forward to a reply!

Modes such as overlay don't produce much effects at some ends of the spectrum. What is the color of your text?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:46 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Ok. Here is the background I'm doing - I added a layer of a picture of water droplets, and changed the mode to overlay. This gave a nice, simple wet foreground look. I'd like to do the same sort of thing, but to the text. It's not that simple I spose.

Here is the image:

And thank you guys for your prompt responses!
MAN I wanna learn GIMP!!

PS. How do I change my system specs/GIMP version as stated in OP? Info is not correct

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:07 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

layermodes are tricky, maybe you wanna have a look at these two links:

http://iffles.com/2009/10/29/layer-blen ... s-in-gimp/

http://emptyeasel.com/2008/10/31/explai ... ay-screen/

of course there is also the GIMP manual, explaining the mathematical details behind layermodes

http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-concepts-layer-modes.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:01 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

clanderson wrote:
Ok. Here is the background I'm doing - I added a layer of a picture of water droplets, and changed the mode to overlay. This gave a nice, simple wet foreground look. I'd like to do the same sort of thing, but to the text. It's not that simple I spose.

Here is the image:

And thank you guys for your prompt responses!
MAN I wanna learn GIMP!!

PS. How do I change my system specs/GIMP version as stated in OP? Info is not correct

Your text needs to be gray as overlay won't work on black or white backgrounds. If you don't want it gray, use multiply rather than overlay.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:06 pm  (#7) 
Global Moderator

If you still have your layers, try duplicating your text and experiment with the modes on your top layer. You could also select your text and bevel it and that could be very effective or use a pattern to make your text as Erisian mentioned. The choices are endless with all the filters and plug-ins we have in Gimp. There a several texture scripts here also

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:31 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

maybe this script might be useful for what you want to do ?

http://gimpscripts.com/2012/02/water-drop-text/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:34 pm  (#9) 
Global Moderator

Yes that is a good script, I have it. I also did that same method long hand with a tutorial.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:50 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

The text layer is basically a template that you use for whatever text effect you are going for and may or may not even be used in the final result. Several options are available at the very begining. You may elect to right click and choose alpha to selection and then Text to Path to get a sort of semi-permanent text template. That way if you screw up what you are doing you always have the path you can use to start over. The path also gives you better control over other aspects but let's stay with some basic functions.

Let's say all you were doing is the text layer. Erisian is right, you need to use some kind of color or at least a gray to give your texture layer something to lay on top of in whichever Mode you choose. Hence the word "Overlay". You are basically doing the same thing with the other layer modes just getting different results. Make a texture layer, then "cut out" everything except outside the Alpha Selected Text like explained above. Now you have the textured text that can be applied over your base text layer with whatever mode you like. Other effects can be applied either before or after the texture to acheive even more results. We can talk about this all dsay long but in the end you need to do at least one of the text effect tutorials on this site or others to get a handle on how to do text effects. It has been my experience that Text Effects are quite possibly the one subject that is universally interesting to most of the GIMP community and never fails to get numerous responses whenever someone posts a new effect. Hope all our answers didn't confuse you too much and we actually helped. Do some tuts and by all means, have fun!

Last edited by Draconian on Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:59 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Drac's right. Ignore my comment about multiply - it will look the same as in normal mode on white text.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:05 pm  (#12) 
Global Moderator

I guess I had better mention some more ways of doing text since we haven't run out of ideas yet. In Gimp, go to File-->Create Logos, there is a list there as long as both legs of filters you can use for text. Some really beautiful ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:07 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Good call Molly. Probably the easiest way to do text effects until you have a chance to learn how to do it from scratch.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:12 pm  (#14) 
Global Moderator

Thats why we have lots of text and audio tutes in our tutorial section. It is endless. :teeth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:12 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Maybe you would get better results with a bump map. You would do this by filters/map/bump map. It can also be done via filters/light and shadow/lighting effects but a plain bump map should serve your purpose.

Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:32 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Wow guys, thank you for all of the ideas!! I'll start trying some of those ASAP!! Thanks for being encouraging to a novice!

I find tutorials a bit boring, but I spose I'll have to get over that if I ever want to learn anything haha. Thanks again everybody!!
Any other suggestions very much encouraged.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:24 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

I like your picture..had to play with it a little ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:32 pm  (#18) 
Global Moderator

Beautiful Job alc, thats what I had in mind too. just like invisible text. Love the idea of the invisible frame too. KUDO's

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:50 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

Nice job Alc.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:34 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Wow! Right on Alc!! Mind explaining what you did? Fuzzy select letters then clone stamp them? I just tried it, and whether or not thats what you did I learned something! Super excited hahahahaha.