It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GEGL
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:20 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8
Operating System: Linux
OS Version: Linux Mint 13
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

I'm just wondering what's up with GEGL. I haven't seen much mention of it here. Doing a web search, I didn't really see anything relevant. Whenever I try to use it, Gimp just freezes and I have to force quit. I was able to use it fine with 2.6. Has anybody else experienced this and/or know a solution?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: GEGL
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:22 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Sampson,

Yes, a few operations with GEGL have been failing me, too.

However, GIMP already can use GEGL for compositing its layers using GEGL and do its color manipulation using GEGL ops, it however still stores buffers in TileManagers and the integration with GEGL is done through proxy GEGL ops that fetch data from a TileManager or store data back in a TileManager.

According to the roadmap here, GEGL will be fully intergrated with GIMP in the next version of GIMP 2.10.

Also, you might be interested in reading the article here about the progress made to port GIMP to GEGL.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:38 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I just wanted to thank you for responding. I'll have to come back to this after coffee.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:28 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Often gegl operation cause a message about :" gimp no"t responding" ,
but usually is not responding just because too busy to process, it is just question to wait (i use sometimes gegl C2G on images about 4800x3600 depending from the setting gimp may remain almost 1h "not responding"

--------------

I see a very good news in the link , finally should be possible call gegl operation from script and plugin

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:24 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for responding as well Photocomix. Upon further examination, it is just some operations that cause problems, c2g being the worst. Whenever I try to use it, the preview doesn't even finish rendering. It just freezes and I have to force quit like I said above. I had read about the porting. I guess I'll just leave it alone for the most part and wait to see what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:32 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

GEGL operations are either freakingly too slow (c2g) or crash. Rarely even use them via the drop menu operators. I sure do hope they figure out a way to both make them stable and fast by 2.10x. :)

Psalm 109:8